XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
mellyrivvsbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: Silver 2005 BMW X5

Arrow Shaking Steering Wheel Help Needed, BMW says no problem!

I have a 2005 BMW X5 that has given me no problems with the exceptions of the past 5 months. The problem is my steering wheel shakes (usually on the highway) but it doesn't shake all the time. I've taken it to BMW to be checked out multiple times and they say everything on the car is fine and when they test drive it, there's no shaking (figures, right?). Tires have been rotated, suspension and alignment have been checked, what could it be? Any ideas on what I should mention to the guys at BMW next time I bring it in?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
pink3series
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5

Does the vehicle shake on a certain part of a highway? Does it shake more when you press your brakes?

I know for a fact that I95 near my home has always made by all my cars shake on a certain stretch, the road itself is screwy.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
mellyrivvsbmw
Registered
Rep

Not on any certain part of highway and not when I use the brakes, just randomly. It also happens on small/side roads too, there's really no predicting when it'll start shaking.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
pink3series
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5

I had similar issue with one of my cars. It turned out it was my lower control arm bushing. (safety first) Jack your car up and grab the control arm , then try moving it by shaking it back and forth. If it moves its probablly loose or the bushing itself is bad/worn. If that checks out try moving other suspension parts, like the upper control arm, or even try shaking your wheel. Put your left hand on the wheel in the 12 o'clock postion and the other at 6 and try to wiggle it. If anything moves you will have to change the releated bushing/bearing if its the wheel, not the entire component.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
mellyrivvsbmw
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegreyx View Post
I had similar issue with one of my cars. It turned out it was my lower control arm bushing. (safety first) Jack your car up and grab the control arm , then try moving it by shaking it back and forth. If it moves its probablly loose or the bushing itself is bad/worn. If that checks out try moving other suspension parts, like the upper control arm, or even try shaking your wheel. Put your left hand on the wheel in the 12 o'clock postion and the other at 6 and try to wiggle it. If anything moves you will have to change the releated bushing/bearing if its the wheel, not the entire component.
thanks a lot! I'll be sure to give this a try
Appreciate 0