XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Misha K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Smile 2011 x5d speakers size

hello..i have recently installed an amp in the trunk where the tire should be..in 2011 models ,the original amp is behind the stereo,when previously it was in the back..so now that i have installed the amp,it sounds better,but not there yet...to my surprise,i was told that there is only 4!!!!! speakers in the car..yes only 4..and thats 1 in each door..so i was given a price to swap them out,however i think i can find it much cheaper and perphaps even better quality/brand..they want to install pioneer..Does anybody know the exact size of the speakers so i can easily look it up on the net..i was told they are all the same size..thank you in advance..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
X5Beemaah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i Alpine White

I'm assuming you didnt get the premium sounds and that is why you are changing? The prem sounds is nice and would be confused as to why you would be changing it out. As far as aspeakers go, I've had good luck with Kicker in other vehicles years ago. I believe there are higher quality speakers than Pioneer though, it all depends on your budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Assuming the base audio system, you have 6 speakers.

2 6.5" subwoofers under the seat and 4 almost 4" mid drivers in the doors. There is a empty cavity for tweeters that is populated on the upgraded audio system in the door. You can add a tweeter there for some more highs if you like.

I wouldn't go around just replacing your speakers with just any off the shelf product as your sound quality would likely go down.

The subwoofers are in in a 8" frame with 6.5" drivers. They are VERY shallow. You can probably get a pair of Earthquake SWS8 in there but will require an external amplifier.

I believe someone else on the forum have sucessfully used a pair of Morel Hybrid Ovations for the doors.

Be prepared to use a signal processing device to tweak the new equipment to the car as the head unit does some filtering of the different channels when they acoustically designed the hardware of the sound system into the car.

My advice to you is if you want to go cheap and all you want is a little more bass, add a subwoofer enclosure for a little more bass and be done with it. Else, be prepared to spend a good bit of money to get a sound system worthy of the truck.

Good Luck!

Last edited by smallseafishie; 01-08-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Misha K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Thank u so much for all that info,.I was told that base sound package only has 4 speakers.and they want 200 for a pair to put in pioneer .may be something else .I quess my preference.as far as base is that I am not sure that I want that.I get enough of base from good quality speakers.so u saying I can also put tweeters in the door next to a 4 inch door speakers?and in a conceal speaker right?and u saying that front and back speakers are different size which is also something different I was advised by the shop...thank u for all the info )
Appreciate 0