XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-08-2023, 09:41 PM   #1
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

2011 E70 35i codes: 2E0F-2D43-Bad valvetronic motor.

My 2011 e70 35i has been running well.
This morning when starting, it sounded a bit weird. I thought it was the starter I replaced a few months ago going bad.

I drive it probably 30 miles and started it 5 times within a couple of hours.
Then it didn’t want to start. It was left parked and I went back with my scanner 30 minutes after and it started up and sounded fine. I drove it to a friends house and read the codes.

2E0F: Valvetronic system: disabled, too frequent
2D43: Valvetronic Adjustment Range: Fault range check

From what I have read, it is the Valvetronic motor that is faulty.
I have also read that the Valvetronic shaft could have wear when I take the valve cover off. I did read that code 2E0F disables the Valvetronic system, this results in odd cold starts and some people drive it like this.

I left the car at my friends house because I didn’t want to damage the Valvetronic shaft. I need to drive it roughly 5 miles/10min to my house to work on it.
It should be fine right?

When starting, there is also a slight whining noise for the first few seconds then it goes away, when I shut the car off, I can hear (what I believe is) the motor trying to move around, like a clicking noise)
When I try to calibrate it in protools, it says successful, but it sounds like rapid clicking in the half second it calibrates and the code will not clear.
I went back to it earlier to see if the codes were gone but they weren’t. This was its second cold start all day and the idle cut out real bad at the first start up but corrected itself.

I’ve read removing MHD will sometimes help, I’ll try to flash to stock first.
I also read battery voltage issues would cause this but my battery is at 14v while idling and no other codes.

When I remove the valve cover and install new sensor, if I plug the sensor in and turn the key on, the VT motor should spin right? I don’t want to install a faulty motor and only find out when everything is out back together.

What are the odds the VT shaft is ruined?
I’ll post a video of the noise it makes when I start it and shut it off.

Thanks for any help.
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown

Last edited by Serf27; 11-10-2023 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
This is outside my limited skillset... hope you can figure it out and it's a reasonably straightforward fix!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:34 AM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am still hoping that the mhd flash back to stock will correct this. Though, having mhd on for 2 years, any hope I have is tiny.

I am going to do an oil flush and see if it is the oil feed line for the motor and shaft that is clogged.
I also ordered an amp tester for the battery to make sure it’s in good order.

Otherwise, I got a new Valvetronic motor today and ordered gasket for the valve cover and injector housings. The valve cover will have to be removed to replace it. I am hoping that once the cover is removed, the shaft has no wear and doesn’t need replacing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0