XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
acho71
Rep
Drives: Maser QPS

Test Drove X5M

The car was a launch car in Silverstone and Black interior. They had a X6M in black as well for me to test drive but the wifey gave me the look (I had a X6 50i and got rid of it due to impractical back seats - well her idea actually) so ended up driving the X5M.

Impressions - for some reason there doesn't seem to be any turbo lag whatsoever in the M car vs the 5.0i car I had. The power, I won't go as far as saying that it's noticeably exhilirating or breath taking but you can feel that there is power difference between the X650 vs the X5M. The handling is much tighter on the M vs the X5 with Sport Package but the X650 seemed to handle just as well if not better actually. The paddle shifters are pretty responsive, but not SMG responsive but better than the wife's Maser QPS's paddle shifter. The X5M seemed to have Servo like the X650 with SP. The HUD is like the M5/M6 with the RPM displaying in color. The Backup camera is FINALLY FIXED, with high res like the new 7er. Our X650 backup camera felt like it was like a camera phone from the late 90s. The iDrive is the new one as well. The exhaust does sound very aggressive, probably 2 or so notches more aggressive than the X650 motor.

I would have bought the car on the spot had it NOT been Silverstone and missing so many options. I was told all launch cars were $91K cars. I would have for sure opted for the Active Ventilated seats and the Silverstone didn't look so hot in the X5. So ordered Black on Black with all options minus the smartphone integration. Was a bit torn between the piano wood or the carbon leather but ended up going with carbon to give it a little contrast inside. I can honestly say that I REALLY wanted a X6M but with 3 kids it would have been tough to haul all of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

thanks for info..and congrats on order.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

THis is the first drive impression I have read of the X5M. THanks! I am also waiting for mine and I can't wait to test it against my C63.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by acho71 View Post
The car was a launch car in Silverstone and Black interior. They had a X6M in black as well for me to test drive but the wifey gave me the look (I had a X6 50i and got rid of it due to impractical back seats - well her idea actually) so ended up driving the X5M.

Impressions - for some reason there doesn't seem to be any turbo lag whatsoever in the M car vs the 5.0i car I had. The power, I won't go as far as saying that it's noticeably exhilirating or breath taking but you can feel that there is power difference between the X650 vs the X5M. The handling is much tighter on the M vs the X5 with Sport Package but the X650 seemed to handle just as well if not better actually. The paddle shifters are pretty responsive, but not SMG responsive but better than the wife's Maser QPS's paddle shifter. The X5M seemed to have Servo like the X650 with SP. The HUD is like the M5/M6 with the RPM displaying in color. The Backup camera is FINALLY FIXED, with high res like the new 7er. Our X650 backup camera felt like it was like a camera phone from the late 90s. The iDrive is the new one as well. The exhaust does sound very aggressive, probably 2 or so notches more aggressive than the X650 motor.

I would have bought the car on the spot had it NOT been Silverstone and missing so many options. I was told all launch cars were $91K cars. I would have for sure opted for the Active Ventilated seats and the Silverstone didn't look so hot in the X5. So ordered Black on Black with all options minus the smartphone integration. Was a bit torn between the piano wood or the carbon leather but ended up going with carbon to give it a little contrast inside. I can honestly say that I REALLY wanted a X6M but with 3 kids it would have been tough to haul all of them.
i dont understand!! if you are not impressed by the car why do you buy it!?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
I just test drove the X5M, and I have one word to describe it...M-AZING! The exhaust sounded sick, and the throttle response was crazy!! I wasn't crazy about the Silverstone, but I loved everything else about the car.
Attached Images

09-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

It looks good in silverstone IMO.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
acho71
Rep
Drives: Maser QPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
i dont understand!! if you are not impressed by the car why do you buy it!?!?
I don't recall saying I wasn't "impressed" with it. I would have preferred a X6M but the wife is against it, that's all. If the X6M is any better than the X650i I had (I'm possitive it is) then the X6M is going to be the 9th Wonder of the World.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Bmw Are U Reading This ?

U still forgot to put grab handles in the roof liner of the x6M! Handles works better then the side "knee pads" in the front seats & help people lift themselves up during ingress/egress over the sport seats.
If u can squeeze 2 turbos & ccm in between the v8, why can't u squeeze 4 x3/4" grab handle in the roof liner?? Go Fiqure!
What about a button to close the rear hatch after loud audio warning? So driver doesn't have to step out to close the hatch.
when passenger forgets.
Now that x5 has same ttv8, dpc, the grab handles, BIG sunroof & M it's definitely the "Family" car for saturday racing dads!

Last edited by archwerks; 09-06-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

I test drove an X5M yesterday and was very impressed. Turbo lag is barely evident and there was plenty of power, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. I guess that is where the weight is most evident, because if it weighted 1000lbs less it would feel very different. The engine also has a subtle growl to it under acceleration, which sounds nice. It is similar to the sound of a new M3, but not as loud. All the torque is nice, but I prefer the high RPM rush of an NA motor.

The handling/transmission/steering were even more impressive then the engine to me. I took a fairly tight right/left sweeper at speed and the X5M felt so planted and there was very little body roll. The steering also was fairly light (a bit like my E90 M3), but had great feel and really made the X5M feel much lighter than it is.

Brakes felt good, but I really didn't push them hard. The front 4 piston calipers are enormous!

Both up and down shifts were very fast and smooth (much better than my X5 4.8). Up shifts under hard acceleration even resulted in a noticeable (but subtle) bark out of the exhausts, which I liked.

Overall it is certainly a great car and even though I don't really like SUVs much I think I could have a lot of fun in the X5M. On the other hand I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay $90k+ for an SUV, however great it is. The $60k for the 4.8 was a lot, but perhaps a few years from now when it is time to replace the 4.8 I'll look for a used X5M.
      09-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

After our experience earlier this year in the X6 ///M we couldn’t wait to get some seat time in its sibling, the X5 ///M. The X5 is powered by the same 555 hp/500 lb-ft twin turbo V8 as the X6 version. An engine we have covered in great detail here. The standard E70 platform has been stiffened and the suspension given the ///M treatment along with many other tweaks to improve performance and looks. The X5 pictured is Carbon Black, and looks fantastic in person as the color is a dark blue that grabs the light and refracts it beautifully. Monte Carlo Blue is another excellent color choice for this vehicle and was featured in the official release photos.

///Motor

The engine is a masterpiece. It quickly spools and never feels like it is out of breathe thanks to the patented manifold and use of twin scroll turbos. What continues to surprise us with this engine is how relatively efficient it is. “Relatively” was used because it is still no fuel miser, although who would expect something packing all that punch to sip the fuel anyways? What it will get you is about 21 mpg on the highway and mid teens in the city. Considering this monster weighs in at over 5,500 lbs. and is getting ///M3 mileage says a lot about where BMW is terms of efficiency all without sacrificing performance.

Driving Impressions

The low exhaust note and burble when you let off the gas appears a tad louder in the X5, a function of improved software from the pre-production X6 we drove or thanks to the rear cargo area on the X5. Whatever the cause, it is wonderful. Sure you lose the high rev in this turbo V8, but with the flat torque curve it is highly unnecessary and compliments the vehicle dynamics well. Most of our readers will complain at the lack of a manual transmission option (as we enthusiasts tend to be left pedal snobs) but the tweaks in the auto along with the paddles make it “acceptable” if not enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable- especially when you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the Metro NYC area. If you put it in DS (Sport) and let the algorithms do their thing, it holds the gear and shifts just when a good driver would. Something most autos have issues with.

Handling is mind bending once you think about all that mass; Active Roll Stabilization, Dynamic Performance Control, Adjustable Dampers and a whole bunch of acronyms and technology help this vehicle drive better than many “sports cars” claim to. The same goes for braking. One would hope that vehicle that can accelerate so fast could stop as well; with the massive discs and calipers on this beast it stops just as well as it goes. So it is fast, nimble and can stop on a dime; it is not to be considered a weapon.

Is it Functional?

The X6 and X5 are near identical in the numbers, the feel and overall drive (Just as the ///M engineers promised us). Where the X5 shines is in in function. The X5 has more rear visibility out of the back, which is not all the necessary for backing up thanks to today’s rear cameras and park distance control but it is extremely necessary when you are rocketing in the night and trying to keep an eye out for those infamous Crown Vic’ headlights pacing you from behind. The X5 also has an enormous panoramic moon roof which when opened with all the windows down gives you a nice sound track and tons of wind in your hair.

The X5 seats 5 and has room to fit luggage or whatever in the back. It loses none of its day to day functionality outside of some ground clearance in ///M form. BMW even kept the roof rack on, for a cargo carrier or those Home Depot runs. In this vehicle you could race (literally) your way to the kid’s Little League practice then head over to the ‘Depot and pick up some lumber for the that clubhouse you are supposed to build all in a vehicle with a sub 4.5 second 0-60 time. That isn’t half bad!

Interior

The interior will feature some ///M exclusives such as the trim, colors, steering wheel and HUD. The new iDrive will be ushered into the X5 with this model as well. The overall interior is what you have come to expect from a modern BMW in terms of fit and finish, classy and well done. The Carbon Leather trim looks great with the contrasting Silverstone Merino Leather, adding a two-toned feel to the interior thanks to the anthracite headliner. BMW and ///M have stepped the luxury up a notch here, you can go as far as choosing the optional leather trimmed dash with this vehicle.

Once again though, like the X6 ///M, the base seats are disappointing for an ///M offering. They lack adjustable side bolsters so the optional Comfort Seats are an absolute must for any enthusiast requiring adequate lateral support. Considering the fabulous seats the base ///M3 comes with one would expect this vehicle to have something along the same lines. Are we missing something here, or is because this will be more for shuttling kids to and fro rather than track days?

Conclusions

Aside from the seats, the worst part of this X5 is the situation you will find yourself in on Saturday mornings when you pull up to the track. Your Spec E30 racer in tow (because last time your drove it on the street you caught a stone in the windshield) and decide that you don’t feel like taking the car off the trailer since it is a pain to remove all those tie downs just to put them back on later; you opt to take some hot laps in your SAV instead. All kidding aside, while the execution and performance of this SAV is off the charts, how many people will be tracking it? We doubt there will be many but it is a definite option.

The more we experience the torque vectoring of the Dynamic Performance Control the more we marvel at it. The things it allows you to do with a vehicle so heavy just should not be possible. It is as if DPC defies the laws of physics, thus allowing you to push the vehicle on the street and the track.

Many of us enthusiasts scoffed at the idea of ///M SAVs and it still has not been accepted by some, but the X5 like the X6 is no slouch and deserves the ///M badge it proudly wears. There is no comparison between the top of the line with ZSP X6 or X5 and these vehicles. If anyone says any different they have never pushed the vehicles- the difference is quite apparent and overwhelming in every aspect.

While the X5 ///M will not be for everyone (the $90,000 price helps that) it really does blur the lines of an SAV and a sports car quite well and will not disappoint in terms of performance and execution.

Originally from BimmerFile.com but though many of you interested in the read.
      09-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

After our experience earlier this year in the X6 ///M we couldn’t wait to get some seat time in its sibling, the X5 ///M. The X5 is powered by the same 555 hp/500 lb-ft twin turbo V8 as the X6 version. An engine we have covered in great detail here. The standard E70 platform has been stiffened and the suspension given the ///M treatment along with many other tweaks to improve performance and looks. The X5 pictured is Carbon Black, and looks fantastic in person as the color is a dark blue that grabs the light and refracts it beautifully. Monte Carlo Blue is another excellent color choice for this vehicle and was featured in the official release photos.

///Motor

The engine is a masterpiece. It quickly spools and never feels like it is out of breathe thanks to the patented manifold and use of twin scroll turbos. What continues to surprise us with this engine is how relatively efficient it is. “Relatively” was used because it is still no fuel miser, although who would expect something packing all that punch to sip the fuel anyways? What it will get you is about 21 mpg on the highway and mid teens in the city. Considering this monster weighs in at over 5,500 lbs. and is getting ///M3 mileage says a lot about where BMW is terms of efficiency all without sacrificing performance.

Driving Impressions

The low exhaust note and burble when you let off the gas appears a tad louder in the X5, a function of improved software from the pre-production X6 we drove or thanks to the rear cargo area on the X5. Whatever the cause, it is wonderful. Sure you lose the high rev in this turbo V8, but with the flat torque curve it is highly unnecessary and compliments the vehicle dynamics well. Most of our readers will complain at the lack of a manual transmission option (as we enthusiasts tend to be left pedal snobs) but the tweaks in the auto along with the paddles make it “acceptable” if not enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable- especially when you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the Metro NYC area. If you put it in DS (Sport) and let the algorithms do their thing, it holds the gear and shifts just when a good driver would. Something most autos have issues with.

Handling is mind bending once you think about all that mass; Active Roll Stabilization, Dynamic Performance Control, Adjustable Dampers and a whole bunch of acronyms and technology help this vehicle drive better than many “sports cars” claim to. The same goes for braking. One would hope that vehicle that can accelerate so fast could stop as well; with the massive discs and calipers on this beast it stops just as well as it goes. So it is fast, nimble and can stop on a dime; it is not to be considered a weapon.

Is it Functional?

The X6 and X5 are near identical in the numbers, the feel and overall drive (Just as the ///M engineers promised us). Where the X5 shines is in in function. The X5 has more rear visibility out of the back, which is not all the necessary for backing up thanks to today’s rear cameras and park distance control but it is extremely necessary when you are rocketing in the night and trying to keep an eye out for those infamous Crown Vic’ headlights pacing you from behind. The X5 also has an enormous panoramic moon roof which when opened with all the windows down gives you a nice sound track and tons of wind in your hair.

The X5 seats 5 and has room to fit luggage or whatever in the back. It loses none of its day to day functionality outside of some ground clearance in ///M form. BMW even kept the roof rack on, for a cargo carrier or those Home Depot runs. In this vehicle you could race (literally) your way to the kid’s Little League practice then head over to the ‘Depot and pick up some lumber for the that clubhouse you are supposed to build all in a vehicle with a sub 4.5 second 0-60 time. That isn’t half bad!

Interior

The interior will feature some ///M exclusives such as the trim, colors, steering wheel and HUD. The new iDrive will be ushered into the X5 with this model as well. The overall interior is what you have come to expect from a modern BMW in terms of fit and finish, classy and well done. The Carbon Leather trim looks great with the contrasting Silverstone Merino Leather, adding a two-toned feel to the interior thanks to the anthracite headliner. BMW and ///M have stepped the luxury up a notch here, you can go as far as choosing the optional leather trimmed dash with this vehicle.

Once again though, like the X6 ///M, the base seats are disappointing for an ///M offering. They lack adjustable side bolsters so the optional Comfort Seats are an absolute must for any enthusiast requiring adequate lateral support. Considering the fabulous seats the base ///M3 comes with one would expect this vehicle to have something along the same lines. Are we missing something here, or is because this will be more for shuttling kids to and fro rather than track days?

Conclusions

Aside from the seats, the worst part of this X5 is the situation you will find yourself in on Saturday mornings when you pull up to the track. Your Spec E30 racer in tow (because last time your drove it on the street you caught a stone in the windshield) and decide that you don’t feel like taking the car off the trailer since it is a pain to remove all those tie downs just to put them back on later; you opt to take some hot laps in your SAV instead. All kidding aside, while the execution and performance of this SAV is off the charts, how many people will be tracking it? We doubt there will be many but it is a definite option.

The more we experience the torque vectoring of the Dynamic Performance Control the more we marvel at it. The things it allows you to do with a vehicle so heavy just should not be possible. It is as if DPC defies the laws of physics, thus allowing you to push the vehicle on the street and the track.

Many of us enthusiasts scoffed at the idea of ///M SAVs and it still has not been accepted by some, but the X5 like the X6 is no slouch and deserves the ///M badge it proudly wears. There is no comparison between the top of the line with ZSP X6 or X5 and these vehicles. If anyone says any different they have never pushed the vehicles- the difference is quite apparent and overwhelming in every aspect.

While the X5 ///M will not be for everyone (the $90,000 price helps that) it really does blur the lines of an SAV and a sports car quite well and will not disappoint in terms of performance and execution.

Originally from BimmerFile.com but though many of you interested in the read.

Good post!

I saw the X6M at a dealer last week, and stumbled upon a brand new X5M in my parking garage today. Both vehicles look amazing, and I look forward to test driving them at some point. The engine seems like a true performer.

Either way, I know I won't be buying. Regardless of the performance, the price tag is just way too high. 90K for a SAV or SUV is crazy to me. But for those of you with different preferences, I'm sure you'll really enjoy this car! I'm jealous!
      09-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
FikseGTS
Private
Rep
Drives: E55,Viper,Q7

Garage List
Can you get the 3rd row seating in the X5M?
      09-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FikseGTS View Post
Can you get the 3rd row seating in the X5M?
No, actually you can't so it does lose a little in terms of function but the rear seats are real tight and for small kids only...
      10-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
mkaresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Lexus GS 400

Has anyone driven both the X5 M and the X6 M? Do they drive any differently?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
I currently drive an '09 X5 4.8 w/MSport - looks kinda like the X5M, but not where near as fast. Anyway, I have been looking to order a '10 X5M and wondered if anyone knows how available they are? I have heard they are limited production based on the number of engines produced. Should I be able to order one with a 60 day or so production window?

Last edited by kamichael; 10-13-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0