XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #1
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

S63 and CRC Valve Cleaner?

Guys,

I'm new to a 2013 X5M (S63 motor) and from my understanding this motor is direct injection. My wife has a traverse that has the GM direct injection V6 and DI engines are notorious for carbon build up on the intake valves as there is no "washing of the valves" as with a traditional port injection system. I know most of you know this, but my question is can you do the CRC valve cleaner on these motors and how do you go about it as there are two trottle bodies/intake boots? The car I have only has 9K miles on it, so I want to make this a regular procedure for each oil change as it will help me keep ahead of the curve and keep the buildup down. My wife's car already has 100K on the clock and the buildup is pretty bad and it's difficult for the CRC to do any good and I might have to go the Crushed Walnut blasting method now to take care of the valves.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

You probably would have to do the walnut blasting, unless you want to spray the cleaner after the turbos. I think the cleaner would lose a lot of its effectiveness before the turbos, but I don't have an M.
      04-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

You could probably spray some of the CRC stuff through the crankcase tubes. (#1 and #2 in pic) They connect to the intake manifold after the throttle valve. Check for some guides on how to spray CRC. I would think spraying a small volume at a time would be the way to go and have someone press the gas a little. Expect misfires and throttle valve fault codes.

I helped my brother walnut blast is N54 Z4 at 30k and there was a lot of carbon build up. I can only imagine how much carbon we must have. I have the tools for walnut blasting but I don't want to drop the engine to gain enough access to do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #4
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
You could probably spray some of the CRC stuff through the crankcase tubes. (#1 and #2 in pic) They connect to the intake manifold after the throttle valve. Check for some guides on how to spray CRC. I would think spraying a small volume at a time would be the way to go and have someone press the gas a little. Expect misfires and throttle valve fault codes.

I helped my brother walnut blast is N54 Z4 at 30k and there was a lot of carbon build up. I can only imagine how much carbon we must have. I have the tools for walnut blasting but I don't want to drop the engine to gain enough access to do it.
Just curious as to what you used for the walnut blasting and any advise as I'm thinking of doing this on my wife's traverse. It's fairly easy to reach all the intake plenums and valves on this motor as the intake comes off in 10 minutes and I can see/reach all of them with the motor in the car.

Probably won't be doing this on the E70 anytime soon and will try and see if I can use the CRC to keep it at bay for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
Just curious as to what you used for the walnut blasting and any advise as I'm thinking of doing this on my wife's traverse. It's fairly easy to reach all the intake plenums and valves on this motor as the intake comes off in 10 minutes and I can see/reach all of them with the motor in the car.

Probably won't be doing this on the E70 anytime soon and will try and see if I can use the CRC to keep it at bay for a while.
This is the walnut blasting kit I have. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bavarian...-kit/b1100008/

my brother got the adapter that fits the port perfectly. (so you won't have walnut shells flying everywhere.

You'll also need an air compressor and shop vac. I see that you're located in TX. If you're in the Dallas area, I don't mind lending you the kit.

My X5M has 100k and it seems that the carbon buildup is not causing any issues that are noticeable. I do drive it hard and rev the engine out often which hard can help with carbon build up. "Italian Tune-Up" :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:39 PM   #6
jpuma
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Probably won't be doing this on the E70 anytime soon and will try and see if I can use the CRC to keep it at bay for a while.[/QUOTE]

Have you had any luck with the CRC cleaning? I have a 2012 at 103K miles. Was thinking of doing the same.
Appreciate 0