XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Dash "Service" Message - How To Clear?

2009 X5 4.8 - I am getting a "Service" message on the dash and cant find out how to clear the message. It is the word Service and a picture of a car. The picture is not the one in the manual where it is a car on a lift. It is just a car and the word Service. Looking at the details, it appears to be telling me I am due to have my brake fluid changed. I am about 3 months from an oil change and dont want to make two trips just for a fluid change (it is not saying it is low). But I dont want to look at the message for three months.

Any idea how to clear the message? I cant find it in the manual

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Try this, I copied it from the M3 forum when I had my M3.

Turn ignition to Terminal 15.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button for 10 seconds.
The upper display in the Instrument Cluster will be illuminated with a Service Item (example: An oil can is the designation for Oil Service). The lower display in the Instrument Cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that Service Item (example: 14000). Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service Items.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again and the lower display screen will indicate "OK" or "DUE".
Pressing the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again will allow the "RESET" to appear in the lower window for that service. Releasing and reapplying the button one more time will reset the service displayed in the upper window only. Repeat the procedure for any additional service reset needs.
Note: The CBS service items for both State Vehicle Safety Inspection and State Emissions Inspection cannot be viewed in the Instrument Cluster. These State Inspections can be viewed on the CBS Menu in the Control Display or by DISplus / GT1.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertfg View Post
Try this, I copied it from the M3 forum when I had my M3.

Turn ignition to Terminal 15.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button for 10 seconds.
The upper display in the Instrument Cluster will be illuminated with a Service Item (example: An oil can is the designation for Oil Service). The lower display in the Instrument Cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that Service Item (example: 14000). Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service Items.
Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again and the lower display screen will indicate "OK" or "DUE".
Pressing the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button again will allow the "RESET" to appear in the lower window for that service. Releasing and reapplying the button one more time will reset the service displayed in the upper window only. Repeat the procedure for any additional service reset needs.
Note: The CBS service items for both State Vehicle Safety Inspection and State Emissions Inspection cannot be viewed in the Instrument Cluster. These State Inspections can be viewed on the CBS Menu in the Control Display or by DISplus / GT1.
Thanks for the reply but it didn't work. I think this one requires a trip to the dealer to clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Invest in a BT tool... (May seem like an expensive option) You can check your codes and find out what exactly caused the issue... I have one myself.

Just my .02 cents

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0