XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
justforfun
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 (sold)

Military Car Sales

Hi,

I am excited to let you guys know that I 'will be purchasing a 2013 X6 35i In the beginning I was debating between a 535iX and X6 and let me tell you it's a hard decision

Question: Does anyone know if it's a good deal to purchase through overseas Military Car Sales? Negatives? Positives? I was thinking to just be paitient and get it at a dealer in the states I'll return to the states December of next year so I'll be getting the 2013 model.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X6

I purchased my 335 thru military sales, and let me tell ya it was the best decision! Now your purchasing X6 which is made in the US might just take a little longer cause they have to ship it over there, and then you will have the military ship it for free when you move to the states. I would say buy it thru them if you have time.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
My X5M was built in week 39, I think around September. It arrived in Germany a month later and I picked it up on my birthday. Ordering it through military sales saves you a lot of money. Anyway, good luck. Mine was stolen couple days ago after owning it for 9 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
justforfun
Rep

This will be confusing for those who are not familiar with Military car sales

I was told by the dealer that I can start making payments towards the car after I put a $2k down and in September 2012 I'll have to add an additional $5k to start building the car to my specs. Also, the dealer will give 2% interest on the money I paid in advance up to September...I actually have to purchase the car in full in September 2012 and pick up the car up in December 2012 when I arrive in the states.

Is there anything I miss? Is it possible to negotiate anything with the dealer like accessories or ??

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Biggest thing to consider is whether or not to take possession in the states or not. Can be hit with taxes vice overseas delivery/titling so it qualifies as a used vehicle upon return to the states. May want to check on that, not sure of your options though being in the Pacific.
      11-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
justforfun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
Biggest thing to consider is whether or not to take possession in the states or not. Can be hit with taxes vice overseas delivery/titling so it qualifies as a used vehicle upon return to the states. May want to check on that, not sure of your options though being in the Pacific.
I forgot all about tax issues. Does anyone know how that works? I know if I speak to the dealer they'll only give me info I want to know not need to know. They never mentioned any hidden fees like taxes when registering the vehicle in the states. I live in California, but will be picking up the vehicle in Washington State and live there for 3 years. I'll eventually move back to California....will I have to pay taxes in California as well when I register the vehicle? I'll pay taxes I just want to prepare for it

These are tough questions, but I'm throwing it out there hoping someone has some type of experience
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep

on the taxes issue, it all depends on which state you are going to register your vehicle in, I know California they will charge you the entire amount reason why I registered mine in Georgia where i got stationed at and only have to pay $25 due to being military and the valorem tax being exempt, so look into the state that you will be stationed at it might be cheaper then California. Now on the military sales issue is this the dealer your going with that is asking you for all this? when I bought mine I chose the way i wanted the car, had to give a down payment of $500 that was later refunded, and just waited for my car to be delivered, it might help if your getting a loan for it to already have the loan pre-aproved. I hope this helps?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep

Also before u sign anything take a copy of the paperwork to your legal department so they can review it and help you out!! sounds to me like they might be trying to rip you off.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
This will be confusing for those who are not familiar with Military car sales

I was told by the dealer that I can start making payments towards the car after I put a $2k down and in September 2012 I'll have to add an additional $5k to start building the car to my specs. Also, the dealer will give 2% interest on the money I paid in advance up to September...I actually have to purchase the car in full in September 2012 and pick up the car up in December 2012 when I arrive in the states.
That sounds weird. Once you put money down 328i is $1000, 335i is $2000, M3 is $3000
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
justforfun
Rep

Yes, $2k is to start the paperwork so I can be paying in advance on the car until September where I have to additionally put $5k to start the building of the car. I will be going to Washington State and i'll be registering the car there, but in 3 years will probably go back to California and I want to know if California will tax me again on the car. Probably not since, it will be a used car by then but....

This weekend i'll go back to the dealer and find out more.

Question: Will taxes be the same if I was to buy the car overseas and buying it in the states?

I wish I had all the answers that's why i'm glad I found this forum
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep

WHen you purchase the vehicle overseas thru military sales you dont pay taxes on it, it is waved due to you being overseas and another perk you get is that you dont have to pay to get it shipped back to the states, the military will do that for you. I still dont understand why they are making you give 2k down and then another 5k, that just dosent sound right!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

I just completed my second purchase through mil sales in Italy. You should contact Cal's DMV directly and get the reg on taxes. When I moved to TX I had no problem because I owned my vehicle for longer than three months. Paid no tax. But if you are going right back to the states then you could be subject to state tax laws.

Back to your original question about buying through mil car sales. It's good for the tax free and shipping program. But we lose out on the flexibility of negotiating with local dealers and leveraging other dealers against each other for lower prices. We are putting down 30k cash and getting zero incentive. If I was stateside the dealer would through in a pkg or upgraded wheels or cut the price. And there are other incentives we miss out on. Either way I'm glad we have mil sales. Saved us at least 10k all in all.
      12-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Do military sales. I wish i would have done it while I was in the service.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Do military sales. I wish i would have done it while I was in the service.
Agreed. However, USAA is also a great option for Service Members and Veterans as well. Check em out if you have not already done so.
      12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
justforfun
Rep

Ok guys I think I misunderstood the downpayment part. It won't affect me since i'll have money I paid in advance on the car prior to September.

Here in Okinawa we can't purchase stateside cars and drive it around here. Here we drive on the opposite side of the road. Since the X6 is built in the states, I'll pick it up in Washington State when I arrive in December. I guess I'll pay the taxes when I register the car with DMV. I will call DMV when I have time.

Question: When I'm building the car on BMW website, there is no option for Power Liftgate or moon roof...are they standard?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

Was on my X5.

Quote:
Ok guys I think I misunderstood the downpayment part. It won't affect me since i'll have money I paid in advance on the car prior to September.

Here in Okinawa we can't purchase stateside cars and drive it around here. Here we drive on the opposite side of the road. Since the X6 is built in the states, I'll pick it up in Washington State when I arrive in December. I guess I'll pay the taxes when I register the car with DMV. I will call DMV when I have time.

Question: When I'm building the car on BMW website, there is no option for Power Liftgate or moon roof...are they standard?
      12-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:

I believe that the power liftgate is an option available with the tech package... the power moonroof is standard on the X6
      12-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Agreed. However, USAA is also a great option for Service Members and Veterans as well. Check em out if you have not already done so.
I have but got a better deal doing european and negotiating with dealer. They have been my insurance company for over 15 years.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0