XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Do people try to race you?

I haven't had the X5M very long and don't drive very often, but when I do, seems like it attracts wannabe racers.
I was just cruising along on the highway and this Acura TL pulls up besides me for a bit, then gasses up. I assume it was an aftermarket exhaust because it was definitely loud, but he barely pulled away from me. I just kept cruising along. Later, I see the TL again and when I got next to him, he did it again. Ok, I ignored him and let him run along. Later, I see him again and guns it - this time, I gassed it up (barely) and left him in the dust and never saw him again.
Does this happen to you guys too?

Last edited by mleun481; 02-23-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I don't have an M so the badges aren't there but for some reason I seem to attract big diesel trucks that think they are quick.

Like the OP, a little squirt from the light up through second usually sets the record straight.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Oh yea I get people trying to race me in mine all the time. Especially when I'm using my stock wheels they see a big blue truck with quad pipes and black wheels that looks like it means business. I usually won't race anyone unless I'm in the mood, but when I do I make sure I win haha. The looks on some peoples faces at the next light is just priceless. The best was when I beat an older 09 Gallardo from a dig and at the next light he was just like WTF IS THAT THING!?! I freaking love this rig for that

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've only an M sport but if I'm in the outside lane on occasion I'll get the 18 year old in his Civic, when I'm in the M5 though everytime I'll get everyone try to have a go but the beast'll just chew 'em up and spit them out
My best was a 911 Turbo 996, guy about 24 thought he was a Baller and then I just left him, guys face was priceless when he caught up

'M' cars in the UK at least are looked highly upon and if you're in the outside lane loads of people will have a go at racing with you, until the 5-0 turn up must admit if I saw and X5M I'd race him
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

man i miss my car reading this stuff lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Just had it happen 3 times today. Two decent cars (older STI and a cayenne GTS) then the classic Buick regal. Like from the 90s. Unbelievable.

Cayenne and STI were good though. As long as there is open road and it isn't putting anyone in harms way a decent pull through a couple gears never hurts.

FYI even though I have a slight injector issue my X5M absolutely murdered te STI and GTS. I mean murdered.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You could have murdered the Buick regal going in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Die Wolfe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3
Just had it happen 3 times today. Two decent cars (older STI and a cayenne GTS) then the classic Buick regal. Like from the 90s. Unbelievable.

Cayenne and STI were good though. As long as there is open road and it isn't putting anyone in harms way a decent pull through a couple gears never hurts.

FYI even though I have a slight injector issue my X5M absolutely murdered te STI and GTS. I mean murdered.
Beware of the Buick Regal T-Types though! Those are basically Grand Nationals and can easily run in the high 11s to low 12s for a 1/4 mile race at least.

But to the OP, yes, it's actually more annoying if anything. Every time some idiot tries to race me, it's either in very dangerous conditions with much traffic up ahead or a non worthy opponent who doesn't know any better. That's what I love about these beasts though, they are the total sleeper of all ///Ms!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Die Wolfe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy
man i miss my car reading this stuff lol
Hahahaha, so stop torturing yourself and buy a replacement already man!!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
weaverl8
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I've only had mine about a month and a half but I've noticed that people tend to drive more like jerks and not let me in a lane now that I have my M compared to when I drove a GMC Sierra. Had a impala speed up on purpose to not let me pass him on the right as I was merging on the highway the other day. I would have let him have it but there was another car in front of him that left me no room to get in before the lane ended. My fiancé has also experienced the same thing in his M3 and other luxury vehicles. I wish someone would try to race me! Then again, when they see a chick driving they may not think I'm up for it. How wrong they are!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Hahahaha, so stop torturing yourself and buy a replacement already man!!!! Lol
its in the shop haha, I'm just waiting i have to drive the RX when its in there and theres no comparison at all lol
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
BabyCAP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazOjla View Post
I've only an M sport but if I'm in the outside lane on occasion I'll get the 18 year old in his Civic, when I'm in the M5 though everytime I'll get everyone try to have a go but the beast'll just chew 'em up and spit them out
My best was a 911 Turbo 996, guy about 24 thought he was a Baller and then I just left him, guys face was priceless when he caught up

'M' cars in the UK at least are looked highly upon and if you're in the outside lane loads of people will have a go at racing with you, until the 5-0 turn up must admit if I saw and X5M I'd race him
M5

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyCAP View Post
M5

The M5 is an absolute beast, I wish the price of petrol wasn't so high in the UK so I could get an X5M, I'd love to just blow people away in a truck, it'd embarrass anyone, too bad they're pretty rare to see in the UK, there's only about 10 in the whole country!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverl8 View Post
I've only had mine about a month and a half but I've noticed that people tend to drive more like jerks and not let me in a lane now that I have my M compared to when I drove a GMC Sierra. Had a impala speed up on purpose to not let me pass him on the right as I was merging on the highway the other day. I would have let him have it but there was another car in front of him that left me no room to get in before the lane ended. My fiancé has also experienced the same thing in his M3 and other luxury vehicles. I wish someone would try to race me! Then again, when they see a chick driving they may not think I'm up for it. How wrong they are!
Me and my son were just on the motorway in the M5 once, saw a Ferrari 458 come on to the motorway hand he just looks at me
So let's see what happens if I push the M button and go right up his arse? He left us, but when the traffic got heavy because of a lane closure we both tried getting in and nobody would give way we were sat there for a good 15 mins and I have to hand it to this guy he just gets out of his shiny new 458 and just shouts at this guy and tells 'em to back up and get the traffic moving, he was successful and got the whole lane to back up, I was just crying with laughter when he just shouts at this guy in a Focus.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Usually not until they notice the badge. I passed an m3 on the hi way next thing I knew he was stocking me. So I worked him from a roll twice then we came to an intersection and I really worked him from a dig. He was cool he threw a thumbs up when I turned off. I got a new SRT8 Jeep and a modded 392 challanger awhile ago. I had a fully built twin turbo 350Z race me on the hi way he told everyone he had 550whp and ran 11s in the quarter (he was actually on the way home from the track) I dusted him although I still don't know how if he was in the 11s .

Now since I got rid of the cats and have the Eisenmann exhaust it's not much of a sleeper any more it sounds mean so I haven't got any action since then I do have a twin turbo SRT 8 Jeep waiting for me in the spring, he should blow my doors off about all I can hope for is that I get him early enough his tune isn't dialed in yet...
      02-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481
I haven't had the X5M very long and don't drive very often, but when I do, seems like it attracts wannabe racers.
I was just cruising along on the highway and this Acura TL pulls up besides me for a bit, then gasses up. I assume it was an aftermarket exhaust because it was definitely loud, but he barely pulled away from me. I just kept cruising along. Later, I see the TL again and when I got next to him, he did it again. Ok, I ignored him and let him run along. Later, I see him again and guns it - this time, I gassed it up (barely) and left him in the dust and never saw him again.
Does this happen to you guys too?
Where do you live in NYC? The only high I like is the up state highway, I always have friend and family with me, can't play around with other guys :(
      02-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I live in Brooklyn. Ive only seen 1 other x5m in my neighborhood. Where are you?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Nah, never... actually, just once. I raced my wife in my old IS-f and her in the X5M. She had me for the first 30 mph but it was game over after that. Of course, my IS-F isn't stock either. The turbo S would demolish the X5M at 1/2 throttle so we never raced.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #19
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481
I live in Brooklyn. Ive only seen 1 other x5m in my neighborhood. Where are you?
Yes sir, I'm from Brooklyn. If you seen a white x5m with vorsteiner cf front/rear and loud exhaust...just say hi to me

I live in sunset park.
      02-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #20
stlcity
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Happens to me a lot specially when stopped at a traffic light. Usually let it go...

Was parked at Starbucks recently. There were a few guys standing around few feet behind...Was priceless to see the expression on their faces when I turned it on. All of them turned at looked at it with expression on their faces suggesting: "What the hell is that?"....Lot of people I guess dont know that the "M" version exists. ..Its just another X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity View Post
Happens to me a lot specially when stopped at a traffic light. Usually let it go...

Was parked at Starbucks recently. There were a few guys standing around few feet behind...Was priceless to see the expression on their faces when I turned it on. All of them turned at looked at it with expression on their faces suggesting: "What the hell is that?"....Lot of people I guess dont know that the "M" version exists. ..Its just another X5.
Yup, love that exhaust sound. I expect more racers to come out when the weather warms up.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesupreme View Post
Yes sir, I'm from Brooklyn. If you seen a white x5m with vorsteiner cf front/rear and loud exhaust...just say hi to me

I live in sunset park.
Nice. Will do. Mine is stock in carbon black.
Appreciate 0