XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yah I noticed that after I posted. I don't mind the Tobacco seats (I have Cinnamon, not too different), it's just the fact everything is Tobacco, carpets, door cards, dash. Same as the sand/beige, it's just too much. At least with Cinnamon and Oyster you get the black carpets and other interior pieces.
100% agree. The lack of contrast with Beige and Tobacco makes it look like it came from the 80s. A cousin owns a beige E70, I have try hard not to look around the entire car when I sit in it, less I throw up.

Cinnamon on the other hand... looks amazing with the black carpets and brown bamboo trim (that's what I have). I get so much compliments for the interior.

BTW, I have sports seats. Multi-contour is great and all, but don't discount the sports seats. Nice and big, well bolstered:

04-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #24
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

That's the thing, I hate beige interiors but if they just had the color on the seats, doors and lower part of the dash, it would look amazing.

I loved my E60 M5 interior:

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #25
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 35i M Sport/ZMX/ZMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
So I have moved on from the 3 in Chicago. I dug around the CPO site as that sounds like the best option. Man, if Fairfax VA wasn't a 14 hr drive for me they have a few m sports to choose from. I did find a CPO with 22k 50i M sport in Nashville. They are putting a brand new motor in it per BMW due to some issues they found in the cert process. Should I see that as a positive or negative that it'll have a brand new motor?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #26
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrideX3 View Post
So I have moved on from the 3 in Chicago. I dug around the CPO site as that sounds like the best option. Man, if Fairfax VA wasn't a 14 hr drive for me they have a few m sports to choose from. I did find a CPO with 22k 50i M sport in Nashville. They are putting a brand new motor in it per BMW due to some issues they found in the cert process. Should I see that as a positive or negative that it'll have a brand new motor?
Wise choice moving away from the chicago ones.

If done correctly, it is a good thing that you'll get a brand new motor, but I don't think it's worth the headache. I looked at the one in Nashville - except the M-sport there's nothing appealing about that car, feature-wise (plus, Alpine white with Oyster???? that's an odd combo).

If i were in the market, I'd look at the other 50i in Nashville that I linked to earlier - super loaded with rare options, and seems to have about 8 months of factory warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #27
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

My 2c after driving a '12 35d for 18months. Torque is incredible, consumption tank to tank on urban cycle averages 22mpg. Mechanically, no issues at current 53,000miles.

I would not buy it again though.. I didn't test drive it long enough. Poor acceleration off the line (i.e. the immediate giddyup you need in heavy traffic commuting conditions I have is lacking), lazy programming on throttle response and shift responsiveness on the 6sp auto are exaggerated with this model. And its low speed, off idle clatter is pretty bad. As I am sure has been noted before, the 35d never got the 8sp auto in the E70 as did the other models for 2011-2013. Its a wonderful cruiser but it doesn't like to be hurried. So it depends on your driving style. Lastly, Standard suspension on 20inch style 214s is an awful ride, jouncy and rough - even with non RFT tires.

My do over would be a 35i with adaptive drive, non RFTs and I would look hard enough until I found one with ventilated comfort seats, pretty rare.

Since you're coming from an X3 and F30 you may like smaller nimble vehicles, pay attention to the width of an X5 exterior and driving position and where your elbows land while driving. E70 X5 is the first vehicle that I cannot comfortably rest my elbows on the top of the door card and on the armrest with both hands on the while, and so for my stature, this vehicle has ergonomics that don't work for me - causes neck strain.

Don't mean to be hating on it, but unfortunately, this car has not worked out well for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Good call, there's just too many out there to limit your decision to those 3.

I know some people are opposed to it, but many of us here have purchased and shipped a vehicle. Oftentimes it's a necessity if you're looking for a specific year/color/packaging/etc. Both of my current cars were shipped from out of state, it was the only way to get what I wanted.

If you're buying CPO, even more reason to buy and ship, those cars are generally in top condition and need little to nothing, at least initially. I found both of my cars on the BMWUSA.com CPO page.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #29
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I've had my 5.0i for 10000 miles since bought used. 2011 model. Only replaced the purge valve because it was making too much noise otherwise been good. It has 75k miles on it now.

Love the V8. Power and sound are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #30
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Wise choice moving away from the chicago ones.

If done correctly, it is a good thing that you'll get a brand new motor, but I don't think it's worth the headache. I looked at the one in Nashville - except the M-sport there's nothing appealing about that car, feature-wise (plus, Alpine white with Oyster???? that's an odd combo).

If i were in the market, I'd look at the other 50i in Nashville that I linked to earlier - super loaded with rare options, and seems to have about 8 months of factory warranty left.
It looks like we're heading to Nashville for the weekend. Between the two there we'll make a deal and if not we've never been to Nashville so it won't be a wasted trip. I'm excited to see just how badass these 50i really are. Although I'm gonna have to read up in break in on a new power plant. Thanks for all the good advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #31
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Good advice everyone. Thank you. Although we're not in any rush to replace the e83 I wanna get into an e70 while there are still some out there with low miles. The wife and I are heading to Nashville to check a few out we found on BMW CPO site. I can't resist the urge for TYV8 and finding a comprise by going CPO. I'll follow up with pics if we come home with an e70.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #32
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It looks like we're heading to Nashville for the weekend. Between the two there we'll make a deal and if not we've never been to Nashville so it won't be a wasted trip. I'm excited to see just how badass these 50i really are. Although I'm gonna have to read up in break in on a new power plant. Thanks for all the good advice.
Wishing you luck! Keep us posted. I hope you drive back home with the loaded 50i - I'd love for unicorns such as those to be snatched by a forum member who is aware and likely to appreciate the options.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #33
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking you'd already driven these various models, but after re-reading the earlier posts and this one above it sounds like you haven't? If that's correct, I wouldn't drive the 50i unless your ready and willing to buy it. Once you do, you won't want the inline 6, especially after reading your comments about wanting the V8.

I have and love the M Sport, but between the Alpine/Oyster M Sport and the loaded Sport model BMWX5er linked, I would easily choose the Sport model, it has way more options. In the E70 X5 world, that one would be considered 'loaded' - notably adaptive drive and comfort seats (comfort seats not noted in the online ad, but visible in pics and confirmed in the VIN decoder). Active steering, leather dashboard, lane departure warning..those are all rare options on the E70.

Note, it doesn't have the shift paddles because it has Lane Departure Warning, and therefore the paddles were N/A. Otherwise all 2013 Sport and M Sports will have the shift paddles, though they're not really that great IMO.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #34
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Great advice from jiggz! The pics actually show shift paddles - something likely changed, I suppose :shrug:. This one also has Nappa leather seats, not just the dashboard. I'd estimate the msrp to be around $84k.

Btw, if you end up buying it, I'd insist on having the driveshaft replaced under the new recall before taking possession. Other things to look for:
- do the smoke test to determine if the valve stem seals are leaking. For this, drive the car around for 20 mins or so to reach operating temp, and then park in idle. Have your wife give a nice stomp on the gas pedal and observe for any signs of puff of smoke out of the exhaust. If you see any smoke, then that's leaked oil out of the valve stem seals. It's a major job, requiring about a week of labor. I'd have it done while the car is still under warranty.

- turbo coolant lines leaking. This is a common problem with N63s and is almost a maintenance item not covered under CPO. You'd want to make sure that this is replaced under factory warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #35
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

After selling our 4.8, we ordered a 2013 AW/Blk X5 3.5 M-Sport with Adaptive Drive, Active Steering, and just about every other option (except no 3rd row, or blind spot). Both me and my wife LOVED it until our two boys got older and she wanted more room and usable 3rd row. Enter the new 2016 Honda Pilot (which corners like a canoe in normal driving, but plenty of room). About a month later she was definitely missing it and I'm still hearing about it. That X5 was perfect, no maintenance issues (like the oil leaks on the 4.8), cornered amazing, super comfortable on long trips, fuel efficient, plenty of power, etc. Fast forward to now, I was looking for a '15 F10M5, but compromised with my wife on a low mile 2013 X5M b/c she missed the 3.5 so much. I LOVE the X5M, but the wife thinks it's too stiff (it's stock) and less comfortable than the 3.5. My wife's next car will be that X5 3.5 if I can pry it out of the current owners hands...the F15/F85's look so much smaller.. $0.02

Last edited by argento; 04-09-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #36
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So no trip to Nashville. The 50i was still on a lift with a completion of middle of this week. I ended up heading to Minneapolis to look at a well equipped 35i and a 50i, both M Sport, M Performance package. 21k miles on the 35 and 28k on the 50 and both at the same dealer. I drove the 35 and it had two options the 50 didn't. Cold weather, a must have for the wife, and technology. I took the 35 based on options and color. This thing is mint. One owner, ordered new from BMW and shipped to North Carolina and has never seen a winter. I couldn't be more happy. This is pure joy to drive!! Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #37
socale39
Major
Rep

Congrats! Post some pics for us, would love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #38
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Congratulations! Pics would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #39
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
...Enter the new 2016 Honda Pilot (which corners like a canoe in normal driving...
Classic line!

Quote:
..I took the 35 based on options and color. This thing is mint. One owner, ordered new from BMW and shipped to North Carolina and has never seen a winter. I couldn't be more happy. This is pure joy to drive!! Thanks for all the input.
Nice choice! I basically noted in a previous post I'd take a 35i over a 50i if it was optioned/colors were considerably better, so good choice. Post up some pics!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #40
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's some pics we took before leaving St. Paul. This is in the parking lot of Flat earth brewery in East St. Paul. Check it out if you find yourself in the twin cities.
Here's the VIN if anyone wants to decode to see the build; 5UXZV4C53D0B12080. Another cool thing I found tucked into the owner's manual folder was the original build sheet from BMW showing build date, location and all the shipping info on the vehicle. I'll get a picture of it an post later today.
Attached Images

Last edited by JRide89; 04-10-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #41
JRide89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

tow hook license plate mount

I guess one more thing while I have some attention here. Does anyone recommend a tow hook license plate mount for the front? I see there are all kinds on both ebay and amazon ranging from $20-100. I don't want to buy a piece of crap that sticks out too far and twists off on a bumpy road.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #42
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess one more thing while I have some attention here. Does anyone recommend a tow hook license plate mount for the front? I see there are all kinds on both ebay and amazon ranging from $20-100. I don't want to buy a piece of crap that sticks out too far and twists off on a bumpy road.
I don't run front plates (even though they're required in my state) so no personal experience, but I know the US Mill Works mount is pretty popular -
http://www.usmillworks.com

Good looking X5. Nice build too, somebody clearly ordered that one vs. something you'd find on the dealership lot new.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #43
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Nice!! Congrats!

I also don't run front license plates (TX)...but if I get stopped they'll give me a ticket for it. Have rarely been stopped for that alone...actually only once by DPS (got a warning). Just keep it with you somewhere in the vehicle, b/c that's the first question.
      04-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #44
socale39
Major
Rep

Congrats. Looks like you got yourself a good one there.

Haven't run front plates on any of my BMWs and have only got a ticket once.
Appreciate 0