XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

10-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Arrow Dinan Needs 4 X6 50i for final testing

Saw Steve Dinan Saturday in Glendale, CA, and he said they still need some folks to participate in his X6 50i program for final testing and street worthiness. Please call because he received something like 1 call from X6 participants.

Quote:
From his website
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/whats-new

FREE Dinan Software for X6 xDrive50i

(4 cars needed for final testing - local customers only)

Dinan has completed our Software for the Twin-turbo V-8 and will provide FREE software ($2,500) value to four local customers in the Bay Area in exchange for final testing purposes. Dinan will flash the car while you wait. We would require that you drive the car for a month and bring it back to Dinan in Morgan Hill, CA for evaluation. We would need to keep your car for two days. If interested, please contact Ed at 408-779-8584 x126 for further details and scheduling of the cars.

50 Horsepower / 70 lb-ft Torque
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I would do it in a heart beat... But I am in NY.. Guess they can't work with the dealer here on LI, Ny
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
I would do it in a heart beat... But I am in NY.. Guess they can't work with the dealer here on LI, Ny
I don't know, as I'm not connected with Dinan in any way. While we were talking I asked how the X6 program was going and he said he's received very few responses from X6 owners. I just wanted to pass the word.

Give 'em a call.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
It's being done at the Dinan Development facility in Morgan Hill,Ca . I suspect it will get out to dealers later on.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Quote:
I would sign up in a heart beat as well... but I'm also in NY... hmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I don't know, as I'm not connected with Dinan in any way. While we were talking I asked how the X6 program was going and he said he's received very few responses from X6 owners. I just wanted to pass the word.

Give 'em a call.
He's getting no responses because he has no products to offer them. I am starting to think that he will never have any tuning products out for us. I have offered to be in the final tuning group and sent them an email but they only want local cars. That is part of their problem. They will probably have a hard time finding 4 local cars in Morgan Hill that have time to lend them their X6, especially when it took him over 6 months to tune their first one.

I am sure BMW will offer the 40HP increase before he gets anything for us. I sure hope this is not the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
He's getting no responses because he has no products to offer them. I am starting to think that he will never have any tuning products out for us. I have offered to be in the final tuning group and sent them an email but they only want local cars. That is part of their problem. They will probably have a hard time finding 4 local cars in Morgan Hill that have time to lend them their X6, especially when it took him over 6 months to tune their first one.

I am sure BMW will offer the 40HP increase before he gets anything for us. I sure hope this is not the case.
There aren't that many X6's out there to begin with, and then try to find at least 4 in Morgan Hill, than narrow that down even further for owners willing to give up their rigs for a week. I wonder if there are a total of four x6 owners in Morgan Hill.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

I got the BMW performance upgrade (the 40hp tune) but the Dinan one will for sure be much more aggressive. I would even consider getting Exhaust as well.. and then having a shop fab me some HFC Downpipes. I know I can make this engine produce as much HP/TQ as the X6m.

As much as I hate to consider it... Singh autosports is the only company that has a tune for the car and is willing to work with anyone in the country... He is just the shadiest dude around. I don't feel comfortable shipping my ECU out to Cali to have it bench flashed.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the BMW performance upgrade (the 40hp tune) but the Dinan one will for sure be much more aggressive. I would even consider getting Exhaust as well.. and then having a shop fab me some HFC Downpipes. I know I can make this engine produce as much HP/TQ as the X6m.

As much as I hate to consider it... Singh autosports is the only company that has a tune for the car and is willing to work with anyone in the country... He is just the shadiest dude around. I don't feel comfortable shipping my ECU out to Cali to have it bench flashed.
Funny - worried what he might send back?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

The good news is they have a new 750i with the same motor as the X6 they were doing testing on when I picked up my vehicle from them a month ago. Hopefully that will get them to stage 3 faster. DMLGC - why aren't you offering your car? They will give you the update while you wait; you won't have to endure 8 looong, excruciating months of anxiety and anticipation like I did, and you're 40 minutes away in Los Gatos, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Funny - worried what he might send back?
I dunno, if the car ever gets reflashed by the dealer i will have to send it back to get re-flashed.. they haven't bench flashed an X6 yet.. but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I have always been able to get work done on my cars locally. This is the first time I would have to send out something as important as an ECU. What if something happens to it in the mail.. Any number of things can happen to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dunno, if the car ever gets reflashed by the dealer i will have to send it back to get re-flashed.. they haven't bench flashed an X6 yet.. but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I have always been able to get work done on my cars locally. This is the first time I would have to send out something as important as an ECU. What if something happens to it in the mail.. Any number of things can happen to it.
Hadn't thought of possibly losing it or seeing your car's brain get damage in the mail. I'd send it FedEx and not USPS or UPS - it's a guarantee either one of those two would damage it or lose it. What's the insurance value of BMW ECU: replacement cost and installation, right, but how much would that be?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
The good news is they have a new 750i with the same motor as the X6 they were doing testing on when I picked up my vehicle from them a month ago. Hopefully that will get them to stage 3 faster. DMLGC - why aren't you offering your car? They will give you the update while you wait; you won't have to endure 8 looong, excruciating months of anxiety and anticipation like I did, and you're 40 minutes away in Los Gatos, right?
I was one of the first contacted by Dinan about 9 months ago. I talked with my SA and he said don't do it BMW is cracking down. I even received a call from Steve Dinan saying it would only take two weeks, I told him what my SA said. He stated he was going to go by the dealer ( it's not far from the Morgan Hill Development location) and talk with them because my SA was just one guy (my SA has been with BMW a long time) . I told my SA about this and he said he was looking forward to meeting Dinan, he didn't show up.

I then sent an email to BMW via the owners circle asking what the relationship was between BMW and Dinan. BMWNA responded by calling me and stating there was no relationship ( but they understood that people think there is because of Dinan being so integrated with the dealerships) and BMW was scrutinizing repairs to see if cars had been modified (they implied that on recent models they had a way of telling if the car had ever been modified).

I travel to Arizona and Nevada to the middle of nowhere, if I have a problem I need to push the button and have assist direct a tow truck to my location and have it taken to nearest dealer and repaired, I can't be worrying about having to find a Dinan dealership.

I don't want to write another check for $90k for at least a few years (actually wife wrote it , car was gift from her), so just not worth it to jeopardize the investment. I am sure there are those that have money to burn and would do it anyway.

It would appear that the relationship between BMW and Dinan has changed (yes I know there was no relationship), in the past dealers would just put in for warranty repairs and BMW would look the other way or dealers were able to get away with it more.

The information I see in the financial world doesn't give me confidence that Dinan is in the position to cover all of the repairs/replacements (the X6 is a new technology car) that could come about from BMW refusing warranty coverage . I could be wrong on this but that is the way it appears to me.

So this is why I am not taking my car down to Morgan Hill.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I was one of the first contacted by Dinan about 9 months ago. I talked with my SA and he said don't do it BMW is cracking down. I even received a call from Steve Dinan saying it would only take two weeks, I told him what my SA said. He stated he was going to go by the dealer ( it's not far from the Morgan Hill Development location) and talk with them because my SA was just one guy (my SA has been with BMW a long time) . I told my SA about this and he said he was looking forward to meeting Dinan, he didn't show up.

I then sent an email to BMW via the owners circle asking what the relationship was between BMW and Dinan. BMWNA responded by calling me and stating there was no relationship ( but they understood that people think there is because of Dinan being so integrated with the dealerships) and BMW was scrutinizing repairs to see if cars had been modified (they implied that on recent models they had a way of telling if the car had ever been modified).

I travel to Arizona and Nevada to the middle of nowhere, if I have a problem I need to push the button and have assist direct a tow truck to my location and have it taken to nearest dealer and repaired, I can't be worrying about having to find a Dinan dealership.

I don't want to write another check for $90k for at least a few years (actually wife wrote it , car was gift from her), so just not worth it to jeopardize the investment. I am sure there are those that have money to burn and would do it anyway.

It would appear that the relationship between BMW and Dinan has changed (yes I know there was no relationship), in the past dealers would just put in for warranty repairs and BMW would look the other way or dealers were able to get away with it more.

The information I see in the financial world doesn't give me confidence that Dinan is in the position to cover all of the repairs/replacements (the X6 is a new technology car) that could come about from BMW refusing warranty coverage . I could be wrong on this but that is the way it appears to me.

Steve did mention he immediately notifies BMW of any changes he makes when he flashes a bimmer so there's not a question, but you've got a very good point - who needs the hassle out in the middle of nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

How much to buy an ECU? I would do that and have it shipped to Singh to have it flashed and still have my original ECU... Is that doable?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post

I understand where you're coming from, to each his own. I don't see the risks you speak of, and I am curious if you are considering tuning from someone other than Dinan.
Anytime you have any after market work done to the performance of your car, there is always risks. Dinan is the only company out there offering a warranty for their work. I can only assume after touring the facility and shaking hands wih all the execs, they would stand behind what they say and have the capital to back it up. Additionaly, for those who volunteer their vehicles, it is even a greater sense of security since it affords the opportunity to develop relationships with engineers, sales people, and any other personell internally, so if there ever was an inssue, you have a direct line with someone who can provide the level of service you demand. BMW, being the super conservative and uber possesive (Almost OCD promoting only factory accessories and upgrades) manufacturer that they are, will never look favorably on anything you do to your car that they don't make money on, so contacting them about performance tuning from a third party seems pointless.
You have to consider the way you drive as well, if you are concerned about blowing your engine, you don't have to drive it as hard. Remeber, they are only making software changes, no parts replaced or modifications under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
I understand where you're coming from, to each his own. I don't see the risks you speak of, and I am curious if you are considering tuning from someone other than Dinan.
Anytime you have any after market work done to the performance of your car, there is always risks. Dinan is the only company out there offering a warranty for their work. I can only assume after touring the facility and shaking hands wih all the execs, they would stand behind what they say and have the capital to back it up. Additionaly, for those who volunteer their vehicles, it is even a greater sense of security since it affords the opportunity to develop relationships with engineers, sales people, and any other personell internally, so if there ever was an inssue, you have a direct line with someone who can provide the level of service you demand. BMW, being the super conservative and uber possesive (Almost OCD promoting only factory accessories and upgrades) manufacturer that they are, will never look favorably on anything you do to your car that they don't make money on, so contacting them about performance tuning from a third party seems pointless.
You have to consider the way you drive as well, if you are concerned about blowing your engine, you don't have to drive it as hard. Remeber, they are only making software changes, no parts replaced or modifications under the hood.
I am not tuning my car for the reasons stated especially considering the places I travel to.

If I was going to have my car tuned the ONLY PEOPLE I WOULD TRUST TO DO IT WOULD BE DINAN. Also since BMW says they are cracking down the DINAN warranty may turn out to be the only recourse for getting something repaired.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

All good points DMLGC, I understand that I have taken a risk relying on Dinan to follow through with what they have said and put in wrtiting. Just hope it doesn't come to it, I really do love driving that car
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My take on what DMLGC is saying is not so much a distrust of Dinan, because it sounds like he does trust Dinan. But he distrust how the various dealers may react to a car backed by a Dinan warranty, particularly if you break down in ten-buck-two.

The last thing you need is arguing with a straw chompin' hayseed telling you, "Yup, that there rig has been tuned up, and we here at BMUU don't stand fur tha sort'a thng. U betr jest get yu're arss don' the road city boy, and don luk back!"

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-12-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #20
acho71
Rep
Drives: Maser QPS

Why doesn't Dinan just buy a X6 and call it a day? They're big enough to afford one I would think.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My take on what DMLGC is saying is not so much a distrust of Dinan, because it sounds like he does trust Dinan. But he distrust how the various dealers may react to a car backed by a Dinan warranty, particularly if you break down in ten-buck-two.

The last thing you need is arguing with a straw chompin' hayseed telling you, "Yup, that there rig has been tuned up, and we here at BMUU don't stand fur tha sort'a thng. U betr jest get yu're arss don' the road city boy, and don luk back!"
You are 100% correct I have NO distrust of Dinan and as I have stated if I was doing it Dinan are the ONLY folks I would trust to do it. For my situation just not a fit, particularly when you travel to middle of nowhere as an example (115 48'45"W 37 14'3"N).

Last edited by dmlgc; 10-15-2009 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

did anyone find the outcome yet?
Appreciate 0