XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #67
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Slightly off topic but addressing the sub topic in this thread on Dolby Atmos. Those of you just throwing out movie titles to test a Dolby Atmos system need to read up on what Atmos is:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolb...can-you-get-it

You have to have source material encoded with Atmos. I have auditioned an Atmos system using some decent equipment. My experience was meh. Not sure if it was the source material or the room dynamics. Still prefer the experience I have in my lowly 5.2 system in my acoustically treated and calibrated room.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #68
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Slightly off topic but addressing the sub topic in this thread on Dolby Atmos. Those of you just throwing out movie titles to test a Dolby Atmos system need to read up on what Atmos is:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolb...can-you-get-it

You have to have source material encoded with Atmos. I have auditioned an Atmos system using some decent equipment. My experience was meh. Not sure if it was the source material or the room dynamics. Still prefer the experience I have in my lowly 5.2 system in my acoustically treated and calibrated room.
I somewhat agree with you about Atmos (and DTS X). It is overhyped and not the end all be all they describe it to be. That being said I have kind of a strange layout in a combined wide open living room, kitchen and dining room so it needs all the help it can get. I also can’t do the preffered in ceiling mount placement so I don’t get the full effect, but it does help fill in the gaps for lack of a better way of saying it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #69
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I somewhat agree with you about Atmos (and DTS X). It is overhyped and not the end all be all they describe it to be. That being said I have kind of a strange layout in a combined wide open living room, kitchen and dining room so it needs all the help it can get. I also can’t do the preffered in ceiling mount placement so I don’t get the full effect, but it does help fill in the gaps for lack of a better way of saying it.
Yes, everyone's situation is different. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to carve out a dedicated room in my house built from the ground up for sound. Granted I didn't go hog wild as some others have with floating the walls and doing double drywall. Or sealing all the pot lights with exterior enclosures.

I had to make some compromises too where there are way more doors going into the room than I would like. But it's because of the layout of the house/floor plan. But I did use heavy solid core doors where I could. And I used a double pocket door at one side of the room for functionality. But overall, the result is still very good as I have the speakers placed optimally with the proper acoustical treatments on the walls.

I haven't had the desire to upgrade my system in a very long time. It all just works beautifully after hours of time tweaking and dialing in the system. Unfortunately, I may have to start all over again because my surround processor is acting up and it's probably better to just replace it than repair it. But that means I have to start all over again with tweaking/dialing in the system.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      01-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #70
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

zx10guy I hear yah, this is the first time in well over a decade I’ve upgraded my setup. While it has been fun getting new equipment and technology it definitely has a pain in the ass element to it as well.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      01-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #71
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
I loved the wide angle shots..

The film was meant to be long and drawn out to slowly build the hopelessness the Brits felt on the beach that day.

Also did you guys realize they NEVER showed an enemy (their face etc) that was also an interesting film technique.

Finally someone gets it.
      01-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #72
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Just watched it tonight and one thing's for sure - the director shouldn't have taken so many theatrical liberties and just told the story.

Keep the timeline the same and for God's sake - DO NOT keep changing from widescreen to letterbox (ie., "super" widescreen).

Wife and I spent 1/4 trying to figure out what the hell was happening when and the remaining part of the movie pointing it out (she was done at the halfway mark).

There was a really good story to be told but this director was not the one to tell that story.

And just how far does a Spitfire glide from 1,000 feet? - My guess, at best, 1:20. So in the final scene where the Spitfire was gliding - about 4 -5 miles from when the engine quit.

Great story - stoopid way of telling it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #73
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes, everyone's situation is different. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to carve out a dedicated room in my house built from the ground up for sound. Granted I didn't go hog wild as some others have with floating the walls and doing double drywall. Or sealing all the pot lights with exterior enclosures.

I had to make some compromises too where there are way more doors going into the room than I would like. But it's because of the layout of the house/floor plan. But I did use heavy solid core doors where I could. And I used a double pocket door at one side of the room for functionality. But overall, the result is still very good as I have the speakers placed optimally with the proper acoustical treatments on the walls.

I haven't had the desire to upgrade my system in a very long time. It all just works beautifully after hours of time tweaking and dialing in the system. Unfortunately, I may have to start all over again because my surround processor is acting up and it's probably better to just replace it than repair it. But that means I have to start all over again with tweaking/dialing in the system.
My Home Theater is currently underconstruction as i have a bonus room sitting above the garage 26x20x8.5 and i'm tearing all the walls down. i wasn't gonna go all out like some people but kinda seems like i am. Roxul SafenSound, hat channels, whisper clips, double drywall and Green glue and all for walls and ceiling. will use a solid door as well and make my own DIY room acoustics like panels and maybe some bass traps.

regarding Atmos i'll end up probably going either with RBH ceiling speakers or RSL 34e's. I'm sure listening to Dunkirk in a 7.4.4 will sound amazing. after reading what some people post i think the movie to me was good...not great but i enjoyed watching it and i think watching it or any other war type movie in a Home Theater setting with the right system and acoustics will be that much more enjoyable
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 01-06-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #74
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Nominated for best picture BTW
Appreciate 1
eluded2960.50
      01-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #75
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

I bought it and then returned when I realized all of Nolan’s movies are only coded in 5.1 Dolby/DTS master audio. No Atmos or DTS X.

I’ll catch it on Netflix or Amazon Prime if it is available on one of those.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #76
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Nominated for best picture BTW
Definitely not the first nominee I didn't like and pretty certain it won't be the last.

I don't even recognize most of this year's nominees.
      01-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #77
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I thought the movie wasn't that good. All hyped up by the critics.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #78
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

I just watched and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. I am glad I was warned about the timeline thing though as that did help a bit. I will admit I am big C. Nolan fan though as well.

I don’t know if it is best picture material, but I never really cared about that stuff anyway. Especially after “Saving Private Ryan” lost to the Shakespeare movie.
Appreciate 0