XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Defib
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

KW V3 for a daily driven X5M

Guys,
I am seriously considering installing KW V3 coilovers on my X5M. Im currently running a Dinan setup but it just isn't low enough. I just put on a set of 22" HRE's and it needs to be an inch lower to complete the look.

I live in NYC so I'm worried about totally ruining the ride. The roads here are horrible. Also, if I'm going to delete my EDC, it has to be for a significant upgrade to the current handling.

Can anyone comment on their experience with these KW's. I know they're very popular on these forums mainly for the looks but to me, form follows function. I don't mind a slightly firmer ride but I don't want to be bottoming out on every pothole. How are they to live with on a daily basis??

Thanks for your help...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

KW has a supported/approved ride height, meant for performance and not aesthetics. Keep that in mind as you do your research. It may not hit the mark you want.
      06-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Defib
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Thanks,
I'm really not looking to slam it. I just want it a little lower than Dinan with a decent ride and suspension travel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Rez90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

don't take this the wrong way but what you're doing is literally asking for issue's.

You put 22's on the car....lowering the profile of the tire.
Your truck is lowered....but you want it lower.

this all sounds good and everything....

except you're going to be driving it on LITERALLY the worst roads in the country.

If i were you i'd lift it and run snow tires all year....lol
2015 S4....EPL Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
As a KW owner, I'd say go for it if you're on the fence. The look will be what you want and honestly the ride is almost the same as stock (feels like EDC turned on always IMO), as long as you stay at or above the lower KW spec of 16.3" from fender to hub center. I'd be willing to bet it rides smoother than the dinan springs on the stock dampers since they were designed to match each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

NYC is really bad for Lowered Car, I cracked my CF front Lip during the damn winter in Queens A lot of stupid potholes on belt parkway and BQE 278. If you hit one of that the KW will be

The KW V3 worths every penny, but only if you live in Long Island,taking 495 to mid town, you will be enjoy the smooth handling with KW.

The worst road in the damn city(downtown area) and Brooklyn BQE you have to slow down and idiots behind you will like wtf was that truck slowing down for?

If you are not from the 5 Boro, then you should go with the KW V3. Because Driving in the city you have know which road you can actually go in and taking different routines avoid the potential damage.
      06-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

i may end up selling my KW for my X6M without EDC i'll keep you updated.
Mods: H&R Springs | ETG TUNE | Miestershaft exhaust GTC| SKF Carbon Fiber Wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
italspeed
Rep
Drives: X5

I was looking for a 1-2 inch drop. Dinan guys said it says 3/4 but eventually will be an inch after it settles, but I'm not even sure if it will do that or if 1 inch is enough. It especially won't enough if I put 21's or 22's on it.

Did you by chance happen to measure the difference? My problem is the height is a about 2 inches to high even with stock 20's. I would like to be able to just slide or out a little easier. I think if it was lowered 2 inches or more it would make a difference. I don't want to hurt the ride quality. I'm willing to give a little, the Dinan guys said their setup wouldn't change a thing, but don't think their setup will be low enough as you are experiencing.

Let me know if you have some pictures and height measurements so I can compare.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defib View Post
Guys,
I am seriously considering installing KW V3 coilovers on my X5M. Im currently running a Dinan setup but it just isn't low enough. I just put on a set of 22" HRE's and it needs to be an inch lower to complete the look.

I live in NYC so I'm worried about totally ruining the ride. The roads here are horrible. Also, if I'm going to delete my EDC, it has to be for a significant upgrade to the current handling.

Can anyone comment on their experience with these KW's. I know they're very popular on these forums mainly for the looks but to me, form follows function. I don't mind a slightly firmer ride but I don't want to be bottoming out on every pothole. How are they to live with on a daily basis??

Thanks for your help...
Appreciate 0