XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Space for an amp with 3rd row seats?

Hi, i have heard that the third row collapses into the space where the space saver would otherwise go, or where an aftermarket amp, subwoofer or dsp would usually get housed.. curious if any owners with third row seating can give advice as to whether there is any suitable spot for a small amp in their cars?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.Devol View Post
Hi, i have heard that the third row collapses into the space where the space saver would otherwise go, or where an aftermarket amp, subwoofer or dsp would usually get housed.. curious if any owners with third row seating can give advice as to whether there is any suitable spot for a small amp in their cars?
Thanks
I got 3rd row. There's quite a bit of useful space behind a panel on the left side. There I keep: tow rope, duct tape, the manual (book), pliers, batteries, Mag-lite flashlight.
I can see how an amplifier would easily fit there.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that, that's what I needed to hear. Seems a surprisingly large % of pre owned x5s have the third row spec, I don't need it but I quite like the idea of movable 2nd row and didnt want it to be a reason not to buy. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
brian5
Shoot for the moon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Alex,

I have 3rd row but in 2008. There is panel on left with a little space that would probably work as Serge says.

I haven't used the 3rd row for about 2 years now BUT it is a really nice to be able to move the 2nd row. Typically, it's pushed all the way back but, if I need the space for a "road trip", I move it forward. The funny thing is that my two teenagers don't even seem to notice that it has been moved forward (and my son is close to 6' now...).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5
Alex,

I have 3rd row but in 2008. There is panel on left with a little space that would probably work as Serge says.

I haven't used the 3rd row for about 2 years now BUT it is a really nice to be able to move the 2nd row. Typically, it's pushed all the way back but, if I need the space for a "road trip", I move it forward. The funny thing is that my two teenagers don't even seem to notice that it has been moved forward (and my son is close to 6' now...).
Thanks Brian. Yeah I'd have liked out of the way space for a spare wheel or mobility kit but the movable 2nd row would definitely come in handy so its a good trade off. If both fit an amp I don't mind which spec I end up buying, just glad I'm not limited to only models without the 3rd row.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
LorenzoPratt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda SX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
I got 3rd row. There's quite a bit of useful space behind a panel on the left side. There I keep: tow rope, duct tape, the manual (book), pliers, batteries, Mag-lite flashlights.
I can see how an amplifier would easily fit there.
very useful information.. I am planning to get 3rd row but bit worried about space and now I think I will get the row very soon

Last edited by LorenzoPratt; 06-17-2013 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0