XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

06-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
pufahl
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 50i

STAGE II

This week I had the Stage II installed by Nashville BMW and was a little disappointed. I notice an increase in performance but its not as noticeable as most have said it was. It is more noticeable at speeds of 50 MPH or greater and only if I used half or 3/4 throttle. If I jam the gas peddle I really don't notice it. I have notice a drop in gas mileage from 16.1 mpg to 15.3 mpg even when I'm driving normally. I plan to get the exhaust upgrade but and possibly the brakes. Will let you know when I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

I have the Dinan tune on my X6 and really notice it. Here is some insight on my experience, though. Although the transmission in our cars is great, I think it up shifts too quickly and is rarely in the optimal gear for acceleration. I use the flip pedals on the column a lot. The trannny seems to seek the most efficient gear for gas mileage vs performance unless I'm in sport mode. Just stepping on the gas in a high gear on my car does not convey the urgency I'm looking for from it unless I drop a gear. I've gotten so used to SMGs and regular manuals that I've turned into a real control freak with the automatic. My point is that I know the HP and engine performance are there, but the auto transmission tends to undermine the experience unless I interact with it a little more directly. I think my car has 6 gears and yours has 7. If your car has already jumped to 6th or 7th gear by 50mph in normal driving, then I think the extra ponies won't be as noticeable as the gears are too high for the performance feel we all like. Hope I make sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
pufahl
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 50i

I will try what you suggest. I think the sweet spot for max engine performance is not at high rpm but somewhere in the mid range about 3500 rpm. I enjoy the car and will probably buy another X6 M in the future. The only thing on this car i would like to improve is the navigation system, its not user friendly so I use my portable Garmin when on road trips. Thanks for your feedback Jess.

Last edited by pufahl; 06-23-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0