XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

X6 M - Mirror mounted - curbside camera?!!

In all those awesome pictures of the new X5 / X6 M cars, did you notice the specific picture of the underside of the mirror:

Name:  2010_bmw_x6_m_39_gallery_image_large.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  127.9 KB

That looks like a camera to me – what do you think?

The new 7-series has a side view camera system, but it is in front of the front wheel, and is intended to let you have a better view of cars coming down the street as you poke you nose out onto the road.

I looked at the new Infiniti FX50 when it came out – and of all the gizmos they put on that car – the only thing I really liked was the surround view camera system. You can see not only behind you, but down onto the curb beside the car as you park.

For me, that would be a lovely feature. The X6 has a wide rear-end, and even with those large mirrors, it is hard to see how close the wheels are to the curb as you back into a spot. And as WIDE as the car is, I always try to find an end spot and snuggle up as close to the curb as possible – but watch out for curbing those precious 20” rims..!

Has anyone heard anything about this new mirror? Is it really a camera??
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The list of optional features includes a Driver Assistance Package which includes High-Beam Assistant, Head-Up Display, and Rear View Camera with the spectacular new Top View feature. Top View provides the driver with an “birds-eye view” of the vehicle on the iDrive control screen, using input from a camera on each side of the vehicle and the traditional rear-view camera. Top View provides the driver with additional confidence for tight parking scenarios.

Translaton=BMW will add everything possible to the X6M to get the price point over $100k to increase margins.

This truck will be limited and very expensive.
      04-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The list of optional features includes a Driver Assistance Package which includes High-Beam Assistant, Head-Up Display, and Rear View Camera with the spectacular new Top View feature. Top View provides the driver with an “birds-eye view” of the vehicle on the iDrive control screen, using input from a camera on each side of the vehicle and the traditional rear-view camera. Top View provides the driver with additional confidence for tight parking scenarios.

Translaton=BMW will add everything possible to the X6M to get the price point over $100k to increase margins.

This truck will be limited and very expensive.
it will need a lot to justify the $100k+ price tag. I think Dinan may start doing a lot of business with current x50i owners, better deal. I am disappointed in the M version not much there to justify premium price.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
it will need a lot to justify the $100k+ price tag. I think Dinan may start doing a lot of business with current x50i owners, better deal. I am disappointed in the M version not much there to justify premium price.
It is no different than the M5/6. $20k-$30k premium for the V10.

The X6 is a niche vehicle. The X6 M is a marketing step pure and simple. Few will be sold. If you want one, pay a rediculous price.
      04-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
In all those awesome pictures of the new X5 / X6 M cars, did you notice the specific picture of the underside of the mirror:

Attachment 255910

That looks like a camera to me – what do you think?

The new 7-series has a side view camera system, but it is in front of the front wheel, and is intended to let you have a better view of cars coming down the street as you poke you nose out onto the road.

I looked at the new Infiniti FX50 when it came out – and of all the gizmos they put on that car – the only thing I really liked was the surround view camera system. You can see not only behind you, but down onto the curb beside the car as you park.

For me, that would be a lovely feature. The X6 has a wide rear-end, and even with those large mirrors, it is hard to see how close the wheels are to the curb as you back into a spot. And as WIDE as the car is, I always try to find an end spot and snuggle up as close to the curb as possible – but watch out for curbing those precious 20” rims..!

Has anyone heard anything about this new mirror? Is it really a camera??
Haha, I had posted about the exact same finding yesterday:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248413

Post #4...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
It is no different than the M5/6. $20k-$30k premium for the V10.

The X6 is a niche vehicle. The X6 M is a marketing step pure and simple. Few will be sold. If you want one, pay a rediculous price.
That's no different from a 550 vs. M5 or 650 vs. M6...

So now they continue the line... X5 > X5M... X6 > X6M

And yes, I'd pay a ridiculous price for it... just because it's faster and looks NICE
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that the same as say a 335i vs. a M3... there doesn't 'seem' to be such a huge difference between them, but ask M3 drivers and they will tell you otherwise. Same goes for the X6 vs. X6M. I think it's a matter of perspective and what you look for in a car.

Also, if you read the press release, they have done some EXTENSIVE changes to the X6 setup to make it an X6M. So overall, I think whatever premium they are going to ask for (and I am SURE they will be asking for quite a bit), it's deserved.

About Dinan, I'm sure there will be quite a few people that will look at that route too, especially those that already have an X6 or recently bought one and don't want to trade up to an X6M. But if you were to mod a standard X6 to bring it to the SAME level as an X6M, I highly doubt that you would come in way under the price tag that BMW is asking for the X6M. When I say the exact same setup, I do mean ALL of the changes down to the smallest detail that the M Division applied to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

I don't think the changes to the X6 are extensive at all. Lowering the suspension and reprogramming the Xdrive, bigger brakes and tuning the engine are the most basic changes they could make. In the press release they just hyped up the same features of the X6.
All that said I don't think it is bad at all because X6 already is damn good to start with. I love the handling and driving sensation of X6. They didn't need to do extesive changes at all. I even feel better that I am driving same piece of eng. at a lower price.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
bem_ua
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5(E70)

We have such cameras in both mirrors in our X5 and X6 - it was installed additionaly in Germany at the dealer - nice thing for parking!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bem_ua View Post
We have such cameras in both mirrors in our X5 and X6 - it was installed additionaly in Germany at the dealer - nice thing for parking!
Yep, I have posted this in another thread before.

This camera kit has been available for years from BMW but they never really advertised this feature. I think it's only been recently that more people asked about this feature due to Infinity having their birds eye view camera setup that if I am not mistaken was introduced with the EX?!?

This camera kit from BMW is actually available for most models!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

This camera kit from BMW is actually available for most models!
Now this is actually a gadget I would like to have , wasn't available as option when I ordered my X6. Just so folks don't go off the deep end (as most know I'm not gadget centric), I would not have waited for it to be available before getting my X6.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Now this is actually a gadget I would like to have , wasn't available as option when I ordered my X6. Just so folks don't go off the deep end (as most know I'm not gadget centric), I would not have waited for it to be available before getting my X6.
As I stated before, it's not being advertised by BMW. But it is available for most models including the X6 ... since day one of the X6 production!

And I wouldn't have waited for an option like this to drive an X6 either
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I can get the dealer to install this as aftermarket item ? I know most folks might think these aren't needed until you scrap the side of the 259 rims because they stick out beyond the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I can get the dealer to install this as aftermarket item ? I know most folks might think these aren't needed until you scrap the side of the 259 rims because they stick out beyond the tires.
I'm pretty sure I had posted this sometime last year.

You should be able to get this retrofitted into your car by your dealer. I'll look up the part numbers tomorrow and post them here if you are interested. I think you may also need an additional accessory kit to expand the video inputs for the iDrive controller to be able to hook up the exterior rear view mirror cameras. There is also a front view camera available that utilizes a prism to give you a look at the front of the car when you try to park in REALLY tight spaces.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bem_ua View Post
I am considering buying this accessory option. Would you kindly take some photos of how it looks installed and how you view it on your nav screen?

Also, do all cameras turn on automatically when you are in reverse, or do you have to use the iDrive menu every time to bring up the images?

I await your response and look forward to some photos!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

X6 Round Vision Door Mirror Camera

Ok, here are the infos on the Round Vision Door Mirror Camera:

Name:  X6 Round Vision Door Mirror Camera.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  163.2 KB

Didn't want to type all the part numbers and misc information in so I just made some screen captures. Since the list was longer than what fits on the screen, I had to split this off into two sections. See below:

Name:  X6 Round Vision Door Mirror Camera Part Numbers 1.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  209.6 KB

Name:  X6 Round Vision Door Mirror Camera Part Numbers 2.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  209.5 KB

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, my desktop is 1920 x 1200 but the server always reduces that size down to 1681 x 1024

Hope it's still legible.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks XD. I will query my dealer on what installing the front would cost, that camera looks a little odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks XD. I will query my dealer on what installing the front would cost, that camera looks a little odd.
You are most welcome!

The picture does not always represent what the actual item looks like. Sometimes they either reuse images or make improvements that don't transfer into an updated image (although they try to keep it as up to date as possible!).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Keep us posted on what they say. I was going to look into this on Saturday
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

As far as I know, you will need the door mirror camera retrofit kit and the accessory control menu retrofit kit to make this work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Camera questions

Questions:

1) What is the resolution of the camera image?
2) Are they all as pathetic as the standard reversing camera many of us are complaining about?
3) Is the poor resolution viewed in the nav screen a function of the camera, the display, or the software?
4) Are the cameras identical to those in the 7 series?
5) Would looking at the images in the 7 series give us an idea of what to expect, or do factors such as the newer iDrive an different screen affect this?
6) Any way of finding out who actually makes these little cameras?
7) What's required to use the cameras? With the reversing camera--horrible as it is--all you do it put the car in reverse and presto! Anything that requires too much fussing around with iDrive menu selections will discourage use.

Any insights are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Questions:

1) What is the resolution of the camera image?
2) Are they all as pathetic as the standard reversing camera many of us are complaining about?
3) Is the poor resolution viewed in the nav screen a function of the camera, the display, or the software?
4) Are the cameras identical to those in the 7 series?
5) Would looking at the images in the 7 series give us an idea of what to expect, or do factors such as the newer iDrive an different screen affect this?
6) Any way of finding out who actually makes these little cameras?
7) What's required to use the cameras? With the reversing camera--horrible as it is--all you do it put the car in reverse and presto! Anything that requires too much fussing around with iDrive menu selections will discourage use.

Any insights are welcome!
I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

1) I have no idea. I would assume that these are just standard video type cameras and as such would not give you a 'high resolution image'. You also have to consider that you will be watching multiple images on the same size screen and hence the image will appear 'sharper' since the individual image size is smaller.

2) They are not the same camera as the reversing camera on the X6. So the image quality may or may not be the same.

3) I believe that is due to the camera image sensor used in the camera module. If you can play back a DVD on your screen and the resolution is 'better', than your screen video input/output is fine. As far as I know, the camera outputs a standard video signal (e.g. composite video) that the iDrive electronics has to digitize to be able to display it on the screen.

4) Part numbers are different. However that may be related to the mounting bracket or the entire kit. No way to tell if the actual camera modules are identical unless you have a spare module from a 7 series and the one from the door mirror camera retrofit kit in your hand to compare the actual manufacturers part numbers. However I doubt that they are the same.

5) I think the image on the 7 series navigation/iDrive screen would be completely different for a couple of reasons:
- The 7 series screen is quite a bit larger (10.25" in the 7 series vs. 8.8" in the X6)
- The resolution has been significantly increased on the new iDrive system
- The 7 series sideview camera images are actually being skewed a bit by the iDrive processor to simulate a left and right view and the processor superimposes a yellow line to indicate where the front of the car is in relation to the image you see on the screen.
You would really have to take a look at another car with the door mirror camera option and with the same iDrive system you have in your car to see what that image would actually look like. Maybe bem_ua could be so kind and post some images for all of us to see what that system looks like when it's in use. I can tell you that the reversing camera and side view camera images on the 7 series are sharp and very clear (especially considering the larger display image size of the 7 series iDrive monitor).

6) As per #4 above, unless you look at the actual module, the parts database unfortunately does not show the manufacturer or the manufacturers model number.

7) That would be something that a user (like bem_ua) that has this system installed would be able to answer.

Hope this helps a bit.
Appreciate 0