Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rubbing on plastic inner well

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3

Garage List
Rubbing on plastic inner well

My setup is pretty standard:

Car: 2010 E90 335i LCI MSport N54 engine RHD
Wheels: Rays 19/8.5/+36 in front and 19/9.5/+36 in the rear.
Tires: Hankook Ventus V12 K110 with 235/19/R35 in front and 265/19/R30 in the back
Suspension: MSport shocks, H&R Sport springs (part number: 29187-1)

What's going in:
The car dropped more than I expected, which looks pretty awesome, but tires do tend to rub on the plastic inner wells when going over bumps at speed (like freeway), especially when there is more than 1 occupant. The rubbing occurs only for split second when damper is compressed and goes away as soon as it starts extending back. Noise is typical when tire rubs over plastic, it's coming from the left (passenger side as my car is RHD). I can confirm 100% it's coming from front, but I am suspecting that back rubbed a few times today as I was driving from Costco with tons of shit in the back and full tank of gas.

Visually it's very hard to confirm where it rubs, but I am suspecting that this black spot is it.

Since this is also a family car and I am hauling my newborn in it, I need to minimize risks of tire damage.

So 2 questions:
1. what is the risk factor?
2. how do I fix it?
3. I don't know what is the caster angle of our MSport suspension, so if anyone could identify where would be the closest point between wheel and well at damper compression, this would also help me identify the culprit.

I know the questions are pretty basic, but I will get out something more details once I see some opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

PS, i did search and found similar threads from a while ago, but no 2 setups are same, so I decided to give it a fresh start.
Attached Images