XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
pito2121
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmers!!

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
2012 X5M inserts for interior trim

I'm wondering if anyone know's how to separate the colored portion of the trim from the aluminum part that snaps or screws into the dash and doors. What i'm trying to do is separate the carbon weaving portion of the trim from the aluminum portion of the trim. I have a beautiful black inserts for the trim of my dash but its only the top part of the entire trim assembly. Trying to replace just that portion. I was told it can be removed and then the new piano black trim burn mounted to the aluminum. Any help would be great. Thanks!

-Earl
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

If I understand correctly...I suppose you could do that, but as you can tell by the pic, you need to shear off those melted plastic rivets and then figure out a way to re-install with adhesive(?). If you've acquired some OEM piano black trim, it should already come with the aluminum pieces riveted to it, so it's just a simple swap of trim parts once you remove the door panels. The trim pieces are bolted to the door panel via hex nuts.

Name:  IMG_0471_resized.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  311.5 KB

I took this pic just before wrapping the aluminum part of my trim in gloss black.
      07-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
pito2121
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmers!!

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
If I understand correctly...I suppose you could do that, but as you can tell by the pic, you need to shear off those melted plastic rivets and then figure out a way to re-install with adhesive(?). If you've acquired some OEM piano black trim, it should already come with the aluminum pieces riveted to it, so it's just a simple swap of trim parts once you remove the door panels. The trim pieces are bolted to the door panel via hex nuts.

Attachment 2362728

I took this pic just before wrapping the aluminum part of my trim in gloss black.
I guess my issue is I've never really re-done a plastic rivet job. I was told they can be done with sealant and be burned back into place but i'm a bit confused.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pito2121 View Post
I guess my issue is I've never really re-done a plastic rivet job. I was told they can be done with sealant and be burned back into place but i'm a bit confused.
My guess is that those plastic studs are molded to the back of the trim (piano, carbon leather, etc.) and then heated and pressed to lock the aluminum pieces in place. Once you shear those off, there is no more plastic stud to melt on the back of the trim...all that is left is to use adhesive or double sided tape...or something that doesn't ruin the oem trim but is strong enough not to become loose. $0.02.

Do I understand correctly that you have OEM Piano trim w/o the aluminum pieces? If so, what do the plastic studs look like on the back?