XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
d3Code
Rep
Drives: F15 x5

H&R lowering and wheel alignment

So I got my car dropped using the H&R front springs and shorter links for the rear and it looks awesome.
Took it to the dealer to have a general service done and told them that I needed a wheel alignment since the camber will be off.

Based on the machine the front wheels are off by 1 degree which I have no idea if this is a lot or a little.
BMW is telling me that they cannot bring the wheels back to spec without installing longer control arms for $1200.

Is this true or can I live with the 1 degree variance? Anyone having this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Ggluck3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5 M sport

Hr springs

I
Am having the hr springs installed today too and aligned, I will ask about this. The stealer did mention this, but my BMW independent shop didn't mention anything. Hmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
STIto335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3Code View Post
So I got my car dropped using the H&R front springs and shorter links for the rear and it looks awesome.
Took it to the dealer to have a general service done and told them that I needed a wheel alignment since the camber will be off.

Based on the machine the front wheels are off by 1 degree which I have no idea if this is a lot or a little.
BMW is telling me that they cannot bring the wheels back to spec without installing longer control arms for $1200.

Is this true or can I live with the 1 degree variance? Anyone having this issue?

Thanks in advance.
What degree is the camber at?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
d3Code
Rep

Not sure what the camber is set at. The print out only shows the camber in the red or in the green. Green meaning it is to BMW spec. They are both in the red and 1 side is +1 degree and the other side is almost -1.

After lowering the car the springs need to settle for a few hundred miles before you do an alignment or else you'll just be getting another one later.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

your camber has to be at negative number, I call this bullshit and I never trust the dealer, there is no way that they need longer control arm in order to properly adjust the camber unless you have bent your original control arm. Bring it to some Indy shop instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
d3Code
Rep

Thanks everyone for your comments. Off to an indie shop.
Appreciate 0