XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #23
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Well, a kid died last night in Cincinnati because 911/GPS thought the victims car was across the street in a commercial parking lot instead of the school parking lot.

But you don’t think GPS accuracy to within 1.5M is needed.

Wonder what you would think if it was your child?
First of all, the case was more complicated than that, yes, I've read about it, and it looks like more of a failure on the 911 call workers than on anything GPS related, as the kid gave explicit instructions as to where he was.

Second, did you really just imply 'do it for the children'? That's just pitiful.
      04-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Most of my maps like Apple, Google and Waze already know which lane I’m in and give me lane guidance. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Oh ffs. It's not GPS that led to that. The fundamental issue was a recall on a sixteen year old car that had been available for a decade. So who's more to blame, satellites and decoding or a car owner who didn't take a safety recall seriously? I mean, if his parents had just been whalers, he'd have had a flare gun in the car, but no, we banned whaling. So it's on all of us for not letting people shoot large mammals with harpoons.
Regardless of parents not doing safety recall, the fact remains the kid would be alive today if GPS did not make police think the car was across the street in a commercial parking lot.

Funny how you are celebrating iOS 11.3 which gives more detail on your iPhone but dissing tech advances in other areas - which cost a kid their life last night.
Yeah, but I drive a manual and wear a mechanical watch. I've also never used cruise control and while I use GPS for guidance, I primarily use my eyes to verify what's coming up. And in cases like your pic above in multi lane traffic, I know that if my nav is telling me to do something in half a mile, I should probably be towards the right, not goofing off in the HOV lanes.

The funny thing about this whole thread is that no one has said GPS accuracy shouldn't be tighter, some of us have just said it's no big deal. We're not anti diluvian retro grouches, we're just capable of getting places without having our hand held.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #26
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Yeah, but I drive a manual and wear a mechanical watch. I've also never used cruise control and while I use GPS for guidance, I primarily use my eyes to verify what's coming up. And in cases like your pic above in multi lane traffic, I know that if my nav is telling me to do something in half a mile, I should probably be towards the right, not goofing off in the HOV lanes.

The funny thing about this whole thread is that no one has said GPS accuracy shouldn't be tighter, some of us have just said it's no big deal. We're not anti diluvian retro grouches, we're just capable of getting places without having our hand held.
Your iPhone worked with iOS 11.2.6 as well.

It works better with iOS 11.3 which you have heaped praise on.

And God forbid your tune didn’t have access to the most precise info for control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Most of my maps like Apple, Google and Waze already know which lane I’m in and give me lane guidance. Am I missing something here?
Actually, most situations they do not as posted by me and others in this thread.

Your GPS “assumes” to know where you are based on where the road is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
FFS, that wasn't the argument! Your argument was knowing what lane you're in as far as improvements to tell you where to go, which is useless.

But keep changing your argument. Thank fk you're not a lawyer.
There are many benefits to improved accuracy. Your view is just myopic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
First of all, the case was more complicated than that, yes, I've read about it, and it looks like more of a failure on the 911 call workers than on anything GPS related, as the kid gave explicit instructions as to where he was.

Second, did you really just imply 'do it for the children'? That's just pitiful.
The kid could not hear the 911 operator and listening to the audio one cannot make out a key word where kid says he was. Even though 911 operator ask him to repeat, he could not hear the 911 operators responses and repeat.

The school was closed and no one thought to look for vehicle on its grounds. Across the street, where there was commercial business parking lot (and GPS reported car was) there was no car.

So yes, more precise GPS would have saved life.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-13-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Dude, you're so far lost. I have a good friend who's a cop. If I told him that there was a kid trapped in a car and gave him a fifteen foot estimate of where it was, he'd be in exactly the same boat as if I told him where it was to the inch. Cops made assumptions and a kid died. It's not a satellite problem.

And I'm not hopping up and down about 11.3, it still has issues. My X has been more reliable than others, but in theory, they're all identical.

In the same light, for cycling, I use a Garmin that triangulates from GPS and GLONASS for more accuracy. No reason a car or phone can't use the same technology, it's only money.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you're so far lost. I have a good friend who's a cop. If I told him that there was a kid trapped in a car and gave him a fifteen foot estimate of where it was, he'd be in exactly the same boat as if I told him where it was to the inch. Cops made assumptions and a kid died. It's not a satellite problem.

And I'm not hopping up and down about 11.3, it still has issues. My X has been more reliable than others, but in theory, they're all identical.

In the same light, for cycling, I use a Garmin that triangulates from GPS and GLONASS for more accuracy. No reason a car or phone can't use the same technology, it's only money.
Cops thought the call was fake as they didn’t see a car in a School parking lot ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Then again, you want more accuracy on your bike, but dissed more accuracy early on in thread.

And some say I’m lost!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #29
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your iPhone worked with iOS 11.2.6 as well.

It works better with iOS 11.3 which you have heaped praise on.

And God forbid your tune didn’t have access to the most precise info for control.

Actually, most situations they do not as posted by me and others in this thread.

Your GPS “assumes” to know where you are based on where the road is.

There are many benefits to improved accuracy. Your view is just myopic.

The kid could not hear the 911 operator and listening to the audio one cannot make out a key word where kid says he was. Even though 911 operator ask him to repeat, he could not hear the 911 operators responses and repeat.

The school was closed and no one thought to look for vehicle on its grounds. Across the street, where there was commercial business parking lot (and GPS reported car was) there was no car.

So yes, more precise GPS would have saved life.
Holy fuck, you are completely out of touch with reality. Or, you're the troll that you accused everyone else of being.

Either way, further discussion with you is a complete waste of time.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cops thought the call was fake as they didn't see a car in a School parking lot ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Then again, you want more accuracy on your bike, but dissed more accuracy early on in thread.

And some say I'm lost!
GPS, even occluded wouldn't have put him on the other side of the road. Human error was involved here. Not everything can be pegged on technology.

And yes, I gladly accept more accuracy when it's warranted. People driving cars at 70+ mph don't need as much as some one plotting power consumption and distance travelled off road, under tree cover in the literal mountains. But if someone wants to pay for it for car guidance or similar, I don't object to it.

Why is that hard to grasp? Some of us don't think it's a big deal but no one has said it shouldn't be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

A computer-aided dispatch report contained latitude-longitude coordinates on that call. Notes in that report indicated the call may have come from the "thrift store parking lot across the street." Seven Hills has a resale store across Red Bank Road from the school's Hillsdale campus.

With GPS data, why wasn't teen found in van?

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...icers-find-him
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #32
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Ahh, and I remember in the early days of GPS the federal government would on purpose have the accuracy altered on all signals for security. Not sure what changed to allow them to be more accurate.
Accuracy down to knowing who is sitting in the drivers seat is what I am after so that it can disable that phone when moving. : - )

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #33
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Ahh, and I remember in the early days of GPS the federal government would on purpose have the accuracy altered on all signals for security. Not sure what changed to allow them to be more accurate.
Presidential Order (I think it was during W's tenure, circa 2004) to unfuze the civillian signal. It can still be fuzzed, by Presidential order, during a national emergency. Say, we go to war with Russia/China, and we would prefer that their precision guided munitions are...less precise.
      04-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Presidential Order (I think it was during W's tenure, circa 2004) to unfuze the civillian signal. It can still be fuzzed, by Presidential order, during a national emergency. Say, we go to war with Russia/China, and we would prefer that their precision guided munitions are...less precise.
Assuming GLONASS is similarly scrambled. I'd imagine most munitions can utilize both systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #35
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

While GLONASS currently has global coverage, it has had problems with this in the past, and to be honest, it is still problematic.