XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

JL Audio e70 upgrade kit?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the JL Audio E70 upgrade kit?

It includes an amp, an amp install kit, just tweeters, a CleenSweep unit to interface with the factory stereo, and some brackets to mount the amp and crossovers hidden and away like it's an OEM install.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthmod-bmw

Seems like a very solid setup, and I would agree that the tweeters suck in the E70 even with Premium sound, and that the midrange speakers are already pretty clear as-is.

So more power, better highs, and the option to add a real-subwoofer is a pretty well thought out system IMO.
      05-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

It seems like it might be a good upgrade but the pricing is crazy...I can have my local custom audio shop do a better upgrade using all Alpine equipment for that price...subwoofer and custom enclosure included.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
x5joe2013
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W84IT
It seems like it might be a good upgrade but the pricing is crazy...I can have my local custom audio shop do a better upgrade using all Alpine equipment for that price...subwoofer and custom enclosure included.
Yeah that cleansweep component it pricey.

I don't think it makes sense to just replace the tweeters and leave the mids.

I like the idea of changing the crossover freq and amping the under seat woofers, but likely it'd still distort.

While not perfect, I like the BAV Sound speaker replacement plus the JL stealthbox sub. Seems to be a solid setup.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Except the Bav sound package is over priced too, and doesn't do anything to improve fidelity in terms of loudness. An amp makes a huge difference imo, just as important as the drivers

I agree the JL system is over priced as well... I may piece together something on my own
      05-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

The problem is have with that system is that you're required to have at least hk already in the car. They dont have an upgrade for just the regular stereo, which is what I have. I'd love to find a place that would upgrade the stereo. I got a quote from musicanw for 2.2k though :O
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep

I'm in my head calculating what JL has done with their package, and building my own...

$1300 for an amp, tweeters, cleensweep should only be around 800 or so bucks based on MSRP. an amp install kit and brackets shouldn't cost $600 more.

I think when it comes to a BMW, you just have to go "custom." This whole BMW specific driver setup is stupidly expensive for basically unknown drivers and niche companies. JL Audio, Focal and a few others have BMW specific drivers that are 2x in cost of a similar model.

youtube has some car audio shops that have installed systems and they walk you around what they have done, and it isn't special in any way. Of course it's not "removeable," and requires some modification to install, but such is life.
      05-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
x5joe2013
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808
I'm in my head calculating what JL has done with their package, and building my own...

$1300 for an amp, tweeters, cleensweep should only be around 800 or so bucks based on MSRP. an amp install kit and brackets shouldn't cost $600 more.

I think when it comes to a BMW, you just have to go "custom." This whole BMW specific driver setup is stupidly expensive for basically unknown drivers and niche companies. JL Audio, Focal and a few others have BMW specific drivers that are 2x in cost of a similar model.

youtube has some car audio shops that have installed systems and they walk you around what they have done, and it isn't special in any way. Of course it's not "removeable," and requires some modification to install, but such is life.
Yeah I agree.

If you aren't worried about removal a good shop could probably put together a lot better setup for the same price.

I just didn't want to mess with it, but custom is probably a better way to go.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
XMMMMM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the JL Audio E70 upgrade kit?

It includes an amp, an amp install kit, just tweeters, a CleenSweep unit to interface with the factory stereo, and some brackets to mount the amp and crossovers hidden and away like it's an OEM install.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthmod-bmw

Seems like a very solid setup, and I would agree that the tweeters suck in the E70 even with Premium sound, and that the midrange speakers are already pretty clear as-is.

So more power, better highs, and the option to add a real-subwoofer is a pretty well thought out system IMO.

New here with a '12 X5M with ZPS/752 Enhanced Premium Sound Package and just ordered th stealthmod setup to further its performance. Should it fall short, custom all the way! Perhaps a happy medium will be improving the mids. I hope to have the JL upgrade installed in mid August and will share how my mind's ear reacts.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Let me know how it goes. I decided on a semi-custom setup.

BavSound front sound stage
Added the DiRac xovers from the M3 kit

A used Alpine 5 channel amp
the same JL LOC used in the StealthMod kit
My own cabling
My own brackets

Undecided on the sub, but will probably opt for the JL one, from a grey market reseller.

That should save me only about a hundred bucks, but provide hopefully some better midrange and gratification that I will be doing most of the install as I've done that for money in the past...

I've looked at some Focal BMW specific stuff, and it was just too expensive. There are even pre-made door kits to use standard sized woofers, but I just don't hear as good now as I did then, to necessitate that. ;-)

Please remember this thread to give us your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMMMMM View Post
New here with a '12 X5M with ZPS/752 Enhanced Premium Sound Package and just ordered th stealthmod setup to further its performance. Should it fall short, custom all the way! Perhaps a happy medium will be improving the mids. I hope to have the JL upgrade installed in mid August and will share how my mind's ear reacts.
Congrats on the order, very interested in how this turns out for you, keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
XMMMMM
Rep

Delivery of the Stealthmod came early in the week and i undertook installation Thursday night. I planned on installing the entire system but soon realized time would not allow at my skill level. I limited the install to the sub, amp and summing device leaving the front door tweeters and respective crossovers for another day. (Note: I urge those upgrading to purchase a harness adapter to save time and retain OEM wiring).

I am happy to report the additional 700 watts, cleansweep and sub by JL have already made a remarkable improvement! Superb tuning cababilities and clean power along with distributing same are key! The under-seat subs behave much better while the new single sub delivers where needed. (Note: One could easily build a nice custom cabinet if you do not have a spare tire with a larger sub). I feel the pre-configured JL is well balanced.

While very pleased as is, I cannot wait to see how the JL silk tweeters will play-out. I continue to contemplate improving front door mids and center in-dash since I will have the doors open anyway to accommodate the crossover install. On the other hand, JL must have confidence in their crossover combined with OEM enhanced premium mids to only offer tweeters.

The Stealthmod happens to nicely fit my particular circumstances. I recommend this to those wanting more from their OEM enhanced premium sound but I am also quite certain a custom system would do same, or even more, for less $. Will report back soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
XMMMMM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
Congrats on the order, very interested in how this turns out for you, keep us updated
In addition to the Stealthmod and rear sub, I elected to procure BSW mids for front, center, and rear pillars, leaving the rear doors and under seat subs alone. Dissapointed that BSW tweeters are back ordered for several weeks, I used a used polk audio tweeter to add to front center dash but left stock tweeters in rear pillars.

I couldn't be happier but...I just might upgrade the under seat subs in the future. Overall highly recommended for audio snobs like me!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #13
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMMMMM View Post
In addition to the Stealthmod and rear sub, I elected to procure BSW mids for front, center, and rear pillars, leaving the rear doors and under seat subs alone. Dissapointed that BSW tweeters are back ordered for several weeks, I used a used polk audio tweeter to add to front center dash but left stock tweeters in rear pillars.

I couldn't be happier but...I just might upgrade the under seat subs in the future. Overall highly recommended for audio snobs like me!
Awesome to hear, congrats on getting a awesome setup, altho I'm starting to think that I have the individual audio, so not sure if this whole thing would still work on my car. Still tho, sat in a friend's X6M with the stealthbox sub and it is so much punchier than mine stock audio, makes me really want to upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
Ruben305
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Rockford fosgate 360.3 is much better than the clean sweep I built a box with 2 13 jl shallows focal mids best system ive heard all in the wheel well so its stealth and kept the pocket in the back
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben305 View Post
Rockford fosgate 360.3 is much better than the clean sweep I built a box with 2 13 jl shallows focal mids best system ive heard all in the wheel well so its stealth and kept the pocket in the back
It's not an apples to apples comparison. At best you did an apples to kumquat comparison.

The JL "Cleansweep," which is just a trademark name, in this case, is not a true signal processor. It's simply a signal summing device. Taking a low signal and high signal, speaker level input, and summing the signal to make a new combined signal for an amp. This is a $100 unit, not to be confused with their other "cleansweep," products that can also alter the sound with a DSP, active EQ'ing, etc...

I'd argue they both RF and JL's is inferior to Audison or Mosconi. But it all comes down to budget and design goals. All car audio sucks once you start driving down a road....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Lately I have started to shy away from "creating" custom setups and going for more designed setups like what JL has here with their Stealth Mod and Stealth Box. Of course custom can sound better if done correctly but the ease of self installation with JL's setup vs the amount of trial and error with a custom setup (depending on the skill level) plus potentially much less down time, I'm going to pull the trigger on JL's setup plus the Stealth Box and with some tuning make the best of it. Clean, OE like, installs, have been scoring major points in my book lately!
Appreciate 0