XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
JDX5NY
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Got my car delivered Nov. 2011. Not a single dollar paid out of pocket for repairs over entire course of ownership. Mechanically nothing has gone wrong sans the vacuum line which is known to deteriorate ($30 dollar plastic hose covered under warranty). These trucks are fairly reliable. Highly recommend some type of warranty in case you want piece of mind (just be aware that tuning the car could jeopardize coverage unless you have a good relationship with your SA).
Was your car under the 4yr factory warranty or cpo warranty?

*Edit* Didn't see you had a 2012
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #24
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdileo View Post
Was your car under the 4yr factory warranty or cpo warranty?

*Edit* Didn't see you had a 2012
Yup, factory warranty which will expire once I hit 50k miles or Nov of this year. Plan to extend the warranty with the help of my SA

Might have to remove the downpipes for that but we'll see if he can hook it up

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #25
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

Finally, what is the fascination with owning a "M"? Especially one with miles? If it is speed and handling, you can accomplish nearly the same with a "tune" and finding a 50i with Adaptive Drive ... for a lot less money. Expect everything on the "M" to cost you double ...
The statement conclusively shows you have not driven the M. Much more of a complete, well thought out package compared to the 50i. Acceleration, braking and handling on a different level. The turbo lag and choppy ride of the 50i are gone in the M. Your statements sound like the same arguments for E39 540 vs. M5. But now, just like then, the M is on a higher level and better enthusiast choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #26
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

Finally, what is the fascination with owning a "M"? Especially one with miles? If it is speed and handling, you can accomplish nearly the same with a "tune" and finding a 50i with Adaptive Drive ... for a lot less money. Expect everything on the "M" to cost you double ...
Message to anyone reading this thread. You cannot accomplish this on a 50i "for a lot less money." The x5m can show up entry level sports cars like the rs4, top trim evos/sti's on a track. Very impressive for an SUV. A stage 4 50i isn't even as fast as a stock x5m. Show me a 50i that has 650 hp

The x5m is on another level in all regards, except the interior maybe. Thats not to say the 50i isn't a great motor, you're just spreading misinformation when you make a statement like that is all.

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2015, 01:01 AM   #27
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Message to anyone reading this thread. You cannot accomplish this on a 50i "for a lot less money." The x5m can show up entry level sports cars like the rs4, top trim evos/sti's on a track. Very impressive for an SUV. A stage 4 50i isn't even as fast as a stock x5m. Show me a 50i that has 650 hp

The x5m is on another level in all regards, except the interior maybe. Thats not to say the 50i isn't a great motor, you're just spreading misinformation when you make a statement like that is all.
Have to concur...day to day driving in sedate environments and traffic. X5M, X5 35, X5 5.0 or even X5d nobody will really notice around you and you won't even. But when you want the performance and the road beckons you or if you decide to take it to a track day (no reason for me to do that with mine honestly); then the others will show their true colors and faults. Just picked up my X5M from having an Eissenman exhaust installed and due to traffic ended up taking a 120 mile detour back home on a 2 lane of the interstate highway and let me say the X5M was awesome on that road! Most fun I've had in the car so far. I know I could have had fun in an X5M but dynamically I do not think the motor and chassis could have given the same inspiring driving experience gents. I've had quite a few tuned BMWs and M's too and while you can get close I've now come to the conclusion that unless you're an automotive engineer then you can't really fully get to where the X5M and M cars are from a performance standpoint unless you basically re-design the whole dayum car and for a lot MORE $$ than just buying the M car in the 1st place. Just IMHO gents.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
GGX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

i have almost 80k miles on my x5m....runs fine, still has its run of the mill x5m woes tho. nothing out of the oridnary.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #29
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

OP I'm in a similar situation looking for an X5M with low mileage but still affordable...here in NY just about every X5M on Auto trader, Cars.com etc. have over 60-80k miles and priced on the high side...I think we're both better off looking for 1 out of state especially with all the chemicals and salt that are on the roads destroying the under carriage of every X5M taken for test drives then parked for long periods of time without washing them...I've expanded my search to over 500 miles on Auto trader and other sites in hopes of finding a better quality car...happy hunting brother and good luck
Appreciate 0