XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
inspector gadget
United_States
Rep
Drives: chevy c6 corvette

what exactly is ADAPTIVE DRIVE?

Good day forum readers!

I am pricing out a new X6 50i and while reading through the forum I read that someone who once had adaptive drive bought a model without it and was disappointed. My dealer does not have any vehicles with adaptive drive for me to compare and contrast and said that most buyers in this area just don't want to shell out the additional money. I am trying to find out exactly what adaptive drive does/does not do and I am turning to you, the forum, to help me out once again. Here are my questions:

1. The roads here in the mid-west can be notoriously cratered with potholes. Will adaptive drive help smooth out potholes?

2. I currently drive the C6 model corvette and it has virtually no body roll. Adaptive drive allegedly eliminates/minimizes body roll. Does it detract from overall ride comfort? Does it make the ride too harsh? Bimmer suspensions are already tight, right?

3. Finally, for those of you who have adaptive drive was it worth it for your everyday drive or do you enjoy it only in the corners.

Thanks again and regards!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I found it really hard to find an X6 WITHOUT the Sport package (thus adaptive drive) in my area. I had to go 100 miles to find one. Most of the X6s at the dealers here are north of $75k (even the used ones). I think its odd that your CA thinks that someone wouldn't shell out the extra money to make an already expensive car drive better. $3k on a $25k car? I can see that there may be a problem. $3k on a $75k car? No.

I have adaptive drive on my '11 X5 35d. I drive it in sport mode all the time unless I'm going over speed bumps or extremely bumpy roads with adults in the back seat. I drove X6s both with and without adaptive drive. I could tell that I wasn't going to like the X6 without the adaptive drive before I drove no more than 1/4 mile. The CA let me behind the wheel on a semi-rough road; it felt very bouncy in comparison to the solidity (that some could rightly call quite jarring) and sure-footedness you get in sport mode with adaptive drive.

Here are some videos about adaptive drive that are educational. They talk about the X5, but the information still applies:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZlKEUSSDVfo

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BEegeeAKiPc

http://www.youtube.com/embed/NSkXL4ulByQ
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
inspector gadget
United_States
Rep

I'm in Chicago and I have the exact opposite experience. All of the X6's here have the sport ACTIVITY pkg...thus a sporty look but no adaptive drive. Our roads here aren't very forgiving and perhaps the thought of a stiffer overall ride (over potholes) isn't appealing. My search for a X6 was first aimed toward a used vehicle. I did notice that Texas and Florida have many of those available on cars.com. They all seem to have the Sport pkg as you stated. I can only surmise its because you have better roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
inspector gadget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Here are some videos about adaptive drive that are educational. They talk about the X5, but the information still applies:
Wow! These videos were so very, very informative. Thank you so much! Questions asked and answered! I will be ordering my new vehicle with adaptive drive.
Thanks Barbja.

Last edited by inspector gadget; 03-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Definately go for it. The adaptive drive is great and worth the price.

It's almost a false sense of security because there really isn't much body roll, especially being lowered.
Appreciate 0