XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Has anyone been able to install an aftermarket subwoofer and amp?

Since the battery is right there in the rear, and all the wiring and stock amplifier is in the cargo area, I was wonder if I can utilize my ported subwoofer and alpine amp that I removed from my previous vehicle.
      07-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW x5 3.0i

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
Yes you can, just cut and connect everything properly and you're good to go.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Jlam86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e70 4.8i

yes u can! you WILL need a hi/low converter between the amp and the factory speaker output.

there is a step by step DIY on xoutpost.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlam86 View Post
yes u can! you WILL need a hi/low converter between the amp and the factory speaker output.

there is a step by step DIY on xoutpost.
Thanks for answers both of you.
The amp can take in-line speaker input, so I won't need a filter/converter.
I think the DIY I saw (not sure if it was xoutpost) was for earlier year X5s, and I also have premium sound system, apparently it was more complicated. Let me see if I can search that site in case there is an update.
      07-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
finagle69
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 4.8i

I made a DIY on Xoutpost for my 08, which is still E70. It has Premium sound also.

I used a JL 500/1 and a 10W6v2.

Edit: Not sure if it's okay to post a link to another board, but here's my thread.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-diy-sort.html

Last edited by finagle69; 07-30-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, great writeup. You didn't really come back to the topic with more pictures or results, but I am guessing you are still jamming with it without problems. The only thing that is worrying me is the output. Since you are grabbing the signals after amp (no pre-amp as one would usually get behind the head unit) aren't you putting a lot stress on your amp. It looks like you got a nice amp, mine is only 150w with a 100w sub. I am beginning to wonder if it is even worth adding it (it did sound amazing with gut-hitting bass in my old Jeep, which I seem to miss in my X5)

I assume the risk of feeding high wattage to the amp is eliminated by using speaker level inputs, right?

As for the turn-on lead, I wonder if we can use auto sensing amp, I am not a fan of soldering stuff, unless there is somewhere else we can bolt or wrap the lead in the back to a switched power.

Looks like the most difficult part is identifying the wires (mine is tucked in and wrapped a lot more snuggly compared to your pictures) and finding a place to mount the amp (should not be so hard with no 3rd row or spare to worry about)
      07-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
finagle69
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Wow, great writeup. You didn't really come back to the topic with more pictures or results, but I am guessing you are still jamming with it without problems. The only thing that is worrying me is the output. Since you are grabbing the signals after amp (no pre-amp as one would usually get behind the head unit) aren't you putting a lot stress on your amp. It looks like you got a nice amp, mine is only 150w with a 100w sub. I am beginning to wonder if it is even worth adding it (it did sound amazing with gut-hitting bass in my old Jeep, which I seem to miss in my X5)

I assume the risk of feeding high wattage to the amp is eliminated by using speaker level inputs, right?

As for the turn-on lead, I wonder if we can use auto sensing amp, I am not a fan of soldering stuff, unless there is somewhere else we can bolt or wrap the lead in the back to a switched power.

Looks like the most difficult part is identifying the wires (mine is tucked in and wrapped a lot more snuggly compared to your pictures) and finding a place to mount the amp (should not be so hard with no 3rd row or spare to worry about)
Yeah, there's no problems with mine. And I haven't changed the box or anything, so what you see there is pretty much as it still is.

This sub and amp puts out way too much bass for the stock premium audio system. I have the gain turned down to minimum.

This amp is fine with the speaker level inputs. I didn't want to rip the center console apart. I figure I was already in the rear and didn't want to move from there.

But absolutely, your amp/sub will make a difference. I say go for it.

As for the remote turn on, I didn't have a lot of luck with the auto-sense stuff. But I'd say you could wrap the wire around the terminals of the power outlet back there if you didn't want to solder.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will inspect the speaker wires that we need to tap and report back if they made it any more difficult to locate in '12. Does it matter if we tap to left or right subwoofer? I assume they are just two mono subwoofers?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
finagle69
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I will inspect the speaker wires that we need to tap and report back if they made it any more difficult to locate in '12. Does it matter if we tap to left or right subwoofer? I assume they are just two mono subwoofers?
If you're only bringing one channel in, then it doesn't matter if it's left or right.

I've always been taught to bring both in, though. So that's what I did.
Appreciate 0