XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Smell from the AC

I've noticed a smell of mild gas or chemical that appears every 5-10 min while the AC is on. It happens even when the AC is set circulate the indoor air. Anyone experience something similar with a gas like smell from the AC? Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Haven't experienced anything like this but if it's making a gas/chemical smell have it checked, you don't want to take any chances with your health.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Have dealer check for refridgerant leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
rockmed
Private
Rep

Thanks guys. I took it to the dealer and he said that the AC system appears ok. He also said that this is supposedly a common issue on X5 and X6; basically when you rev the engine the exhaust somehow seeps back in through the trunk. Sounds like a bunch of boloney.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Boloney 4 sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmed View Post
Thanks guys. I took it to the dealer and he said that the AC system appears ok. He also said that this is supposedly a common issue on X5 and X6; basically when you rev the engine the exhaust somehow seeps back in through the trunk. Sounds like a bunch of boloney.
[B[B]][Xhaust entering the cabin? you could get carbon monoxide poisoning! /B] CO is odorless poison! Talk to the head mechanic?? or a mechanic that needs his head examined? just an apprentice? or the garage idiot?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I've noticed a smell of mild gas or chemical that appears every 5-10 min while the AC is on. It happens even when the AC is set circulate the indoor air. Anyone experience something similar with a gas like smell from the AC? Thx
I used to have a 645 coupe. When driven hard the brakes or tranny, or something else I never figured out what smelled to high heaven making me nausious. New brake pads made no difference. The smell in the cabin was unbearable. I have owned several BMWs but never one that smelled so bad.
      05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Could also be from condensation on the coils. When the AC cycles and cools the air, the humidity in the air will condensate on the cold coils and will normally be expelled to the outside of the car. However if the compressor turns off and the fan keeps circulating air over the these coils, whatever moisture is still left on the coil will be evaporated and carried back into the cabin. This 'moist air' can have a somewhat funny smell at times. This will only last for a few seconds to a few minutes after the compressor turned off and will go away once the compressor turns back on. This is a normal (but somewhat unpleasant) side effect of AC systems. So when you are driving and the AC cycles on and off every 5 to 10 minutes, that's when you will experiencing this funny smell. It should lessen the more you use it but it depends on a LOT of different factors.

Hope this helps you
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
I had two X5's and never had this issue, If I had a car that was making me sick I would expect the manufacturer to fix it or replace it. If that didn't happen then I would have the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (in USA government agency that regulates vehicle safety) explain it to them. No car that is unmodified should endanger your health, chemical fumes of any sort are hazardous.

rockmed, I would not accept that this is "normal" operation.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
rockmed
Private
Rep

Thanks again guys. I am aware of the condensation smell. This is different, it is more of a chemical smell. Will try to monitor it more closely and see if there is some obvious pattern when it occurs.
Appreciate 0