XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

Closed Thread

10-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M5

2011 RENNTECH BMW X5M sets record as World’s Fastest “TUNE ONLY” X5M

Those times are E60 M5 territory.

Quote:
2011 RENNTECH BMW X5M sets record as World’s Fastest “TUNE ONLY” X5M – ROAD TEST TV

November 10th, 2011 by Road Test TV

Last night at Palm Beach International Raceway, we caught up with the crew from RENNtech doing some more R&D on their BMW X5M project. RENNtech’s goal was to have the fastest “tune only” BMW X5M and to be the first “tune only” X5M to run in the 11s with stock exhaust, stock (heavy) run-flat tires and stock airboxes. Well, their efforts paid off.

Even though conditions were not optimum (90% humidity and a DA of 1000 feet), the RENNtech X5M ripped to 60 mph in 3.75 seconds; reached 100 mph in 9.2 seconds, and went through the traps at the end of the 1/4 mile in 11.995 seconds at 114.05 mph. Considering that an X5M weighs well in excess of 5000 lbs without a driver, it is clear that the RENNtech X5M is making some serious power.

We asked the guys from RENNtech what’s next for the X5M, and were told that they will be doing hardware changes in phases. The modifications will include downpipes, an Akrapovic exhaust, modified airboxes, and bigger turbos.

The quick Nissan GTR in the left lane has gone a best of 10.94 at 128 mph, and is running a Cobb tune modified by HPLogic. It also has a midpipe and Michelin PS2s tires.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
imahobo
Private
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 991TT

It is indeed a very strong 1/4 mile time, but the difference in the two r/t's (reaction times) implies that the Renntech gains aren't as significant as one would think.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

I would really love to see the difference with lighter non rft tires
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ View Post
I would really love to see the difference with lighter non rft tires
Throw in catless Dp's and an Akra exhaust, larger air box and check those numbers out!
      10-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Throw in catless Dp's and an Akra exhaust, larger air box and check those numbers out!
Haven't heard of the larger air box, any links to it??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahobo View Post
It is indeed a very strong 1/4 mile time, but the difference in the two r/t's (reaction times) implies that the Renntech gains aren't as significant as one would think.
While I would be the last one to support Renntech. I am not understanding what you are saying??
R/T has nothing to do with ET or MPH
Reation Time is based on the time it takes you to break the starting line beam once the tree goes green. You can sit there for 1 minutes and your ET/MPH will still be the same

The Renntech tuned X was almost 7 tenths faster and and 5.55 MPH faster
That is an alot. The comparision is flawed since there are some fast X5M and some not as fast X5M. The best test would be to to test a truck stock, load the tune and test it again. Not use two different trucks.
Personally the 113 MPH is kind of low. But considering it is humid Florida air, it may be ok. I have seen 119+ MPH in colder weather(in the 40s)
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
As DonHo mentioned, reaction time has nothing to do with the elapsed time or trap speed.

You can get a very good estimate of rear wheel horsepower by using:

horsepower=weight(velocity/234)^3

Using this equation, the Renntech X5M made 624 horsepower and the stock X5M made 535.

There are limitations to this. If either driver lifts just as the cross the line, they will keep their ET the same; but, their MPH will be slightly lower. (Most tracks have the speed trap after the finish line.) You need to know that both drivers stayed in it after the line to get a good calculation.

Either way, it appears that Renntech made nearly 90 more horsepower with only a tune. That is very respectable.

I used a weight of 5,500 lbs,5300 vehicle+200 lbs driver.

You can also calculate hoserpower as horsepower=weight/(ET/5.825)^3

Last edited by Brian425; 10-25-2011 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

I agree the reaction time has nothing to do with the trap speed and E/T. It pretty much just telling about the traction and amount of wheel spins. I would like to see the difference between the ESS tune and Renntech.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
While I would be the last one to support Renntech. I am not understanding what you are saying??
R/T has nothing to do with ET or MPH
Reation Time is based on the time it takes you to break the starting line beam once the tree goes green. You can sit there for 1 minutes and your ET/MPH will still be the same

The Renntech tuned X was almost 7 tenths faster and and 5.55 MPH faster
That is an alot. The comparision is flawed since there are some fast X5M and some not as fast X5M. The best test would be to to test a truck stock, load the tune and test it again. Not use two different trucks.
Personally the 113 MPH is kind of low. But considering it is humid Florida air, it may be ok. I have seen 119+ MPH in colder weather(in the 40s)

At what drag strip you have seen an X5M trap 119+ mph in cold weather and where is the time slip/video? I'd love to see it.

Also, what mods were on the X5M that allegedly trapped 119+ plus.

I hope this isn't another VBox nonsense fish tale.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

I don't think 119 is out of the question. A tune, down pipe, exhaust, intercooler, lighter rims and tires are all relatively easy mods. Gears would really wake up the big truck.

If some one did bigger turbos, injectors, ported heads, etc, etc... It could really put up some impressive numbers.

We all know, HP (to a large degree) is just about how much you have to spend.

Last edited by Brian425; 10-28-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
I don't think 119 is out of the question. A tune, down pipe, exhaust, intercooler, lighter rims and tires are all relatively easy mods. Gears would really wake up the big truck.

If some one did bigger turbos, injectors, ported heads, etc, etc... It could really put up some impressive numbers.

We all know, HP (to a large degree) is just about how much you have to spend.
Thanks Brian,

I don't disagree that 119 is possible.

However, I posted a video of a tune only X5M going a little over 113.3 mph against a stock X5M which went 107 mph on the same day at the same track next to each other. In fact, the white Renntech X5M just ran over 114 mph other night since the tune was modified. DonHo believes that 113.3 is a little low since he has heard of X5Ms trapping over 119. I call bullshit for a tune only truck. Moreover, I have yet to see an X5M trap 119 and I've been looking.

There is a heavily modified PPP X6M with no cats only running 116 mph.

In short, I was just wondering were he got his 119 from. In no way was it a tune only X5M (unless it had a 200 shot) and I haven"t seen a modified one go that fast. Just looking for the tune only unicorn he is talking about since he said 113.3 is low.

The white truck in the video will be getting more mods, and we hope to get it to trap 119+. But its going to need more than a tune.

Last edited by BMWSR; 10-29-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, I missed the tune only. You are 100% correct.

I am very new to BMW's (the X5 50i is my first); but, I've been around drag racing and cars for 20 years. I am impressed with such large gains with only a tune.

What are the plans for the next mods? How fast do you hope to see the X5M go?

I am curious how fast it can go and still remain comfortably streetable. Obviously 11's at 115 is very realistic goal.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Rmitchell248
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
This is funny.. You may want to see how times are calculated at the drag strip. rt has nothing to do with your actual time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
donho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSR View Post
At what drag strip you have seen an X5M trap 119+ mph in cold weather and where is the time slip/video? I'd love to see it.

Also, what mods were on the X5M that allegedly trapped 119+ plus.

I hope this isn't another VBox nonsense fish tale.

Not a Vbox, but a Passport GT2.
before you laugh, let me explain.

The truck bone stock in warmer weather ran 12.7@109 on the gt2
I added the ESS Tune. It went 116+, then in cooler weather in the 40s, it posted a 119+ MPH
Now you can say the box is crap or inaccurate or whatever. But here is what happened.
The truck started feeling sluggish. I pulled the tune and sent it to the dealer where the found some problems in the air pumps for the compressors. they fixed the issue and I got the truck back

I took the truck to Atco dragway and ran it in the stock tune and since it was a dragster event i had only two passes. Temps were in the low 50s. I messed up the LC on the first pass due to a pro tree. On the second pass it posted a 12.5@113(funny, same MPH as your renntech tune???)
I came home that night, waited till my test highway was clear, set up my GT2 and made a pass. On the GT2 it showed 12.49@112.8
So according to that same night data, I would say my Gt2 is pretty dammed close to dragstrip times.

I tried loading the ESS tune during the next week and it would not take. I tried it again and now I am in the process of having ESS send me an entire new tune. They reset my DF and we are doing the entire process over again

My truck has factory exhaust and only a tune(used to have one) and a set of drop in K&Ns
cry bullshit all you want, but once I get my tune back, I would be willing to travel down south and we could head down to HOH in SC and we can race Heads up. Find a DP man and we could lock up 1000 for 5000 or better and I will travel to you. as long as you do not have NOS, we have a race and I will show you what a dud you own
I might be down there for a grudge race next weekend, so if I get the tune problem solved we can do it that soon.
Lets see if I have the 119 unicorn.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I took the truck to Atco dragway
We all know Atco is downhill. You can skip Cecil County too, another downhill track.

Sorry too easy to pass up. Atco is a good track that is flat and fast. I don't know if Cecil County is downhill. Both are just old rumors that never die.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
The truck started feeling sluggish. I pulled the tune and sent it to the dealer where the found some problems in the air pumps for the compressors. they fixed the issue and I got the truck back
Wow! I am really interested about you saying that your truck felt sluggish. I am experiencing that too. At the beginning of the year I snapped off a few 12.60's at the track then went on a 600km road trip. On my return it felt very sluggish, very laggy. Backed up my suspicion at the track with 13.1's to 13.4's and the DA was better than my 12.60 runs. I took it to the dealership, they found a low boost CEL and could not explain why the truck felt slow.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
donho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We all know Atco is downhill. You can skip Cecil County too, another downhill track.

Sorry too easy to pass up. Atco is a good track that is flat and fast. I don't know if Cecil County is downhill. Both are just old rumors that never die.
I have been to Cecil many times. The drive is actually about the same for me. and Cecil is like a circle track with all the runs you can make. One of my favorite is Cecil. I also ran my grudge car the fastest at Cecil.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
donho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
Wow! I am really interested about you saying that your truck felt sluggish. I am experiencing that too. At the beginning of the year I snapped off a few 12.60's at the track then went on a 600km road trip. On my return it felt very sluggish, very laggy. Backed up my suspicion at the track with 13.1's to 13.4's and the DA was better than my 12.60 runs. I took it to the dealership, they found a low boost CEL and could not explain why the truck felt slow.
since the dealer did the air pumps or whatever, the truck runs good. Also due to the cooler weather. But I cannot get the tune back in. ESS is working with me, but I cannot pull my stock config, onto my PC to send, to get modded again??? Last night we reset the handheld and today I spent almost an hours pulling the stock config from the ECU and I tried to load it onto my PC and still no good!!!:confused

But even bone stock, I know I can still go 113MPH
Hopefully we can figure this out before it snows again and I can make it to Etown. You ever seen a "unicorn" run??!!
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I added the ESS Tune. It went 116+, then in cooler weather in the 40s, it posted a 119+ MPH
Now you can say the box is crap or inaccurate or whatever. But here is what happened.

I took the truck to Atco dragway and ran it in the stock tune and since it was a dragster event i had only two passes. Temps were in the low 50s. I messed up the LC on the first pass due to a pro tree. On the second pass it posted a 12.5@113(funny, same MPH as your renntech tune???)
I came home that night, waited till my test highway was clear, set up my GT2 and made a pass. On the GT2 it showed 12.49@112.8
So according to that same night data, I would say my Gt2 is pretty dammed close to dragstrip times.

I tried loading the ESS tune during the next week and it would not take. I tried it again and now I am in the process of having ESS send me an entire new tune. They reset my DF and we are doing the entire process over again

My truck has factory exhaust and only a tune(used to have one) and a set of drop in K&Ns
cry bullshit all you want, but once I get my tune back, I would be willing to travel down south and we could head down to HOH in SC and we can race Heads up. Find a DP man and we could lock up 1000 for 5000 or better and I will travel to you. as long as you do not have NOS, we have a race and I will show you what a dud you own
I might be down there for a grudge race next weekend, so if I get the tune problem solved we can do it that soon.
Wow, you must have the fastest X5M ever built. Must be due to your connections at BMW.

What a bunch of bullshit. Who do you expect to believe that nonsense?

Who are channeling with your psuedo hood babble -Vanilla Ice?

A ton of words and no timeslip? WTF. Why don't you have a time slip with 119 mph on it, or even 113.

Also, you said you wanted to get DP'ed. You must be on the wrong forum.

In any event, if you find yourself in South Florida and want to race heads up, PM me.

Werd. Peace out. Ice Ice Baby...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the tune only. You are 100% correct.

I am very new to BMW's (the X5 50i is my first); but, I've been around drag racing and cars for 20 years. I am impressed with such large gains with only a tune.

What are the plans for the next mods? How fast do you hope to see the X5M go?

I am curious how fast it can go and still remain comfortably streetable. Obviously 11's at 115 is very realistic goal.

Thanks Brian.

Next mods will probably be downpipes, Akrapovic exhaust, air box mods, then bigger turbos.

If weather holds out, heading to track tomorrow. Added a little more timing. Goal is to run in the 11s with a tune only.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
BMWSR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
since the dealer did the air pumps or whatever, the truck runs good. Also due to the cooler weather. But I cannot get the tune back in. ESS is working with me, but I cannot pull my stock config, onto my PC to send, to get modded again??? Last night we reset the handheld and today I spent almost an hours pulling the stock config from the ECU and I tried to load it onto my PC and still no good!!!:confused

But even bone stock, I know I can still go 113MPH
Hopefully we can figure this out before it snows again and I can make it to Etown. You ever seen a "unicorn" run??!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSR View Post
Wow, you must have the fastest X5M ever built. Must be due to your connections at BMW.

What a bunch of bullshit. Who do you expect to believe that nonsense?

Who are channeling with your psuedo hood babble -Vanilla Ice?

A ton of words and no timeslip? WTF. Why don't you have a time slip with 119 mph on it, or even 113.

Also, you said you wanted to get DP'ed. You must be on the wrong forum.

In any event, if you find yourself in South Florida and want to race heads up, PM me.

Werd. Peace out. Ice Ice Baby...

DonHo - Just messing with you. Would like to see your truck trap 119.

Spend part of the year between NC and Florida. We don't have the weather in Florida now to run 119 or anything close.

My point was that a stock X5M using launch control ran 12.7 - 12.8 @ 107 mph on every run on the same night we were running 12.0s at 113 - 114 with a tune only.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
Brian425
Private First Class
Rep

DonHo, I'm not sure how old you are; but, I bet we have crossed paths at one point. I worked for a machine shop in Brooklyn, NY in the late 80's early 90's. I traveled a little with Jimmy LaRocca with his mustang and Mike Modeste into the mid 90's. (I was actually Mike's first sponsor.) I've been everywhere from Grand Bend Ontario to Bradenton.

I have a nitroused 88 Mustang. Best it ran was mid 9's in the 140's. It was built to take a 400 shot; but, only got it to a 200 shot before the 1st baby came. I really and trully wanted one timeslip with a 8.xx After my son was born, racing got put on the side.

I still have the car; but, I have slowed it down. Last summer I took it to Raceway Park once. New plugs, fresh gas and no bottle it went 10.50's at 125. Believe it or not, it is relatively streetable.

I keep thinking that a supercharger and a little work would make it a real streetable 10.00 car. I'm still working on getting that past the CFO (aka wife.)

I really should not talk to either you or BMWSR. You are just going to encourage me to spend $$.

I wonder how fast an X5 50i with a tune, intake, intercooler, and exhaust could go.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread