F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Roofers
Extreme Powerhouse

05-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #45
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

Regards repairs now I had this chap turned up, and was having a good look, he did say he is semi retired and works with his son who runs the company on bigger jobs ect.

All gutters have to come off
One of the ridge irons in wrong position
One hip not bedded if that's the right word
Facia around bay window needs sorting
Front bay flat roof stripped rebuild and GRPed, decision was made based on advice and cost about extra 200-250 vs felt, offers better life expectancy. I was looking at EDPM but he doesn't work with EDPM.
Rest of hips and ridges he said is not the worse he seen it and because is on fresh morter not advising to remove it. Main roof will be replaced in few years anyway.

LeadR around chimney is just glued to bricks, not inline with bricks, and adviced it should be fitted like normal lead. So needs sorting.

Couple of eveas trays needs refitting, specially around corners, he adviced to actually screw them down like it should be.

His words was is just untidy work and not been done to correct standard.

He don't want any upfront payments or anything and happy to receive payment once I'm happy with work and all been water tested.

We can afford to cover the cost of this repair and will have to fight with the previous roofer for refund, I did get message with higher offer on refund early on today, is not all money, he did say he would prefer to settle this then going via legal action. Is enough to cover the repairs ect. So I would be lying if I told you I'm not considering this, but our terms are simple that the money is returned promptly and not in week or month ect., if he won't come up with money legal it will be, then I can wait for money to cover not just repair to roof but also to internal of property. Wife keeps saying go legal but from reading about honestly I would prefer just get money to cover repairs and move on, sort this and get on with next thing on house.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:19 PM   #46
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Reading the previous post, it sounds like the new guy is genuine at least. He may be crap (who knows) but is obviously honest as not asking for a penny until you are happy.

Regarding the refund; get what you can now and move on.
To be honest, I am surprised the original guy is offering anything. It would be so easy for him to just ignore you and wait for you to chase him in court (which most don't do when push comes to shove).

There is an amount of integrity there as he is obviously holding his hands up to cocking the job up, which is (in a way) admirable these days.

From this I take it that he is honest but just rubbish at his job.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:32 AM   #47
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Reading the previous post, it sounds like the new guy is genuine at least. He may be crap (who knows) but is obviously honest as not asking for a penny until you are happy.

Regarding the refund; get what you can now and move on.
To be honest, I am surprised the original guy is offering anything. It would be so easy for him to just ignore you and wait for you to chase him in court (which most don't do when push comes to shove).

There is an amount of integrity there as he is obviously holding his hands up to cocking the job up, which is (in a way) admirable these days.

From this I take it that he is honest but just rubbish at his job.
I come to similar conclusion regards original roofer, wonder if he isn't experienced enough, realised he fucked up, there was bits during the whole ordeal that not many wouldn't done, come out on Sunday morning to take a look but at the same time it shouldn't leaked in first place, water test should have been done ect., and the worse thing was I told him don't rush the job, if you can't finish on date agreed just make sure that flat bay roof is done correctly,then comeback following day or two, don't lie to customers saying I will be at this and that time then turn up 7-8h later or with no material. Maybe he will learn if he want to progress. Biggest problem of his is what he says is different to what he does. Don't say you will put one piece felt on back only to patch it up again, it didn't stick first time it won't do it the next.
I accepted his refund but it falls under what he says ect. I belive it when I see it sort of thing. Offered to return within 48h. Will update regards that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:36 AM   #48
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Agree with Pond. If you can get enough back from the original guy take it and move on. If you go legal you may end up with nothing even if you win (if he has no money) and it might take an age.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 1
ade555123.50
      05-10-2024, 02:25 AM   #49
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Take the offer and run if he sticks to it. Even though he has very questionable trade skills, at least he seems to have some principles.

I absolutely hate engaging with tradespeople for this exact reason. I must have heard this story a dozen times before, including my own.
Appreciate 1
ade555123.50
      05-10-2024, 02:33 AM   #50
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

something tells me you won't see a penny from the original roofer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:44 AM   #51
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
I absolutely hate engaging with tradespeople for this exact reason. I must have heard this story a dozen times before, including my own.
Yes, they don't really help build any confidence in 'the trades'.

Having been let down by a few years ago, I taught myself the trades I didn't already know.

The only 'tradesman' I have employed in the last 30 years was a roofing carpenter to help with putting the roof trusses on my last house. He was scared of heights and refused to go up the scaffold ladder!!

Binned him off on day one and got the misses to help me. She was better than him aswell.
Appreciate 1
ade555123.50
      05-10-2024, 07:13 AM   #52
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's why most of my work gets done by my self, in all honesty I have some skill and ability to do the flat roof, but with everthing else that I do in house tough I get trade, didn't want risking leaks ect. Just used wrong person, there is got to be someone there that takes pride in work. Don't matter if they big or small most just after money.

Wife was complaining about upstairs windows catching on bottom, windows fitted by last owner and fairly new, so popped the beads and you know them little foams they use on glass for transport? That's what was under glass, result bent frame and window sagging, done toe and heeling and is spot on now. Wonder who fit them windows upstairs 🤦 just can't catch a break with anything in this house 🤣.

Once we finish with main house plan is to get extension, and no way I'm using trade apart from getting a bricklayer, everything else will be build by me and inspected stage by stage. Not paying anyone 40-60k for one only to be crying few months later.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #53
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
something tells me you won't see a penny from the original roofer.
I hope you wrong for my sake
Appreciate 1
MY340i731.50
      05-10-2024, 08:13 AM   #54
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Yes, they don't really help build any confidence in 'the trades'.

Having been let down by a few years ago, I taught myself the trades I didn't already know.

The only 'tradesman' I have employed in the last 30 years was a roofing carpenter to help with putting the roof trusses on my last house. He was scared of heights and refused to go up the scaffold ladder!!

Binned him off on day one and got the misses to help me. She was better than him aswell.
My wife can manage about two steps on ladder 🤣, I get more help from props then her 😜
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 02:45 AM   #55
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Refund delivered today, received 70% back from original price.

New roofer never turned up yesterday to do flat bay roof, words fail me been honest, highly recommend not even call saying he won't be here ect.

Just joke the ones I had dealings with you would think they doing me a favour, obviously must be good business been roofer in my neck of woods.
Appreciate 0