XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Rondaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

ABS, traction control and brake loght

This combination of lights illuminated this morning as I approached a stop sign at the bottom of a steep grade. I heard a grunchy sound at the right front corner and on came the lights. They've stayed on since. 2001 X5 4.4. Lots of miles. Wheel sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

If the red brake light came on, I'd suggest not to drive with the X5 and get it towed to a nearby facility (stealer or indie garage).

Red means bad.

Unless you have knowledge in car mechanic.
Then remove the wheel and look at it.

If it was the ABS sensor, only the amber ABS would come up, since it's a warning, but the car's still driveable.
When you have a red ABS or red brake light on, usually means that there's something serious with the braking system, thus not recommended to drive with it.

Do as you like, but I really don't think cars have changed that much since I've changed career.
Don't want to scare you, but if you go down a steepy hill, then press on the brakes just to notice the pedal goes all the way down, you won't like the feeling, trust me on this.

But then again, it could be nothing.
You won't know it until you'll have it checked...

2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Lovemydog
Pilo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Brake Problem on 2005 X5

Wifes 2005 X5, w/80K brake lights came on last week. Lights turned off, and returned again. Brakes, ABS, and 4x4 lights all came on. I had the brakes checked.. Front Pads were metal to metal with rotor. Changed both front and back pads with the rotors. Orderd brake sensor for the front. yet to insall sensor. I Read that once sensors are installed, lights will turn off. Will follow up next week, once I install sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10-X5-35d View Post
If the red brake light came on, I'd suggest not to drive with the X5 and get it towed to a nearby facility (stealer or indie garage).

Red means bad.

Unless you have knowledge in car mechanic.
Then remove the wheel and look at it.

If it was the ABS sensor, only the amber ABS would come up, since it's a warning, but the car's still driveable.
When you have a red ABS or red brake light on, usually means that there's something serious with the braking system, thus not recommended to drive with it.

Do as you like, but I really don't think cars have changed that much since I've changed career.
Don't want to scare you, but if you go down a steepy hill, then press on the brakes just to notice the pedal goes all the way down, you won't like the feeling, trust me on this.

But then again, it could be nothing.
You won't know it until you'll have it checked...

Appreciate 0