XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

My New X6 xDrive35i in Production

I traded in the 2006 325xi Wagon and got an X6 xDrive35i
  • X6 35i (V6 Twin Turbo)
  • Space Gray Metallic
  • Black Alcantara/Leather
  • Brushed Aluminum Trim
  • Premium Pkg.
  • Sport Pkg.
  • Technology Pkg.
  • Active Steering
  • Head-up Display
  • Heated front seats
  • Rear Climate Package
  • Running boards
  • Space saver spare
  • 21" Star Spoke 275 Wheel Set

Well, I could have paid 10k more to get the base X6M or about 17K for a nicely optioned X6M but what the heck, I'm pretty stoked with what I got & I couldnt really afford a 100k car. I will post pics when it arrives in about 2 months lol.

Several things I learned in the process. The workers at the dealership were not subject matter experts on the X6 so that lead to a couple tussels and I debated several items with them, specifically about wheels. Because I wanted my 35i with X6M style 300 rims.

They advised me that the X6M style 300 rims would void my warranty because in an e-mail they received from BMW North America it said they dont recommend those rims be placed on other than an "M" vehicle.

Long story short, if you really want X6M rims to come with your 35i they can make it happen; they are special order from Europe and cost $4,100 for a set of 4 rims. The dealer really didnt want to explore getting the X6M rims for me since they werent on the 35i accessories page of the Build Your Own section of the BMW USA website; even if it fit the car or not. They try to make it sound like those rims are exclusive to X6M by saying they will void a 35i warranty when thats not the truth.

The final conclusion I got after much debate with them on the issue was that the X6M rims, installed, mounted, balanced etc by a certified BMW dealer will not violate the warranty. The main thing the dealer was pushing in the beginning was the fact that using an X6M rim would void the warranty. The dealer originally told me that even if I had them installed by a BMW dealer it would still void the warranty and they are not to be used by my car at all. I was a little disappointed by their initial evasiveness to research the style 300 rim fitment cause I was spending about $78,000 on the car.

They made every excuse for me to not get them and backed it with nothing. After many phone calls, e-mails and hounding them with mathematical approaches I invalidated their info on the X6M rims and they told me I could get them for my car and it would still be under warranty. They kept pushing that they wouldnt fit or werent for my model but after pursuing it I found otherwise. So if you want OEM X6M rims like I did and were concerned about the warranty it shouldnt be an issue.

After much debate I said fuck it and just went with the Style 275 rims they look better with Space Gray anyway.

The only other gripe I had about the sale was that I will have 2 sets of rims and tires since BMW is retarded and wont deduct the cost of the rims that come with the Sport Package (style 212) from the ones I ordered with the car (style 275). I told them I dont want the style 212 but they say they have no choice. I really dont want 2 sets cause I wont be using them for the 6 month winter/summer split. I will be having a pair of 19" Light-alloy wheels, Star Spoke (style 212) with run-flat all-season tires for sale when I get the car since I bought the 21's (style 275). When this occurs, I will not be looking for an outrageous amount of money for the rims.

Last edited by artrosis; 10-31-2009 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: cleaned up version
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
chuckd123
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

re:

I've seen all the X6 wheels including the new M's numerous times and prefer the standard 35i's 232's (see my pics below) over those lame 212's that come standard on the sport package. The 214's look sweet but their an additional 1k on top of the sports package which is highway robbery again.

IMHO if you want the best looking wheelset on the X6, the 215's (21") are the ones. I was not impressed at all with the new M wheels. Very lazy design by BMW for their top end sport division (same with the whole body infact, though they did a decent job with the M X5). I'll be searching to purchase some 215's later on. Bear in mind that the standard 19" rims come with all seasons and any of the sports 20-22" sport rims only come in a performance rated tire.

Its nice to have both sets if you are in a multi-season area or you like to hit Tahoe in the winter like i do here in the SF Bay Area.

Nice color choice by the way, just got my 2010 36i in last week. Space Grey with Chateau. Let me tell you all something, I've waited 2 and half years to purchase this thing (was waiting for the new iDrive to come out) and this is the best color combination for the X6 bar none.

Some pretty crappy pics from my iphone below, Ill be posting some better ones when I have more time. Ciao
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Very nice.

I agree, 215s are nice looking wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

cool interior you got! i like it!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What style rims are those, 212?

Is that chateau with alcantara or the chateau leather?

Is that bamboo trim??

Thanks for taking the time to post pics, I love your cars interior, im starting to regret getting the black leather with aluminum trim and spending $6500 bucks on the big wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
chuckd123
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

My rims are the 232's, they are the 19"ers that come standard on the 35i petrol (in the USA anyway).

The interior color is Chateau Red with Nevada leather. You can get it in the Alcantra but I don't like that suede look or feel, it's difficult to clean (ouch if you spilled any liquids on it), doesn't allow for easy of sliding in/out of the seat and of course the upcharge for it.

Yes, the trim is bamboo. To me, the Chateau looks way better and more sophisticated with the Bamboo then with the cheap and cheesy looking silver/alum trim. Also with Bamboo, as you can see in my pics, there are some aluminum accents that give it that sweet little bit of punch.

IMHO, black interiors are OK, but they are to damn normal, look less sophisticated matching the beautiful aesthetics of the X6, and to be brutally honest, do not look good with the fairly cheap leather that BMW uses for all of their cars (sorry I'm coming from a Range Rover).

Like I said, I've been waiting quite a while for my X6 and have seen every color combination available in person (along with lurking the numerous pics on xbimmers and xoutpost.com). The Space G with Chateau is an incredible color combination. Its hard to get the best visual of the Chateau in pictures as it is so dynamic and not very photogenic. I would call it more of a dark burgundy wine color, with a tint of blue in it. Perfection.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll try to post some more pics later today or tomorrow. Ciao
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

The reason for options is that people have different tastes.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update*** I cancelled the 35i and got the M, it cost 102,000... Post coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I was going to say... you were paying more for your 35i than I am paying for my 50i... Grats on the decision to go to the M
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

hehe, a very good new choice
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
I was going to say... you were paying more for your 35i than I am paying for my 50i... Grats on the decision to go to the M
LoL Thanks
Appreciate 0