XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Need an X5 - Buy used or lease new?

My wife really wants an X5 but she doesn't really drive very much so I've been putting it off due to the expense vs. amount of use.

I'm considering getting her one for her BDay this weekend so I have the option of getting a used 07 with about 55k or leasing a new one.

She is totally fine with a nice/clean used vehicle and that's all that she asked for anyway. The new one would cost about 100-150 per month more than the used one - But the used ones that aren't the same price as the lease don't have a warranty.

I've never leased anything so I'm just unsure if there is a serious drawback to this. She wont drive more than MAYBE 10k in a year and that's including using it for weekend road trips.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Yeah.

If she is indifferent about driving a new car.. buy the used car and keep it for 5-10 years.

If she likes new stuff, lease.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
PotOdds
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX300

I was sorta in the same boat. Wanted a x5 but don't drive much in the city. Wanted something with a decent warranty since it would be my first bimmer. Thought about new, then about lease, then used, finally settled on a good compromise, got a CPO. CPO gives you an additional 2 years/100k warranty.

Going lease isn't a bad idea but I figured I would be holding onto the car more than 2-3 years and it was a better value, to own the car rather than lease.

Another option is to do a swapalease which would put you in a 2011 x5 for 2 years rather than 3 years for a 2012. This gives you the option of getting out of the lease sooner and perhaps going with the next generation x5 which is coming out in like 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

So the ones that are CPO end up costing just a few bucks less per month than the new lease - But - Once it's paid off then you get to keep it. I guess the other thing is that if I buy a CPO 07 then I'll have warranty until 2013 and if I keep it any longer than the lease term then I'll have no warranty. I really don't know a ton about X5's and their common issues so I don't know if they are really expensive to keep once they have a few miles and no warranty.
Appreciate 0