XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-22-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
Lonestar68
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Brake issue after battery change

Issue after battery replacement
2008 X5 with the 3.0L was running fine had to replace battery after changing battery and registering battery and all faults cleared. No codes shown on car or warnings on dash. The car acts as if the emergency brake is partially set. the car moves but you can tell there is resistance and if you let off the gas it will stop as if being braked. I did the manual emergency brake reset back in the back pulling up the plunger it had no effect. If i set the parking brake it holds the car tight and releases as you would expect. The hold works like it should I am lost on what to try next. Also the car moves easier in reverse still feel some resistance but not like moving in drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 04:05 AM   #2
Attacking Mid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e53, e83, e70

Sounds like you may have a stuck caliper. Jack it up and see if you have one wheel that won't spin. Probably just a coincidence that it occurred at the same time as your battery failure.

AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
Lonestar68
Registered
Rep

I will give that a try just seems really weird it would occur at the exact moment the battery was changed
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

With all the sensitive electronics in these cars I wouldn't be surprised if a module controlling the parking brake is acting up after a battery replacement.

Maybe try to reset the parking brake like this guy does?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 02:42 AM   #5
Lonestar68
Registered
Rep

Yeah I have tried that procedure, I can actually activate the parking brake and it holds the car. And if I turn the brake off the car will move. The same for the hold function. Just when driving it acts as if it is partially still on. I went through my scan again I am getting VTG transfer box fault. But I have no other codes it does not have a 4x4 or ABS or Brake fault. So I am really confused. I’m not sure what the VTG transfer does or how it might be causing the partial braking issue.
Appreciate 0