XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
ColinAlton
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

Problems with X6 50i

I've had my X6 50i for 3 weeks.

Yesterday I had a failure of the stability control software. All systems including the 4 wheel drive system became inactive. The car is at the dealership having the software reinstalled. Has anyone else had this problem?

In addition, the rear offside door did not close properly, the bright trim on this door is being replaced (ill fitting) and the near side front door trim rattles annoyingly.

Comments?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Wow you would not expect all this from a BMW.....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Puka
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

That's called bad luck man, I feel sorry for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

rattles are things i got used to since i got my x6 ... really annoying car ~_~

hard luck man
      01-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Are you guys serious? The X6 is that low quality??
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezo86 View Post

I have not had any kind of rattles of issues like that. Just steering issues that will hopefully be resolved on the 21st when I take it it to the dealer to drive with a BMW engineer.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinAlton View Post
I've had my X6 50i for 3 weeks.

Yesterday I had a failure of the stability control software. All systems including the 4 wheel drive system became inactive. The car is at the dealership having the software reinstalled. Has anyone else had this problem?

In addition, the rear offside door did not close properly, the bright trim on this door is being replaced (ill fitting) and the near side front door trim rattles annoyingly.

Comments?
Post pics?

As far as the issues go, I am surprised there are so few issues given the complexity of the vehicles.

The 5.0 owners are walking in new territory since it is a new engine. If you want to be first on the block, there are always issues and that is what the warranty is for. You will find life much easier if you get the car fixed and
      01-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

no rattle issues but software ones , check engine light will not go away (was at dealer 3 days for that, still on). Dealer says will have some kind of solution maybe this week, problem first reported before Christmas.

So I haven't seen many issues other than dealer doesn't seem to be trained on X6.
Still think there is too much wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
no rattle issues but software ones , check engine light will not go away (was at dealer 3 days for that, still on). Dealer says will have some kind of solution maybe this week, problem first reported before Christmas.

So I haven't seen many issues other than dealer doesn't seem to be trained on X6.
Still think there is too much wind noise.
I road in my neighbor's 2007 X5 last night. Wind noise is the same.

What did you drive before that was so quiet? My X6 rides better and is no noisier than my 645 or 330 was. So I am not sure what you are comparing to.
      01-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

sorry to hear man!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post

What did you drive before that was so quiet? My X6 rides better and is no noisier than my 645 or 330 was. So I am not sure what you are comparing to.
Maybe he has a lot of rebel wind recently in Los Gatos. ..which probably wasn't there before. .climate change.

Now seriously, if some of you drove a taller car before, like I drove the Pajero for 15 years, you know that taller cars, off-roads, SUV's more recently, are subject to wind buffeting, especially on wide open country roads. . which is physically normal. It's not the X6, it's the shape of it, which thanks God, is low enough, but still subject to nature's frolics. Imagine the wind buffeting in a Land Rover Defender. It's the vertical mass against the wind. .even if the X6 vertical mass is more aerodynamic than anything else. .It is aerodynamic in the direction of driving, not sideways.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezo86 View Post
I actually starting to think it is

Quote:

I have an 03 X5 that is much quieter when it comes to wind noise and is rattle free after 6 years and 60k km

where my x6 is turning into a rattle box with alot of wind noise and a hell lot of issues that some were solved and some not

here's my list:
1-rattles all over the cabin

2-dealer diagnosed a faulty rear shock absorber and has been on order for two weeks now

3-squeaky breaks

4-sticky breaks and occasionally faulty auto hold function

5-dealer needed to do a software update due to noises when turning on the ignition (gearbox area)

6-rear bumper was out of place and dealer solved it but put a scratch on it

there are more issues that i don't remember but this car is starting to really get on my nerves
      01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEmZ View Post
I actually starting to think it is

I have an 03 X5 that is much quieter when it comes to wind noise and is rattle free after 6 years and 60k km

where my x6 is turning into a rattle box with alot of wind noise and a hell lot of issues that some were solved and some not

here's my list:
1-rattles all over the cabin

2-dealer diagnosed a faulty rear shock absorber and has been on order for two weeks now

3-squeaky breaks

4-sticky breaks and occasionally faulty auto hold function

5-dealer needed to do a software update due to noises when turning on the ignition (gearbox area)

6-rear bumper was out of place and dealer solved it but put a scratch on it

there are more issues that i don't remember but this car is starting to really get on my nerves
What kind of roads do you have there? Maybe a simpler vehicle would be better for you.

It seems most of your issues are dealer related. Some dealers are poor at predelivery inspection.
      01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

MeEmZ,

"3-squeaky breaks"

I have a question:

How does desert sand affects other cars?! Just curious. .

How much humidity you get there in Riyadh?

PS: Software update for noises in the gearbox?!? I never heard of such a think before. .

what noises? and why software should be the problem? software for what? Is the Idrive monitoring strange noise in gear box?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #15
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
What kind of roads do you have there? Maybe a simpler vehicle would be better for you.

It seems most of your issues are dealer related. Some dealers are poor at predelivery inspection.
hmmm well previous bmw that we owned weren't this bad actually some where the most reliable cars i have ever driven

dealer is not that bad though, maybe not the best but not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
MeEmZ,

"3-squeaky breaks"

I have a question:

How does desert sand affects other cars?! Just curious. .

How much humidity you get there in Riyadh?

PS: Software update for noises in the gearbox?!? I never heard of such a think before. .

what noises? and why software should be the problem? software for what? Is the Idrive monitoring strange noise in gear box?

well my car has never been to the desert so i can't really comment on that
and regarding humidity ... it's close to zero

well the dealer did a software update to resolve a sound coming for the area under the gearbox for underneath the car and the sound is gone now ... don't think i drive has anything to do with that but thats what they did

oh yeah and i discovered a new sound today coming from the tailgate ... it's like having your very own orchestra playing in your car, makes me wanna drive her more
      01-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

The BMW Loose Nuts Orchestra!

Quote:
hmmm well previous bmw that we owned weren't this bad actually some where the most reliable cars i have ever driven

well the dealer did a software update to resolve a sound coming for the area under the gearbox for underneath the car and the sound is gone now ... don't think i drive has anything to do with that but thats what they did

oh yeah and i discovered a new sound today coming from the tailgate ... it's like having your very own orchestra playing in your car, makes me wanna drive her more
You've check that the tool kit items are snug in their slots. & nothing loose in the fuse/wiring compartments on either side of the storage/trunk area?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

All of these rattling noises are odd because I have had no rattling noises or any weird sounds yet. Granted I have only had my X6 for 5 months and only have 5k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Lemon Vote: Award your x6 1-5 lemons!

1 Lemon : Marginal, less than expectation, BMW reputation redeemable if dealer can remedy on 1 visit.
2 Lemons: Apalling, disappointed at purchase, BMW reputation is seriously at risk. Dealer service is willing but unable to remedy within 3 visits.
3 Lemons: Completely Disappointed at your x6 purchase.
See your BMW service advisor more often than your spouse. Thinking of getting rid of your x6.
4 Lemons:x6 spends more time in dealer's garage than yours. You're on first name basis w/ serivice department staff.You're driving your old favorite car for fear of discovering more "issues" when u drive the x6.
5 Lemons;Completely disgusted by BMW, swear u'll never step into their showroom. You researching other cars on the internet, or have appointments for test driving other brands.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Cast your ballot!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #19
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

3.5 Lemons
      01-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #20
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
rattles are things i got used to since i got my x6 ... really annoying car ~_~

hard luck man
Strange! Dont get any rattles at all in mine...
My X5 did have some but the X6 feels very tight and well done.
After a lots of new cars...X5...volvo xc90 etc.. The X6 is the car that often makes me think...wow this beats everything i had in my car history...
      01-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Strange! Dont get any rattles at all in mine...
My X5 did have some but the X6 feels very tight and well done.
After a lots of new cars...X5...volvo xc90 etc.. The X6 is the car that often makes me think...wow this beats everything i had in my car history...
+1. I'm with you. X6 still feels fantastic after 16,000 miles (in 8 months). No squeaks, rattles, knocks, hums or anything.... I also don't think that the ride noise is intrusive at all - it's definitely louder at higher speeds with the summer tires on, although still really quiet for a car of this size in my opinion. The Scorpions are quieter than the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but are narrower so would expect that even though both are RFT's. I was in a friends Cayanne recently - horrible ride and wayyyy noisier than the X6 - I was really pleased I had the BMW after the first quarter mile.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #22
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

well now that i had an accident last thursday my car will be at the dealers for quite a while (front bumper,right fender cracked under the grills and alot of damage to the fogs) i might let them on the rattles and make them do the suspension repair i asked for a while back hopefully i'll get her back as good as new or better i hope