XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Chewy5
Rep
Drives: E71

X6 Spartanburg plant vehicle tracking

Hi there,

I was reading about tracking BMW vehicles coming in by ship from Europe and was wondering whether the X6 that is made in the U.S. South Carolina (Spartanburg) plant also gets transported to a VPC (Vehicle Preparation Center) first before finally arriving at the dealership?

When I call that 800 automated information service number it says my vehicle is "in transit". So i'm just wondering if the destination of this is a VPC or will it go directly to my dealership?

And once it arrives at my dealership, how long after that do I have to wait until I can pick it up? What is PDI and how long does it take? I've read that customers have picked up vehicles at their dealership hours after it's arrival.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

I believe they do - when any vehicle arrives as an import it first needs to clear customs, which happens at the VPC in the US but may happen dockside in Europe. BMW have a VPC outside of Munich where the vehicles are fully inspected, transportation wax remover, any body damage incurred during shipping repaired, etc. Car is then released and transported to the dealer, who carries out the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) to ensure no transportation damage, all fluids are topped up, plastic seat covers and protectors removed, brakes are loosened (they can bind during a long period of non-use), vehicle is fueled up and any other local statutory requirements are fulfilled (e.g. tax disc attached).

Depending upon the number of cars and any damage it can take anything from a few hours to a few days for the car to go through the VPC. A PDI can be completed in a couple of hours at your local dealer however.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

X6 is made in Spartanburg, mine went to prep center (somewhere in SoCal) before going to my dealer. My dealer needed a day to get it ready for me to pick up.
      12-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

mine too!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

My dealer service rep told me that x6 is shipped without electronic/computer programming, only driver's door can open & speed limited, only @ PDI is everything loaded.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
My dealer service rep told me that x6 is shipped without electronic/computer programming, only driver's door can open & speed limited, only @ PDI is everything loaded.

Wow haven't heard that before, guess it makes sense.
      12-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
I can confirm that my X6 did indeed arrive at the dealer without the computer/electronics working. They needed a day to prepare it and I went to check it out before they started.

Just to get into the car they actually had to use the key as the FOB did nothing. Then when he started it up I noticed nothing was showing on the screen. Seeing the horror on my face he quickly reassured me that they had to programme it during the day and it would be ready the next morning.

True to his word, everything was up and running when I picked her up.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
x6bgd
Serbia
Rep
Drives: X6 3.0d

Hi guys!

I was wondering if someone nows if the factory in S.Crl was closed since in dealership they told me that my X6 is late for 2-3 weeks because of that...
And is there a way to follow the car and find out where it is after leaving the factory or not...? and usually how long it takes to get to Europe?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6bgd View Post
Hi guys!

I was wondering if someone nows if the factory in S.Crl was closed since in dealership they told me that my X6 is late for 2-3 weeks because of that...
And is there a way to follow the car and find out where it is after leaving the factory or not...? and usually how long it takes to get to Europe?

Thx
As far as I know, the plant was shut down over the Christmas holidays and re-opened beginning of the year. There are some previous posts on this forum in regards to that topic.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
x6bgd
Serbia
Rep

Yeah there is... and people says that it maybe closed for a few months ! that why Im asking... anyway thx a lot...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
x6bgd
Serbia
Rep

Guys what is that 800 number where you can get information about your car status? And can you get any info for the cars going to Europe?
Appreciate 0