XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #23
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

ok I guess it's just one of those semantic things...

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh..._x6/index.html
The surprise here is a new engine for the top-of-the-range 50i - it's not the 4.8-liter engine that's found in the 5-series, 6-series, and 7-series cars that use the 50i suffix. It is instead a twin-turbocharged, direct-injected 4.4-liter V-8.

Output for the 35i is the same 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque we've come to expect - and thoroughly enjoy - in its other applications. The new turbo V-8 makes a similarly welcome 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque - far better figures than that old normally aspirated 4.8-liter V-8. Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic that drivers can shift themselves if the mood should strike.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1581/1609/FREE
The X6 xDrive 50i will be the first model to receive the German carmaker's eagerly awaited 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 engine when it goes on sale here in April. The new engine will replace the company's existing 4.8-liter V8, a move that underlines BMW's commitment toward engine downsizing through a combination of twin-stage turbocharging and direct injection.
      07-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

The engine is the original BMW 4.4 block as used in the 5 series and the early X5s, upgraded with double-Vanos -- variable valve timing on intake and exhaust -- with a couple of turbos bolted on. The innovations are where and how the turbos are mounted, where and how the first-stage catalytic converters are mounted, the incredibly complex engine management software, knock detection using special spark plugs, piezo direct injectors, multi-stage injection, 'bumping' of the turbos to spin them up to speed, late ignition used to 'light' the catalysts, and probably even more.

It doesn't make much business sense to keep making a 4.4TT next to a 4.8 normally aspirated engine, so one can assume that the turbo is the future. The turbos add little to the cost as they are basic, simple turbos with no variable scroll chambers or any of that stuff. They are cooled both by water and by oil, and have a dedicated water pump to keep coolant flowing through them while they cool down.

It would not surprise me if the 50i is, indeed, more economical than the 35i under some conditions, as the engine works less hard for a given level of performance. Because so much of engines like these are dependent on the software (which is why guys like Shiv at Vishnu can so easily up the boost) we can assume that there will be a whole raft of improvements over the years as BMW gets more real-world experience with the technology.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #25
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
The engine is the original BMW 4.4 block as used in the 5 series and the early X5s, upgraded with double-Vanos -- variable valve timing on intake and exhaust -- with a couple of turbos bolted on. The innovations are where and how the turbos are mounted, where and how the first-stage catalytic converters are mounted, the incredibly complex engine management software, knock detection using special spark plugs, piezo direct injectors, multi-stage injection, 'bumping' of the turbos to spin them up to speed, late ignition used to 'light' the catalysts, and probably even more.

It doesn't make much business sense to keep making a 4.4TT next to a 4.8 normally aspirated engine, so one can assume that the turbo is the future. The turbos add little to the cost as they are basic, simple turbos with no variable scroll chambers or any of that stuff. They are cooled both by water and by oil, and have a dedicated water pump to keep coolant flowing through them while they cool down.

It would not surprise me if the 50i is, indeed, more economical than the 35i under some conditions, as the engine works less hard for a given level of performance. Because so much of engines like these are dependent on the software (which is why guys like Shiv at Vishnu can so easily up the boost) we can assume that there will be a whole raft of improvements over the years as BMW gets more real-world experience with the technology.
Very well stated.I agree in the world of $3-$4 Gas ( I'm an Optimist!!!) Turbo's are the future in the Auto Manufacturing World.Combined w/ things like direct injection,demand only water pumps,alternators....etc,I think you can begin to see better MPG's even in X6 sized vehicles.Thanks! PalBay
      07-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #26
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagejunk View Post
I'm pretty sure that's korean.
Yeah it's Korean. Damn! You beat me to the punch...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I didn't think the engine was new.

When the 645 went to the 650, BMW just bored on the block a little more.

I assume the X5 4.4 was just bored out and two turbos put on it. I can't imagine BMW wasting R&D dollars developing a new engine that is indentical to the 4.4. Make no sense to me.

Even the 650's engine came from the 8 series back in the 1990's. BMW made slight tweaks to it but it is basically the same block.
The engine is almost a brand new engine. I would assume that it started out with the previous generation 4.4L V8, however it uses a completely different injection system, the addition of the two turbos alone makes this a completely different beast and then there is the electronic controller, which would require a complete overhaul ....

So again, this is NOT the same engine as the 4.4L V8 as used in previous generation X5 models and others....
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
So again, this is NOT the same engine as the 4.4L V8 as used in previous generation X5 models and others....
Well, it is and it isn't. It is the same basic short block but with a completely different top end. I imagine BMW also beefed up bearings and things, although my '02 4.4 engine has happily handled 400HP for 50,000 km without a hiccup, so the engine was obviously pretty sturdy to start with.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Well, it is and it isn't. It is the same basic short block but with a completely different top end. I imagine BMW also beefed up bearings and things, although my '02 4.4 engine has happily handled 400HP for 50,000 km without a hiccup, so the engine was obviously pretty sturdy to start with.
Well, basically what I meant is that overall it is not the same engine. Pretty much any car manufacturer out there re-uses parts from a previous generation engine to keep development and manufacturing costs down as much as possible.

I guess what I meant to say (and didn't write) is that you can't really compare figures from other models to this car/engine since it basically is not the same engine.

I'm glad to hear that your engine has been running at 400HP for quite some time without any issues. Just goes to show the quality of the engines BMW builds
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #30
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Yo op....I think the engineer meant 24kpg(KM per gallon) instead of mpg...J/k

Anyway, I hope the mpg numbers are true but it sounds impossible for a near 2.5 ton car.
      07-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #31
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

I also think that is korean. Maybe it belongs to Kim Song Il.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #32
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
I'm going to need to make two post,one Exterior and one Interior.Spotted this VR 50i w/ Leather Dash and Style 214 Y Spoke wheels.This X6 is a non-US model.I don't recognize the language on the side view mirror.I did not think you can get these Y Spoke wheels on the 50i per the X6 brochure.I have seen some 50i X6's on car haulers w/ the Y Spoke wheels.As I was taking these pic's an older restored 5 Series pulled up in the stall right next to the X6.A "rut row" moment.A guy gets out of the 5 Series and says don't mind me....I gotta get a broom out of this X6.This guy is a BMW engineer and this 50i is his daily driver/test car.He raves about the X6.He said the biggest surprise on the 50i X6 is the real world gas mileage the car gets.He said he has been driving this X6 for about 2 months.He said he is getting 18-19 MPG City and 23-24 MPG Interstate.He said he does drive "Sprited".I said he was BS'ing me.He said he was dead serious....confirmed by the onboard computer and him checking the old fashion way:miles driven divided by gallons used!!!! He said the "buzz" about the 50i will be the fantastic gas mileage the TTV8 gets.In fact he said the TTV8 will get better gas mileage than the TTI6 in the 35i!!!!! I hope this guy is right.....if he is....BMW has created a "Masterpiece" engine.Thought you would like to know about this encounter.Thanks! PalBay
In retrospect.
      01-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #33
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
In retrospect.
Haven't seen over 13.8-14mpg in city driving with a little hwy mixed in here and there
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #34
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Haven't seen over 13.8-14mpg in city driving with a little hwy mixed in here and there
+1 mine is about the same haven't done much highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #35
JeffCBH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 50i

Me, too...averaging about 12 or 13 with mostly city driving...
Appreciate 0