XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-18-2021, 11:29 PM   #1
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

Please Help! I need Car Play Retrofit Suggestion/Advice:

Hi All -

I'm looking to retrofit my 2012 x5m with CarPlay. I spent probably 5-10 hours researching on here and other forums. I can't seem to find a definitive answer regarding which system I should roll the dice on given most seem to not offer refunds for returns. It's 2021 now and many of the threads are from years ago. What is the best CarPlay retrofit option for today, and why?

Here is what my current set up is, and what I'm looking for:

I have a 2012 x5m with the individual audio, heads up display, and side and rear cameras—both OEM.

I'm looking for a box that ideally can:

1. Use CarPlay, not interested in Android.

2. Allows wireless connection. Not just USB.

3. Ideally it will let me use the steering wheel controls for volume and next/last track. I've noticed some don't allow this. I almost bought the bimmertech retro fit earlier this week, but then saw it doesn't work with steering wheel controls

4. Has "OEM quality" audio quality for wireless streaming music—or at least as good as the OEM streaming bluetooth. I want to be able to use Spotify and other apps to stream music. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality.

5. Ideally doesn't have major bug issues. I've read some crazy glitch stories on here and other forums where it brakes other unrelated things—and nobody wants that. I would like my heads up display and OEM cameras to still operate like normal.

6 Would be great to be able to eventually upgrade my screen too, but it’s not the most important part for me.

7. Boots up quickly and automatically and connects to my phone again when I get in the car—ie, not having to reconnect every time I get in. I guess if I have to press a button to turn it on, I can deal with it though if everything else is better about a certain system.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and any advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:32 AM   #2
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm thinking about this set up from the 4x4shop.ca that has a nice looking 10 or 12" screen too. Anyone have any experience with it? One review I read talked about using a DAC, and setting it up as AHU (android head unit) USB out -> DAC -> 3.5mm jack in arm rest... and when done properly getting audio quality as good or better than OEM. I'm still researching it though.
Appreciate 1
AYF8080.50
      02-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Bump: Does anyone have experience with the new black bezel 4x4 shop android unit? I'd love to hear high level reviews, but specifically would love to hear experience with audio quality as well as how long it takes from the moment you start the engine, to get into CarPlay and open "Waze" or "Spotify" for example. I've read these various retrofits range from taking 20 seconds to re-connect for some, to up to 3-5 minutes for other android units to boot up and then then open CarPlay, and then reconnect to your phone etc.
Appreciate 0