XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

e70 x5 35d questions (dsc coding, abc delete, glow plugs... etc)

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2011 x5 35d with 126k miles on the odometer. It runs well but recently gave me a CEL for #5 glow plug.
It also had a CEL for a clogged SCR code in it's memory.
I LOVE the vehicle and could see myself keeping it for quite some time. So, I'd like to get it set up for the long term. I'd appreciate some input on things I should be looking to do.
As for the coding... Is there a way to TOTALLY disable the traction control and DSC? We recently got about 12" of snow and while the x5 does REALLY well, the electronic nannies keep kicking-in during my epic snow drifting (ultimate driving machine my ass... ). So, can the DSC and traction control be totally tuned out or coded out?
Another nit-picky thing, but why doesn't the power hatch close using the button in the cabin or the remote? It seems really stupid to have a button that can open a power hatch but not close it...
As for an ABC delete and tune. I'm leaning towards a DUDMD or Malone tune because of their proximity to my house. DUDMD is about 2 hours North, or I can go to Cascade German Parts (formerly Bora Parts) who's an authorized Malone distributor. Anyone with direct experience between the two? I'm prioritizing drivability, MPG, towing and lack of smoke over power.
I'll be getting downpipe for the delete to pair with the tune. I'm only looking at catted versions (because of the smell). There seems to be several options now. Any recommendations on the following?
  • Buzzken, $1,340, Made in Canada
  • Rawtek, $1,155
  • ATM, $850
  • VRSF, $789

I've read that Buzzken recently started putting a larger DOC which helps to further eliminate diesel odors (a very strong consideration for me). I'd like to cut down on the diesel smell as much as possible. Anyone have any experience with ATM or VRSF? I assume those two are manufactured in Asia somewhere...
Lastly, should I get a trans tune? Sometimes it feels very slippy... Especially when cold. I imagine that a trans tune will tighten things up and lock the converter (further helping with mpg's). But is it worth the money?

Thanks,
Jorgen
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

You need snow tires in snow. Period

No amount of Traction control and DSC is going to help you.

If I were you sell the diesel and get the gas version of X5
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

no brainer to get a DUDMD tune

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 1
Spyro235259.50
      02-15-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

If it's the same from my E92, if you long hold the traction control button 10 seconds it will turn it completely off instead of mid off.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
You need snow tires in snow. Period

No amount of Traction control and DSC is going to help you.

If I were you sell the diesel and get the gas version of X5
I have Michelin x-ice tires. They are FANTASTIC. I want to turn off the traction control though to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
no brainer to get a DUDMD tune
Why’s that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
If it's the same from my E92, if you long hold the traction control button 10 seconds it will turn it completely off instead of mid off.
I tried that but couldn’t get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberjj View Post
I have Michelin x-ice tires. They are FANTASTIC. I want to turn off the traction control though to have fun.

Why’s that?

I tried that but couldn’t get it to work.
have you searched? malone is dirty tune...

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

If you press the button once to go into traction "on" which lets you spin the tires up to a certain rpm but keeps you in check laterally. If you hold it down dsc will be fully off. If you want the most fun get xdelete for your x5 and run it in rwd mode and tune the trans with xhp then you can have some fun because you'll get rid of some other safety's that might be shutting you off. I'm assuming you're having a hard time because you're on snow tires in awd... with dsc fully off it'll still cut power if it doesn't like what you're doing, aka, trying to do a doughnut with awd.

And to expand on what sunny_j said about dirty tunes... This is what you get:
Attached Images

Nyc Dito112.50
      02-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
If you press the button once to go into traction "on" which lets you spin the tires up to a certain rpm but keeps you in check laterally. If you hold it down dsc will be fully off. If you want the most fun get xdelete for your x5 and run it in rwd mode and tune the trans with xhp then you can have some fun because you'll get rid of some other safety's that might be shutting you off. I'm assuming you're having a hard time because you're on snow tires in awd... with dsc fully off it'll still cut power if it doesn't like what you're doing, aka, trying to do a doughnut with awd.

And to expand on what sunny_j said about dirty tunes... This is what you get:
Yeah, I'm definitely trying to avoid the rolling coal... lol
I know the trick of holding the traction control button for 3 seconds to turn off the DSC. However, it's not 100% off. If you go and cut a few doughnuts or try to hold a drift in the snow, the power will be cut temporarily every few seconds. I don't understand the rational behind this, but I'm sure the power is being cut.
Good to know about the x-drive being disabled... That sounds fun. I don't know how often I'd need it, but if I was going to get a trans tune anyway...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
gilberjj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
have you searched? malone is dirty tune...
Good to know. I remember getting a Malone stage 2 for my Jetta TDI and it was dirtier than I would have preferred...
Edit: Looks like I'll be getting the DUDMD.

Last edited by gilberjj; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely trying to avoid the rolling coal... lol
I know the trick of holding the traction control button for 3 seconds to turn off the DSC. However, it's not 100% off. If you go and cut a few doughnuts or try to hold a drift in the snow, the power will be cut temporarily every few seconds. I don't understand the rational behind this, but I'm sure the power is being cut.
Good to know about the x-drive being disabled... That sounds fun. I don't know how often I'd need it, but if I was going to get a trans tune anyway...
I think you might have missed the point of what I was saying. If you want to be able to do doughnuts and drifts you'll need to tune the transmission with xhp and get xdelete. Otherwise fully stock you'll always get a power cut from the trans and awd, even with traction fully off.

For me I run traction fully off with xdelete to sport mode and doughnuts and power drifts are easily done.
      02-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I think you might have missed the point of what I was saying. If you want to be able to do doughnuts and drifts you'll need to tune the transmission with xhp and get xdelete. Otherwise fully stock you'll always get a power cut from the trans and awd, even with traction fully off.

For me I run traction fully off with xdelete to sport mode and doughnuts and power drifts are easily done.
Oh wow really? That sucks to learn. I thought it would still let you slide around but just AWD? You guys sure there isn't just any coding you can do?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. I remember getting a Malone stage 2 for my Jetta TDI and it was dirtier than I would have preferred...
Edit: Looks like I'll be getting the DUDMD.
Doesn't DUDMD only offer stage 1 and 2 which seems to be for stock cars?

What do you guys do if you are ABC delete?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh wow really? That sucks to learn. I thought it would still let you slide around but just AWD? You guys sure there isn't just any coding you can do?
Sorry I guess I should of been more clear. The xhp gets rid of all the power cutting bs, so you can do doughnuts and stuff.

The xdelete is so you can fine tune your front/rear split so when you do the doughnuts you get more... "control" I guess I would put it...
      02-20-2021, 12:56 AM   #14
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Hello,
Another nit-picky thing, but why doesn't the power hatch close using the button in the cabin or the remote? It seems really stupid to have a button that can open a power hatch but not close it...
Jorgen

gilberjj

My hypothesis is that this option was disabled in NA due to incomplete implementation (e.g. missing annoying beeping).

You can code it to close.
Both remote and from inside cabin.
Same goes for windows, sunroof, mirrors (folding).

https://xoutpost.com/849032-post6.html

Last edited by POBEP; 02-20-2021 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:07 AM   #15
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Lastly, should I get a trans tune? Sometimes it feels very slippy... Especially when cold. I imagine that a trans tune will tighten things up and lock the converter (further helping with mpg's). But is it worth the money?
Jorgen
gilberjj

ZF6HP has some noticeable jerk when cold - it is normal.
Just drive it in the same gear for 2 minutes when cold.

Check the thermostat.
It is maintenance part, fails approximately every 4 years.
Failed Tstat delays engine (and TC) warm up, causes glow plug to fail and eventually clog DPF

Change transmission fluid, filter & seals.
Then reset adaptation and perform re-learning procedure.
Silk smooth thereafter.

Last edited by POBEP; 02-20-2021 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #16
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

I went with an ATM downpipe with the optional DOC and a BRR tune which I'm very happy with.

I like the fact that the DOC is very close to the turbo where some others have the DOC further down the exhaust where it wont get as hot (and could be less effective from what I have read). I do get more of a diesel smell than I was expecting, but haven't had anything to compare it with. I also get a puff of smoke when shifting at full throttle, but otherwise pretty smoke free.

I find the transmission really annoying when cold, holding higher RPMs to warm up quicker I believe? I meant to change the trans fluid, filter, and mechatronic seals before it got too cold out but never got around to it and am just waiting for it to get a little warmer. Hoping that helps firm things up while the car is still warming up. I was also waiting until I changed the fluid to get a transmission tune.

We got a bunch of snow on the east coast and I also went out to have some fun, holding the DSC button to make sure its fully off and manually selecting first or second gear. I get what feels like a throttle closure (or whatever it is on a diesel) around 2000 rpm when trying to get it sideways. RWD should be easier to get sideways but it shouldnt be a problem getting an AWD car sideways. I guess it makes sense that this could be transmission or transfer case related. If I knew XHP gets rid of that power cutting I would have bought it, but now that we probably wont get much more snow ill wait until I change the trans fluid.
Appreciate 0