XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
nhs503
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

my 2011 e70 X5 35d changed to 18"x8" wheels

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd share details and photos from my latest wheel change to my 2011 X5. It's a huge improvement in all-weather handling esp snow and ice, but also bad roads, mild off-road (camping fire roads etc).

I started with a 2011 X5 (e70) 35d Sport Premium, which initially had 20x11" wheels in the rear and 20x10" wheels in the front (staggered).

Right after I bought the car I changed the rears out for OEM 20x10" wheels and a 25mm H&R spacer to keep the outside offset the same (5x120 bolt pattern, same 74mm hub diameter). I mounted 275/45R20 Continental ExtremeContact CV06 tires all around, which was a slightly-taller than stock tire. This left very little clearance between the front hub carrier and the tire, so that I couldn't install traction chains up front. So I ran chains only on the rear because without them, the snow and ice handling with 10" wide tires simply sucked.

After several years of really bad snow and ice handling, plus getting tired of feeling all the potholes in our local roads a little too much, I started looking into a taller and narrower wheel/tire.

After lots of searching for 5x120 wheels with remotely-compatible offsets and decent looks, I settled on the Black Rhino Overland 18"x8" wheels, with Toyo OpenCountry AT III 235/65R18 tires. To keep the same outer offset with this setup as OEM sport premium offset, I needed 25mm front spacers and 40mm rear spacers. I used H&R 25mm for the front, but they don't make a compatible 40mm that I could find in the USA, so I went with a newer company, BloxSport, from eBay. I have to comment that the customer service and quality from BloxSport was absolutely superb. Strong recommendation for anyone looking for spacers.

Anyway with all these parts, I just needed (4) 74mm->76mm hubcentric rings to mount the Overlands (76mm bore) on my H&R and BloxSport spacers (both had 74mm outside bore, same as the inside bore). BloxSport fabbed these for me and they fit like a glove. Again, strong recommend.

After I got the TPMs moved over and the tires mounted and balanced by my local BMW shop (ProTek in Portland,OR) I mounted up the wheels. It looked better than I hoped and let me tell you the ride is dramatically better, and this thing is now a beast in the snow. A few trips to Mt. Hood and also rescuing multiple friends during our latest Portland snow and ice storms, this vehicle does snow better than almost anything I've seen (trucks are too light in the rear, and smaller cars don't have the clearance... only vehicle I've driven with better snow characteristics is my wife's Wrangler with Blizzaks on it).

Also, the clearance on the front hub carrier is now almost 2" and more than enough to run chains if needed (see pics).

I don't get any rubbing on the wheel wells, even at full lock in reverse, unless I also hit a bump at full lock in reverse, I can get a slight "grunt" of tire rub.

Overall couldn't be happier with this change. The improvement in ride smoothness and all-weather handling is just dramatic.

I'm linking some photos for anyone who wants to see the process in pictures. Hope they are accessible I never have good luck with forums and photos.

Any questions just ask; happy BMW'ing.

Nathan in Portland, OR

Before:
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

After:

More photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/izftuqebb...ZUhJwVZXa?dl=0
Attached Images

Last edited by nhs503; 02-23-2021 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
nhs503
Rep
Drives: e70 x5 35d

PS: if anyone knows how to change the linked images to embedded just comment here and I'll edit the original post. when I use the "image" button on the forum editor, and paste in the url, I just get a blank spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Looks great, and appreciate the write up! Normally you have to be on your computer to attach a picture where you can upload it as an attachment. Otherwise on your phone you can link a picture that’s being hosted by a website such as Imgbb. Word for the wise, upload your pictures vs using a hosting site. Too many older BMW forums are filled with DIY posts where the pictures are no longer available from the host, and therefore diagrams and DIYs are lost forever.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
Looks great, and appreciate the write up! Normally you have to be on your computer to attach a picture where you can upload it as an attachment. Otherwise on your phone you can link a picture that’s being hosted by a website such as Imgbb. Word for the wise, upload your pictures vs using a hosting site. Too many older BMW forums are filled with DIY posts where the pictures are no longer available from the host, and therefore diagrams and DIYs are lost forever.
Yes it is easy on a desktop PC
Just click on attach images and upload.
From your phone send the pics as an attachment to your email
Then open your email on the desktop and save it to desktop.
Then attach it to this forum
Long process but easier
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

You must not be on the facebook group ( North American BMW diesel Owners group)- a few of us there, including me, are on 265/60 18's. I couldn't get real chains on, but I bet I could get the cable type on just fine. I'm on style 209's, 18x8.5, on falken wilkpeak AT3W's. Very happy with my tires- I didnt want to go any thinner than the stock 255 width because I didn't want to degrade my braking performance. Happy driving!

I've been spending time offroad, so I went for the AT's.