XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Bowchow
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Can I see the tune my car supposedly has? (New owner, AW/Mugello)

Hey guys,

New owner to a 13' X5M which happens to be from the great north land of Canada. Needless to say, I'm sure the car is thankful for moving to Miami. Coming from a CL 55, I'm happy to have the extra space. I'm always on the look out for a good deal on HRE's/ADV1's, but for the short term, I'm going to do the spring/spacer route.

Love the car so far, the engine was rebuilt at 85k (97k now) to the tune of 35,000 CAD and the previous owner installed stage 2 turbos, catless DP's and supposedly a stage 2 tune.

The reason I ask, is that my CEL is on for cat related codes.. From my understanding the stage 2 tune should get rid of this.. I've tried reaching out to Quantum to no avail, and my local shop wants $1000 to install their stage 2 tune.

Another quick question, there is a noise coming from the rear over bumps like the rear strut mounts are bad. I know they are bags, but these have strut mounts of course. Has anyone replaced theirs ever?

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by Bowchow; 02-08-2021 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Nkponder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Congrats on your new car!

Not sure how to check on the tune, but there are many tunes out there for less that a grand. I have MHD on my X5, but I don't think it's available for the S63 engine.

On the noise from the rear: these X5's have an issue with the tailgate not being super tight and thus squeaking. It can be adjusted and made quiet, so I suggest doing some Googling to see if that's your issue and then how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Bowchow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkponder View Post

On the noise from the rear: these X5's have an issue with the tailgate not being super tight and thus squeaking. It can be adjusted and made quiet, so I suggest doing some Googling to see if that's your issue and then how to fix it.

Big thanks on this!! Totally fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowchow View Post
What method did you use to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodemgr View Post
Quote:
What method did you use to fix it?
Yes, I also have the rattle so curious to hear what you did.

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
Nkponder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Quote:
Quote:

Glad that fixed it! Way easier than replacing suspension components.

For the others interested, use the Google machine, "E70 squeaking tailgate" or something along that line.

There are 2 different noises from the tailgate; a squeak and a rattle. The squeak is fixed by adjusting the rubber bump stops out until they make good contact with the hatch, but not so much to prevent it from closing. The rattle is fixed by wrapping some electrical tape on the hatch tabs.

Both of these have ample write ups and videos on how to fix, Google knows all!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:24 AM   #7
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Glad that fixed it! Way easier than replacing suspension components.

For the others interested, use the Google machine, "E70 squeaking tailgate" or something along that line.

There are 2 different noises from the tailgate; a squeak and a rattle. The squeak is fixed by adjusting the rubber bump stops out until they make good contact with the hatch, but not so much to prevent it from closing. The rattle is fixed by wrapping some electrical tape on the hatch tabs.

Both of these have ample write ups and videos on how to fix, Google knows all!
Thanks, I've seen the electrical tape one and haven't tried it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
Bowchow
Rep

My issue was the hinges on the sides of the body. I kept messing with them to get them as tight (forward) as possible and still allow the tailgate to latch.

Wrapping e tape around the hinges probably does the same thing, but 2 13mm bolts are easier and a cleaner solution I feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

The dealership can see if you have a tune.

Other than that you'd have to buy a MyGenius device from a tuner so that you can upload the current map and let them look at it. By then you are 300-500$ invested as that is the going price for the handheld tuner device itself.
Appreciate 0