XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

2010 X5M Tires Life

Recently i purchased a 2010 BMW X5M with 64 K miles on it, the tires were replaced by the previous owner at 58K, the tread size was 9/11 on the front and 10/11 on Rear( Bridgestone Duler RFT)

I got another deal on CL for a set of continental conti sports SSR 5( staggered setup). The tread width on the new tire is 9/9, so it was only a few hundreds miles, I couldn't resist my temptation to purchase a backup set and end up buying the 4 tires for 600$.

I even used the tire width measurement tool and as you can see its 9/9"

I found one small cut which I think the seller didn't noticed, neither I did at the time of purchase. Can you see and tell if it should be any concern. It seems too small and is there any remedy available.

I honestly don't know when I will need these tires, am I better of selling these on Craigslist again.

Attached pics for the reference. Highlighted the cut using red square
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
As long as the damage is to the tread,...the part that wears away,..you're ok,....the tire will be ok,...as long as there is no damaged to the actual "structure" of the tire,...as in that area lower than the wear bars! It's not the tread that keeps the tire intact,...it's the structure of the tire,...that which is left after all of the tread has been worn away! That's my opinion.
      08-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

ur right, sell them soon as those rft don't last long and are prolly the cheapest OEM option, check the forums for better alternatives
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
As long as the damage is to the tread,...the part that wears away,..you're ok,....the tire will be ok,...as long as there is no damaged to the actual "structure" of the tire,...as in that area lower than the wear bars! It's not the tread that keeps the tire intact,...it's the structure of the tire,...that which is left after all of the tread has been worn away! That's my opinion.
As you could see the damage is near the part that generally wear away, I have highlighted that in the red square, other three tires are in perfectly new condition. I may have to show it to some tire shop to assess if it needs repairs. I thought the members on the forum can guide
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsailor View Post
ur right, sell them soon as those rft don't last long and are prolly the cheapest OEM option, check the forums for better alternatives
It's not easy to sell these as these are staggered and very niche . 3 other tires are 9/32" which is the new tread width of continental ssr . I read some good reviews about these tires on tire rack. I can purchase a single new front tire which would be around 300$ though I am not sure if it is actually needed . The current Bridgestone on my car are now 10 k old and still have good tread left on these . Does anyone know how many miles we can get on these staggered Bridgestone duller
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
The tire is checked by America tire and they said it's absolutely fine and they can even give me warranty for 200$ on a set of my 4 tires so it seem to be okay ... they are asking 150$ to mount these tires and rotation balancing for the lifetime
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
lol,

just make sure your new X5 is/has had a wheel alignment recently. these tend to get out of alignment quickly depending on the terrain driven.

that will cause the tires to wear prematurely on the inner tread unless you pay attention to it.

that chunk is not an issue at all in the spot its in.
      08-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonelm3-X5M View Post
lol,

just make sure your new X5 is/has had a wheel alignment recently. these tend to get out of alignment quickly depending on the terrain driven.

that will cause the tires to wear prematurely on the inner tread unless you pay attention to it.

that chunk is not an issue at all in the spot its in.
They actually checked my current tires and the wear seems to be even so alignment should be fine. They are even willing to offer the warranty on my current Bridgestone duller run flat with 8/32 on front and 9/32 in the back
Appreciate 0