XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
lchaidez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Lightbulb E70 - Self Level (AirBag) Suspension Components

Hey guys. Question.

I'm looking into getting a self-leveling air bag system for the rear end. I've seen a few X5's with the oem air bag in the rear instead of the springs. My question is pretty straight forward, hoping some of you can assist.

What components would I need to make it work with my 2011 X5 x35d? Is there a site or reference of someone installing this on an X5 that didnt have it? I've researched left and right. Maybe my search criteria isnt sufficient.

Here is what I've compiled so far.

- Left and Right rear Air Bags (instead of springs)
- Air Supply Device (Pump)
- Required plumbing, silicone, rubber hoses etc to each of the components
- Control Unit Module (aka. Computer), Fuses etc., Harnesses etc.

Am I missing anything? Aside from the obvious hardware, clamps etc? Based on my research I have yet to see or locate a "switch" or "trigger" to enable or disable this self-leveling suspension. Or is it just that? It's self leveling and the Control Unit takes care of everything automatically? I find that odd without the use of extra sensors telling the computer that the rear end has dropped. But I could be wrong! Maybe the computer has the sensor built into it.

Perhaps some of you with the 3rd row seat can shed light on the matter and how it works. Whether its a trigger/button inside the car (like the liftgate button) or essentially automatically adjusted. I've noticed a few, if not all X5's equipped with third row seats have the air bags installed.

If you're asking why am I doing this. The answer is I've towed a few things already and the life of my tires have reduced dramatically. Since BMW offered this option. I am wanting to get the package myself and install it.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Even if its resorting to going after market setup. Which I'd rather avoid to keep things OEM! But! Open to it if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

IIRC the sensor is attached to the suspension. Much like a swaybar endlink.

That said, I bet you'll be in a world of hurt to install this with all the computer gadgetry in a BMW that all talks to each other, and coded to work with each other... You are possibly breaking new ground!

Personally I think you would have been better off with an aftermarket airbag kit, like the ones used to lower a car. It would not be tied into the BMW system, and you could raise it as needed as you have more load, and lower the bags to factory like ride via a switch
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
lchaidez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
IIRC the sensor is attached to the suspension. Much like a swaybar endlink.

That said, I bet you'll be in a world of hurt to install this with all the computer gadgetry in a BMW that all talks to each other, and coded to work with each other... You are possibly breaking new ground!

Personally I think you would have been better off with an aftermarket airbag kit, like the ones used to lower a car. It would not be tied into the BMW system, and you could raise it as needed as you have more load, and lower the bags to factory like ride via a switch
Mitch808, these are super valid points on the electronic/gadget side. It should be interesting if things move forward with OEM products instead of aftermarket components. I did set myself a deadline. So if by that deadline I am still not successful in getting the list of components purchased and delivered to my house. I may end up looking towards aftermarket setups at a local BMW tuner shops.

Thanks for the input!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
I am looking to do the same thing. Right now I am stuck on the wiring to the sensors. My Adaptive Drive equipped X5 has single level sensors w/ 3 wires on both sides of the rear. To add SLS I need dual level sensors on both sides w/ 6 wires to each sensor. The single sensors can control xenon leveling and Adaptive Drive. SLS needs an independent 2nd sensor. I assume this is because the system can run when the vehicle is off. I have not seen an OEM option to order the wiring harness.

You probably will need new springs also. The air bag augments the spring so SLS springs share the weight with the airbags.

Other than finding an OEM wiring harness the install may not be difficult. It looks like only 2 wires hook the SLS system to the rest of the X5. I got my best info from the attached PDF.

If you find a good aftermarket option please let us know. We want to tow the boat to the keys this winter.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 04c_E70 Vertical Dynamics Systems SLS.pdf (1.47 MB, 1729 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Smassesy, old thread, but I have AD with 3rd row and SLS. I have the dual level sensors, but I can't find the part number for the harness anywhere on realoem. You may have to ask a parts guy at bmw
      08-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Smassesy, old thread, but I have AD with 3rd row and SLS. I have the dual level sensors, but I can't find the part number for the harness anywhere on realoem. You may have to ask a parts guy at bmw
BD thanks for the response. I am in between boats right now so this project is on the back burner. My rear springs are shot after towing 400 lbs of tongue weight. 4 bikes on the bike rack can overload them now.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I think the simple solution is to just buy the rear airbags and hook them up to a universal pump kit like AirLift's:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/25490/

Or this kit if you wish to manually control the pressures

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/25870/

Last edited by socale39; 08-19-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0