XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Active Autowerke X5M tune = Velos X5M tune?

In the process of comparing various X5M tunes, I started comparing dyno graphs. The two graphs below are pulled from AA's website and Velos' website (and postings) here.

AA -

Velos -

Anyone notice anything? The chart scaling is slightly different between the two, but it's clear that they are the exact same.

I'm just curious as to why they're the same. Is there one canned X5M tune that AA and Velos have each purchased from a tuner and are each distributing under their own company heading and flash loading tool? I've done a lot of dyno pulls on multiple vehicles - even run to run, there's still minor variances in the shape of the curve. These separate pulls (at different locations in Miami and presumably at different times in different weather conditions) are virtually identical.

Very odd.

Omar, Andrew, care to comment?

ps. It's amazing how lean the OEM tune is until 5k RPM. That's odd as pulling fuel out usually results in more power, but here the AA/Velos tune is adding fuel early on (and adding boost and ign. advance) while still achieving a fair bit more power.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I actually wondered that too since Omar used to work for AA.
Their handheld unit (re-labeled Dimsport's unit), flash drive and cables are exactly same as well.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

The communication device, is used across the industry (we use them for Mercedes,Audi,Porsche as well). Files, etc are different and have nothing to do with one another. On the chart noted above the curve looks similar but the point of reference chosen for the "peak gains" is what is closer on our chart. Can't speak for the chart above but I assume the same. No the files are not the same. You can also see the run files are different. Weird though... but not out of the norm.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

^Hey Omar, thanks for chiming in. The flashloader unit is just that - a flashloader. That will have no effect on the tune itself. The shapes of the two curves though are just too similar to be coincidence. Or, maybe it's the same run data printed out on the two different dyno's (ie. your tune on both?? )

All good, not stirring anything up in the slightest. I was just wondering because I've never seen two companies post near identical graphs from two different tuners.

I assume the flashtool has no ability to datalog - does a datalogger exist? It doesn't look like the BT cable has compatibility beyond '09 E70's.
Appreciate 0