XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
ncmoore12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
X5 M, EDC Button

Hello all,

I am new to this 2013 X5 M and my roommate and I were trying to figure out the EDC (Electronic Damping Control). When the button is pressed (Light Green) what does it do? Are you effectively riding in a sportier suspension setup (increasing/decreasing dampening for better handling, compromising on comfort)? Just curious and can't seem to find any more information on it. Also how much does everyone use it? I think it rides smoother with it off (no depressed), but still can't tell.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoore12 View Post
Hello all,

I am new to this 2013 X5 M and my roommate and I were trying to figure out the EDC (Electronic Damping Control). When the button is pressed (Light Green) what does it do? Are you effectively riding in a sportier suspension setup (increasing/decreasing dampening for better handling, compromising on comfort)? Just curious and can't seem to find any more information on it. Also how much does everyone use it? I think it rides smoother with it off (no depressed), but still can't tell.

Thanks!
Lazy Link
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
ncmoore12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post

"What type of steering system is used in the E70 X5 M?
Like all E70 X5 models, the X5 M utilizes a rack-and-pinion steering system with an overall ratio of 19.5:1 and Servotronic variable power assistance, which constantly varies the amount of assist based on vehicle speed. However, the Servotronic system has been specifically tuned by BMW M. In addition, two different parameters for the overall level of assist are offered and these are linked to the Electronic Damping Control (EDC) modes: Greater steering assistance is given in EDC Normal mode and less steering assistance is provided in EDC Sport mode. (These settings can also be programmed as an MDrive preference.)" - Quote from link above, thanks DeeO, I read this before but I think I forgot about it.

So it really affects the steering and I assume the button being depressed is the EDC Sport mode then.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmoore12 View Post
"What type of steering system is used in the E70 X5 M?
Like all E70 X5 models, the X5 M utilizes a rack-and-pinion steering system with an overall ratio of 19.5:1 and Servotronic variable power assistance, which constantly varies the amount of assist based on vehicle speed. However, the Servotronic system has been specifically tuned by BMW M. In addition, two different parameters for the overall level of assist are offered and these are linked to the Electronic Damping Control (EDC) modes: Greater steering assistance is given in EDC Normal mode and less steering assistance is provided in EDC Sport mode. (These settings can also be programmed as an MDrive preference.)" - Quote from link above, thanks DeeO, I read this before but I think I forgot about it.

So it really affects the steering and I assume the button being depressed is the EDC Sport mode then.

Steering as well as suspension.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

The effect of EDC was was noticeable for me when driving on the highway with that has twists. Also after driving the X5M for a month straight then going to my analog Z3M.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Here is a general summary of EDC technology
from BMW (below)...as well as a video found by typing "BMW EDC YouTube":

Electronic Damper Control (EDC) automatically or manually adjusts each damper to suit the driving conditions meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety. EDC reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying or the state of the road's surface.

Sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension. Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum.

In addition to increased driving comfort and improved roll characteristics on the tyres, EDC also contributes to vehicle stability and safety. By reducing the nose's tendency to dip when braking and improving the tyre traction, EDC shortens the braking distance when braking heavily. The damper adjustment means that even when braking with ABS the vehicle chassis remains upright on the road and all four wheels have the largest possible contact to the surface.

The Driving Experience Control switch with ECO PRO lets the driver choose between various programs (like COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT or SPORT+) and adjust the suspension to suit his individual needs.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-18-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

when you turn on EDC car feels less like a whale in short..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
ncmoore12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Thanks for all the responses!
Appreciate 0