XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

For those wanting a true AS tire

I know a lot of X5 owners who have scrapped the RFT and are seeking a good A/S tire. For the 20" sport owners there's very few options. The Conti DWS seem to be a favorite among the forums. Well the new Michelin AS3's have arrived and from all the reviews i've read and from personally driving on them in a car, they are an all season tire with the handling of a summer tire on dry roads. From the tests so far, the AS3's beat the DWS dry braking distance on wet roads. So here's the catch, they don't make the AS3's in the 275/40/20 and 315/35/20 sized for the X5. However, I wrote to Michelin and explained the need for more options in a AS tire for the X5. Michelin replied and said that if the market shows a need for those sizes they could possibly start producing them. So I'm asking all those who would like to seem them on the X5 please take a few minutes and explain why they should. Thanks in advance!

Contact Michelin:

http://www.michelinman.com/contact-us.page

Here's the tire:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ails#techspecs
      10-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
i just sent an email also!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

wont these just be slightly better than the DWS at twice the price??
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

The conti's don't handle like a summer tire, where the AS3's are handling as good if not better than the PS2's on dry roads. Then the AS3's blow away the PS2's on wet roads. There's only a couple hundred dollar price difference right now.
      10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Why compromise with an all season tire year round. Keep the high performance summer tire and pick up snows if you need them. I know some of you dont need dedicated snows, but personally I would not want an all season tire instead of a dedicated summer performance tire in the summer.
      10-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta is the warm weather tire you want if you aren't going to track it - great dry performance, even better wet performance, and at just over $800 a set for a staggered setup they are just what the doctor ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
Why compromise with an all season tire year round. Keep the high performance summer tire and pick up snows if you need them.
In some places, like Pacific Northwest, it rains most of the year, 40F half a year.
Summer tires fail at such low temperatures, and winter tires are too noisy. Not to mention there's no snow.

So, all seasons make sense. People here drive around on all seasons for 2-4 years straight. I personally do not know a single person who switches tires between snow and summer.

I recently put 18" Continental DWS. Extremely happy with them. Zero hydroplanning on wet roads (unlike the Bridgestone RFTs), and we here in Seattle know what wet roads are.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
In some places, like Pacific Northwest, it rains most of the year, 40F half a year.
Summer tires fail at such low temperatures, and winter tires are too noisy. Not to mention there's no snow.

So, all seasons make sense. People here drive around on all seasons for 2-4 years straight. I personally do not know a single person who switches tires between snow and summer.

I recently put 18" Continental DWS. Extremely happy with them. Zero hydroplanning on wet roads (unlike the Bridgestone RFTs), and we here in Seattle know what wet roads are.
Well you dont know me personally, but I do it on all my vehicles, even my X5m. Last year we had 37" of snow in 1 storm....no way all seasons would get through that. Even with the usual 6-12" of snow here in 1 storm, you would not want AS tires on an x5m. In your area where all you get is rain, its a different story, although most people use all season where you may get light occasional snow. I've never considered an AS for rain, really? Get a tire made for dry/wet and you'll be fine.
      10-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Well you dont know me personally, but I do it on all my vehicles, even my X5m. Last year we had 37" of snow in 1 storm....no way all seasons would get through that. Even with the usual 6-12" of snow here in 1 storm, you would not want AS tires on an x5m.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say I don't know a single person in *Pacific Northwest* who changes tires. If I lived on E.Coast, yeah, gotta have winter tires.

Quote:
In your area where all you get is rain, its a different story, although most people use all season where you may get light occasional snow. I've never considered an AS for rain, really? Get a tire made for dry/wet and you'll be fine
Well, Continental DWS advertize themselves as "dry-wet-snow". Of course, the snow part will in now way match a winter tire. However, in dry and wet that I was able to test - these are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say I don't know a single person in *Pacific Northwest* who changes tires. If I lived on E.Coast, yeah, gotta have winter tires.

Well, Continental DWS advertize themselves as "dry-wet-snow". Of course, the snow part will in now way match a winter tire. However, in dry and wet that I was able to test - these are excellent.
I have used the DWS in snow just north of you, they are great in the snow. I agree with your tire selection, because tires are wet/dry doesn't mean they will be good at near freezing temps.
      10-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I have used the DWS in snow just north of you, they are great in the snow. I agree with your tire selection, because tires are wet/dry doesn't mean they will be good at near freezing temps.
Thanks. Have you had a chance to compare the Conti DWS to real snow tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
I change my wheels up on nearly all of my vehicles from winter to summer. Being in the PNW, I actually run All Seasons in the winter, and Performance/Summer tires March through November.

I'm currently looking for a good all season tire/wheel combo for the X5 actually.

That said, I was pretty happy with how the 20" RFT Bridgestones did when I hit a mountain snow storm on Thursday in Montana. not bad at all for a summer tire (I was very cautious though.)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Thanks. Have you had a chance to compare the Conti DWS to real snow tires?
No the winters go on tomorrow and we don't have snow yet.
      10-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
DBB53
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have had good experience with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
minnmarker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 xDrive35i, 2003 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
Talking from Minnesota - and we have snow here and it lasts from November through March. Plus I've lived in Vermont and Breckenridge Colorado. A bit of experience driving in snow... I've run winter tires on rear drive sedans in the past. They needed them. The Conti DWS are great all season tires for an SUV and they do very well in the snow. Dedicated Winter tires are too soft. They don't last long and have bad dry pavement performance (even when its cold).

Of course, the M3 has Pilot Sport high performance Summer tires - but it gets parked in the Winter!
Appreciate 0