XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
chowman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

E70 Interior Lights and Visual Door Lock/Unlock Not Working

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2013 X5 (E70) in Carbon Black, its the so called Exclusive/Ltd Edition (I think it just has a few upgrades like 20" alloys, M Sport steering wheel and better headlights), but am having two issues.

1. The interior lights that should come on when you enter the car, and when you turn the engine off do not work. In the overhead unit, the map lights work, but the centre dome light does not, it doesn't come on automatically or if the button is pressed. Same goes for the rear dome lights (again map lights work with their respective switches) or lights under the dash that light up footwells. I have tried a few things:
* Holding down the centre light button
* Inspecting the relevant fuses (2, 19, 23, 96, 114) - none are blown

2. When I navigate on iDrive to Settings>Doors>Visual Door/Unlock, the box is not ticked, but I am pressing does not select it, it does not appear greyed out, just can't select it, I imagine this setting flashes the hazard lights when you lock/unlock, which would be nice to have.

Any ideas what might be causing these issues?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

My e39 had very similar symptoms after the battery completely died. The car had slipped into something called “transport mode”. A quick trip to my mechanic and he was able to use one of the software programs to clear it. A dealer can do the same. I would have that checked 1st
      07-16-2021, 02:04 AM   #3
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
My e39 had very similar symptoms after the battery completely died. The car had slipped into something called "transport mode". A quick trip to my mechanic and he was able to use one of the software programs to clear it. A dealer can do the same. I would have that checked 1st
Crap. I think that's what happened. Both key fobs stopped working after battery died. Is it possible to do without dealer/shop?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

If you have a tool like Bimmergeek Protool, ISTA, Autologic, etc… you can do it yourself. If you don’t, you’ll have to go to a shop. It takes just a few minutes to do so it’s really not a big deal. I can totally see the stealership trying to charge a full hour of labor for it tho haha
      12-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
BeammeupX5e7040Dx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 E70 40Dx

Hi Chowman

Did you ever get the issue fixed as I now have the same problem that (When I navigate on iDrive to Settings>Doors>Visual Door/Unlock, the box is not ticked, but I am pressing does not select it, it does not appear greyed out, just can't select it, I imagine this setting flashes the hazard lights when you lock/unlock), which would be nice to have.
When I use Protool the Transport Mode is off so I dunno how to fix it. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Appreciate 0