XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

Help Needed: active suspension fault 006273-2011 X5 E70

Hello all,
Hoping to get a little help here--I've searched this and other BMW forums, no conclusive answers yet. Some of the responses on other threads/forums deal with air suspension, but pretty sure my 2011 does not have air suspension.

Today while returning home to Austin from Houston, I stopped 90 miles in for a bathroom break, and as I hit the brakes firmly and placed in P to shut off, the Dynamic Drive error popped upon my dash screen, first time ever.

:-(

Car is a 2011 X5 35i with 92,000 miles.

I thought it odd that the firm stop and into P triggered this warning.

Multiple power cycles will not re-set the dash warning--it persists.

Got home to my garage and came to a stop again and placed the car into P--this again triggered a fresh Dynamic Drive Malfunction warning, even though it was already showing on the top line of the iDrive display as an active fault.

So, it seems stopping and possibly putting into Park is triggering this.

I did a cursory search and found a few hints, re: battery condition and power steering fluid--both are OK. Battery is a recent install and power steering reservoir is full.

I connected Carly and pulled a single code:

006273. The Carly code readout also provided the following info:

"Predrive Check: FS Okay, VA and RA valve is energized open."

That's it.

By the way, clearing the code in Carly did nothing--the warning remains visible in the iDrive display.

Can ANYBODY provide a clue to where I can begin to trouble shoot this issue?

Funny story--as I headed home today, I stopped in Houston at a BMW dealer to explore trading this 2011 X5 for a newer 2020 X5! I should have traded it then and there!!! ARRGGHH!!

Any help appreciated and thank you,
Greg
Austin TX
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Hello all,
Hoping to get a little help here--I've searched this and other BMW forums, no conclusive answers yet. Some of the responses on other threads/forums deal with air suspension, but pretty sure my 2011 does not have air suspension.

Today while returning home to Austin from Houston, I stopped 90 miles in for a bathroom break, and as I hit the brakes firmly and placed in P to shut off, the Dynamic Drive error popped upon my dash screen, first time ever.

:-(

Car is a 2011 X5 35i with 92,000 miles.

I thought it odd that the firm stop and into P triggered this warning.

Multiple power cycles will not re-set the dash warning--it persists.

Got home to my garage and came to a stop again and placed the car into P--this again triggered a fresh Dynamic Drive Malfunction warning, even though it was already showing on the top line of the iDrive display as an active fault.

So, it seems stopping and possibly putting into Park is triggering this.

I did a cursory search and found a few hints, re: battery condition and power steering fluid--both are OK. Battery is a recent install and power steering reservoir is full.

I connected Carly and pulled a single code:

006273. The Carly code readout also provided the following info:

"Predrive Check: FS Okay, VA and RA valve is energized open."

That's it.

By the way, clearing the code in Carly did nothing--the warning remains visible in the iDrive display.

Can ANYBODY provide a clue to where I can begin to trouble shoot this issue?

Funny story--as I headed home today, I stopped in Houston at a BMW dealer to explore trading this 2011 X5 for a newer 2020 X5! I should have traded it then and there!!! ARRGGHH!!

Any help appreciated and thank you,
Greg
Austin TX
Best guess would be the valvebody for the dynamic drive, this is what controls the hydraulic motors in your front and rear sway bars. ISTA has extensive testing and reset procedures for it. I Would recommend you grab a decent laptop & D-CAN cable, load up ISTA, drain and refill your power steering fluid, then run the bleed procedure & reset calibration and hopefully you will get lucky and not have to replace the dynamic drive valve body. If you do need a replacement, you can get them up in Ebay for around 150.

Side note, your ride gets to "dance" when you re calibrate it:

video says air but its the dynamic calibration
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

Thank you---just now seeing your response for some reason! I did get ISTA+ on my laptop and tried to run tests, was very buggy and unable to secure any info from that. So--I took it to a local independent BMW service shop. They heard my power steering pump making noises, and deduced that it was sending debris down the hydraulic line to the DD valve body, ruining it. So, after a month of waiting, my new tandem power steering pump has arrived, I I found a used DD valve body off a low-mile X5, and bringing it all in to the shop Thursday. It ain't cheap, but will make the car right. After it's done, I'm selling it and looking for a newer X5---G05 2020-2021 model year--!

By the way, I have a 3rd party warranty that did cover a failed transfer case, discovered on the same shop visit. The warranty covered that repair, thank God! $6k parts/laobr. Sounds excessive but I didn't argue it because warranty covered it..
Appreciate 0