XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Any deleted diesels around Philadelphia?

Anyone in the Philly area with a fully deleted diesel that would be willing to meet up to help me decide if I want to go down that road?

I just bought a 2012 xdrive35d but still trying to figure out how to pick it up since all the DMVs are closed down.

Anyway I am bored in quarantine and trying to figure out what route to take before even getting my hands on the car. I definitely want to tune it and get rid of EGR as it seems like that increases reliability. Just need to decide if I want to go all out by getting rid of DPF/SCR but just want to check out increased noise and/or smell. If someone has a fully deleted car in the area I would love to meet up to check it out if possible to help me decide which route to take.

Thanks
Will
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Anyone in the Philly area with a fully deleted diesel that would be willing to meet up to help me decide if I want to go down that road?

I just bought a 2012 xdrive35d but still trying to figure out how to pick it up since all the DMVs are closed down.

Anyway I am bored in quarantine and trying to figure out what route to take before even getting my hands on the car. I definitely want to tune it and get rid of EGR as it seems like that increases reliability. Just need to decide if I want to go all out by getting rid of DPF/SCR but just want to check out increased noise and/or smell. If someone has a fully deleted car in the area I would love to meet up to check it out if possible to help me decide which route to take.

Thanks
Will
Well. For what it's worth I have a deleted 335d (same engine) w/ 3" straight pipe w/ carven r resonators and I don't mind the smell at all. The noise doesn't get loud till about 2500 rpm, and the drone is bearable on the highway. Now the x5d is gear differently than my 335d meaning high rpm on the highway so you might get drone highway cruising with the same setup.

To keep drone down, keep the stock muffler in place and it'll be stealthy.

If the smell of diesel bothers you, you can go with a catted downpipe which seems to cut down on smell quite a bit (I say that because I have no experience with a catted dp since mine is non catted, but many say it helps quite a bit)
      04-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response. I suspect the smell wont bother me at all but may bother non car enthusiast passengers. I'd definitely leave the mufflers on and saw that some of the deletes offer a Catted option. I'm still working my way through all the various threads on these matters but one concern would be the cat clogging up and having no regen cycle to clean it out. Not sure this is even a valid concern... I guess if I didn't do a full delete I would look into a software delete for SCR while maybe keeping the DPF enabled? (I still have a lot of reading to do)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Juno01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I have 335d and x35d. The x35d has the stock doc and the 335d has an aftermarket one. The stock doc is much better in terms of smell.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

For the sake of serviceability, I choose the aftermarket DOC all day over a tiny bit better smell.
      04-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno01 View Post
I have 335d and x35d. The x35d has the stock doc and the 335d has an aftermarket one. The stock doc is much better in terms of smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
For the sake of serviceability, I choose the aftermarket DOC all day over a tiny bit better smell.
Thank you both for the input. At this point i'm probably leaning towards an aftermarket DOC at some point. I'd like to get the car to be as reliable as possible and can handle a little smell for sure. This way I also keep the stock parts to revert back if I ever wanted to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
Dollma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x5d

2011 X5d deleted with rawtek cat included midpipe with stock exhaust. Had the engine tuned too. I have the vehicle going on a year now and did delete about 4 months ago. Had a independent do the work. I can not tell much if any difference I smell from before I did change it all. Love to drive it!!! What I can say is I think I have as much money in deletes and time and ramifications from it as I do the car ! Wow lol. That being said I do love it! Extra expenses are from extra power blew a couple gaskets from pressure when I first drive it so back in shop it went. So really since Covid hot I have not driven it to awful much with setup but I really enjoy it when I get a chance!!worth the money idk? Future cost hope it stays at bay for a bit I'm way out of budget for what I thought. But I always wanted a 350+ hp car 500+ torque. I think those numbers are right and it is sure fun if I can enjoy it at least five years no more major expenses except maybe tires I will call it a big win! I'll wait to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I'd be happy to show you if I'm ever in the phyla area or you'd like to meet me halfway in jersey. How far away is jackson, NJ from you? I'd just go for a run after taking you for a ride/ letting you drive my 35d. I'm deleted fully and tuned. Love it. I'm in northern NJ.

If you're going to go with an aftermarket DOC, my vote is to just skip the DOC altogether. The only times you smell anything is at lights when the windows are down, or when you start up and back up a bit. The DOC MIGHT help a bit in the first situation, but won't help one bit at startup, when you'll mostly notice it anyway.

Overall, I think i probably smell diesel smell about 40-50% more often than when it was stock... but that was barely ever to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. The single only time I mind it is when I'm hitching my trailer in the dark and I have to put my face in the exhaust to hitch it up, but I just go turn the thing off if it'll take more than a few seconds.
      05-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollma View Post
2011 X5d deleted with rawtek cat included midpipe with stock exhaust. Had the engine tuned too. I have the vehicle going on a year now and did delete about 4 months ago. Had a independent do the work. I can not tell much if any difference I smell from before I did change it all. Love to drive it!!! What I can say is I think I have as much money in deletes and time and ramifications from it as I do the car ! Wow lol. That being said I do love it! Extra expenses are from extra power blew a couple gaskets from pressure when I first drive it so back in shop it went. So really since Covid hot I have not driven it to awful much with setup but I really enjoy it when I get a chance!!worth the money idk? Future cost hope it stays at bay for a bit I'm way out of budget for what I thought. But I always wanted a 350+ hp car 500+ torque. I think those numbers are right and it is sure fun if I can enjoy it at least five years no more major expenses except maybe tires I will call it a big win! I'll wait to see.
I'm in the same boat as you, pretty much hoping the deletes and tune are preventative maintenance. I guess this depends how aggressive a tune you go with though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I'd be happy to show you if I'm ever in the phyla area or you'd like to meet me halfway in jersey. How far away is jackson, NJ from you? I'd just go for a run after taking you for a ride/ letting you drive my 35d. I'm deleted fully and tuned. Love it. I'm in northern NJ.

If you're going to go with an aftermarket DOC, my vote is to just skip the DOC altogether. The only times you smell anything is at lights when the windows are down, or when you start up and back up a bit. The DOC MIGHT help a bit in the first situation, but won't help one bit at startup, when you'll mostly notice it anyway.

Overall, I think i probably smell diesel smell about 40-50% more often than when it was stock... but that was barely ever to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. The single only time I mind it is when I'm hitching my trailer in the dark and I have to put my face in the exhaust to hitch it up, but I just go turn the thing off if it'll take more than a few seconds.
That would be amazing. I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0