XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

2013 E70 X5 3.5i with no paddle shifters -> paddle shifters?

I have a 3.5i with a good amount of options, but not the sport package or paddle shifters. I have been missing my paddle shifters from all previous cars I have driven and with the wight of the steering in this car it would be very convenient to have the shifters on the steering wheel instead of using the stalk.

Is it possible to retrofit a steering wheel with shifters? (maybe the entire assembly from an x5m?)

This has pretty much been my only complaint with the truck (well i guess i also wish it had all the new technology bells and whistles of the 2014s but oh well).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
NORCAL BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i M-Sport

I am also interested. Is it PNP or will it requiring coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
I have a 3.5i with a good amount of options, but not the sport package or paddle shifters. I have been missing my paddle shifters from all previous cars I have driven and with the wight of the steering in this car it would be very convenient to have the shifters on the steering wheel instead of using the stalk.

Is it possible to retrofit a steering wheel with shifters? (maybe the entire assembly from an x5m?)

This has pretty much been my only complaint with the truck (well i guess i also wish it had all the new technology bells and whistles of the 2014s but oh well).
I researched this quite a bit before buying an X5M wheel with paddles myself. I have never seen anybody retrofit the paddles - not saying it's not possible but everybody I've seen on here just bought a new steering wheel that already had paddles. I regards to compatibility...

X5D - won't work, even with the Sport Package. There are several members here who did this swap and the paddles didn't work, even after coding attempts.

35i or 50i - there are members here who have done this swap and the paddles worked, however all of them had the Sport or M Sport package. It might work if you have the Base or Premium trim 35i, but I couldn't say as I've never seen a member do this swap and post results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCAL BMW View Post
I am also interested. Is it PNP or will it requiring coding?
PNP yes...no coding. You are good to go since you have the M Sport. You must have an earlier build 2012 like me as it doesn't sound like you have paddles. Later 2012's got them.

I was lucky to find a new X5M wheel on this forum but in general they are really hard to find. I come from the E46 and you can find M3 wheels everywhere - new, used, etc.

My only small complaint about the paddles....mated w/ the 8 speed auto in the LCI gas models, it's just constant shifting. Too much so IMO. I see these being more fun on the X5M with the 6 speed auto. Still a nice upgrade - some minor changes to the button configuration though they all still work, and you get the M tri-stitching which looks sharp.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Whats up fellas!

I can tell you that its NOT going to work... Read this article on Xoutpost this member did a lot research and it seems it gets down to the circuit board and all these other technical parts that are not compatible.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...s-non-m-3.html

There is also BurgerTuning that gave it shot and well it didn't work either:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-related-...rofit-e70.html
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70sportmia View Post
Whats up fellas!

I can tell you that its NOT going to work... Read this article on Xoutpost this member did a lot research and it seems it gets down to the circuit board and all these other technical parts that are not compatible.

All of the people posting in these threads you linked to appear to have pre-LCI X5's...the 2nd link is from 2009 before the LCI ever came out. It's pretty well documented that paddles don't work on any pre-LCI X5, regardless of model or packages.

Burrito007 above has a 2013...so the only question now is, will they work on a 35i or 50i that doesn't have the Sport Package? Not sure on that. They most definitely will work on a 35i and 50i with Sport or M Sport as there are many members here who have verified it, myself included.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

Off topic I know, but why? As in, why do you want them? As someone said, with the 8 speeds, it's just too much shifting to deal with. Also, it's a big heavy hulking SUV. I have them, used them once, and wasn't even mildly entertained. You're not missing out on anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
NORCAL BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i M-Sport

Thanks Jiggz for all the helpful information.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

One more question about the steering wheel swapping
Does the heating option with work in 2012 Msport package ?
Anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Off topic again, but thought I would add that when you put the gear selector in S mode (to the left) it won't allow the trans to go past 6th gear I believe in most situations. Therefore, the paddle shifting isn't through all 8 gears.

Not sure why, but I still find myself using the gear selector instead of the paddles most of the time anyway. Old habit of rowing a manual I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
Off topic again, but thought I would add that when you put the gear selector in S mode (to the left) it won't allow the trans to go past 6th gear I believe in most situations. Therefore, the paddle shifting isn't through all 8 gears.

Not sure why, but I still find myself using the gear selector instead of the paddles most of the time anyway. Old habit of rowing a manual I guess.
My paddles work up to the 8th gear (M8 on the dash) after a steering wheel swap. You just have to be going fast enough before it will allow you to get to those upper gears. For 8th you probably need to be going at least 40-50? On my first test drive after the swap I did notice what you were saying…I just sped up a bit at it then allowed me to get the 7th, 8th…

And as I recall it's not just 8th gear…for example if you're going 20 MPH or so, it won't let you shift into, say, 6th or higher…until you gain more speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep

I have an 2012 x5 50i M-Sport just did the conversion but I can't find any harness to plug the paddles !! Anyone attemp this already and have an idea on how to do this thanks in advance
      12-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Off topic I know, but why? As in, why do you want them? As someone said, with the 8 speeds, it's just too much shifting to deal with. Also, it's a big heavy hulking SUV. I have them, used them once, and wasn't even mildly entertained. You're not missing out on anything.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70sportmia View Post
Whats up fellas!

Not true. Mine works fine. 4/11 build with sport package. The wires were already run to the szl module. Plugged in the steering and it worked without coding.
      12-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoferoz25 View Post
I have an 2012 x5 50i M-Sport just did the conversion but I can't find any harness to plug the paddles !! Anyone attemp this already and have an idea on how to do this thanks in advance
All you have to do is change your steering switch cluster to one that has the connection for the paddles. And you have to make sure your paddles are resistance based. I promised a DIY but I was working on the heated steering as you already know. Post a pic of your steering and I will guide you. Your 2012 x50 is almost certainly prewired.
      12-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep

There u go Brother thanks
      12-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep