XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

06-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #661
Efini
Silent Service
Rep
Drives: BMW

hope its a long series.

GO KINGS GO!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #662
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini View Post
hope its a long series.

GO KINGS GO!!!
wrong thread bro haha
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #663
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
wrong thread bro haha
Maybe he's rooting for LeBron?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #664
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #665
Efini
Silent Service
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
good one!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #666
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Spurs win game 1, Heat win game 2 and 3, and 4.

I'm undecided about game 5.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #667
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

alright, fuck it.. ima say it

Spurs in 7
if Tony Parker plays the whole series...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #668
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

spurs in 6 without parker playing
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #669
Bomex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 N55

Spurs should take this time. This year the heat are not as good as last year because of the aging role players.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #670
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomex View Post
Spurs should take this time. This year the heat are not as good as last year because of the aging role players.
Not sure where you're getting that. Battier may be old (already announced his retirement), but he has not been playing that much anyway, Rashard Lewis is hot, Ray Allen is, well, Ray Allen, Birdman has been great so far, DWade is healthy this year (unlike last year), and shooting a career high in field goal percentage, and Bosh has a 3-point shot he didn't have last year.

I personally think it could go either way though. Don't really know what to expect, but I think it will be Heat in 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #671
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Heat in 5 or 6. The heat are much better then last year, Spurs are not.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #672
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I'm gonna say Heat in 6. Spurs will let Miami and Bosh shoot all the 3's they want, in fact they will dare them to beat them that way, and Pop will try to confuse Lebron by giving him a ton of different looks and daring him to shoot the midrange (a much less efficient shot) it will be tough, Miami will have to be in constant attack and will have to figure games out quickly, if Lebron hesitates... so does the Heat. But Lebron showed last year that he will figure it out and in fact he did, he got better as the series went on, also Lebron started taking and making those midrange jumpers last year. Wade is also healthier and not only he will be much better in offense but what's more important to me is that he is also an elite perimeter defender when he is healthy.
MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN!
      06-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #673
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

The advanced metrics give the Spurs an overwhelming chance of winning this series. That's why Vegas actually favors the Spurs over the Heat at the moment. The Spurs are the stronger team on paper, but obviously paper doesn't win games. On paper, Miami is a slightly worse team than last year and the Spurs are a vastly better team.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #674
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Gonna go with Spurs in 6. They had it last year but choked it away. Think they are due this year.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #675
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

heat in 6

game 1 - miami wins

game 2 - spurs take it

games 3 & 4 - miami wins

game 5 - spurs

game 6 - miami be comes a 3peat champion
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #676
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSprm69 View Post
heat in 6

game 1 - miami wins

game 2 - spurs take it

games 3 & 4 - miami wins

game 5 - spurs

That's exactly what I'm thinking/hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #677
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Gotta go Spurs in 6.... So far I've been right (Predicted Spurs in 6 and Heat in 6 in conference finals lol)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #678
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSprm69
heat in 6

game 1 - miami wins

game 2 - spurs take it

games 3 & 4 - miami wins

game 5 - spurs

I like your style! (no homo, just in case) lol
      06-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #679
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
The advanced metrics give the Spurs an overwhelming chance of winning this series. That's why Vegas actually favors the Spurs over the Heat at the moment. The Spurs are the stronger team on paper, but obviously paper doesn't win games. On paper, Miami is a slightly worse team than last year and the Spurs are a vastly better team.
Those same advance metrics say this years Heat offense is the most efficient in the history of the league!... not sure this Heat team is weaker than last years or if they just took it lighter during the regular season, we'll see, the Spurs are a great team tho and no doubt better than last year
      06-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #680
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Those same advance metrics say this years Heat offense is the most efficient in the history of the league!... not sure this Heat team is weaker than last years or if they just took it lighter during the regular season, we'll see, the Spurs are a great team tho and no doubt better than last year
You're right, but they also say that the Heat's defense has slipped quite dramatically. That's the key factor here.

The Heat's offense is superb. Frankly speaking both teams are probably the best passing teams in basketball. They know how to move the ball.

Here's the insider article for anyone interested:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All signs point to a Spurs title

Analyzing three decades' worth of Finals trends to anticipate winner.

Regression analysis shows one team is significantly favored heading into the NBA Finals.

The Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs have reached the NBA Finals, setting up a rematch of last year's classic seven-game battle. With four days between the conclusion of the conference finals and Game 1, now comes the real fun: predicting the outcome.

Predicting the NBA Finals is somewhat different from other playoff series. First, there's more playoff data available -- three full rounds against a variety of opponents, giving a better idea of who's playing better right now. Second, because the teams have played each other just twice during the regular season, there's less head-to-head data to determine whether the matchup is good or bad.

So what has really mattered when picking the winner of past Finals? And what does that say about this year's series? Let's take a look.

Matters: Regular-Season Records

Ordinarily, statistical projections will start with point differential. But when it comes to the NBA Finals, during the past three decades, records have matched up better with results than differential.

When the two teams were separated by three games or fewer during the regular season, teams with home-court advantage have actually been more likely to get upset than win the series, going 4-5. But when they won at least six more games during the regular season, they've gone a dominant 16-2, with 1995 (Houston over Orlando) and 2006 (Miami over Dallas) the lone exceptions. That's bad news for the Heat, who finished eight games behind the Spurs in the standings.

Doesn't Matter: Head-to-Head Results

Against conference foes, there is predictive value to the regular-season series between the two teams -- especially in the opening round. That doesn't carry over to the NBA Finals. Two games simply aren't enough to tell us much about how the teams match up.

Half of the past 30 Finalists have split the season series, as Miami and San Antonio did this season. Though nine of the other 15 Finals were won by the team that swept the season series, that doesn't provide much new information because most of those teams had home-court advantage. The lower-seeded team has gone on to win the Finals just once out of the four times it swept in the regular season.

Matters:
Playoff Performance

It pays to be hot going into the Finals. When the lower-seeded team had a better point differential during the first three rounds of the playoffs, adjusted for schedule, the series is nearly a toss-up -- the favorites win 57.1 percent of the time (8-6). When the team with home court also has performed better during the playoffs, however, they're a dominant 14-2 (87.5 percent), with 1998 (Chicago over Utah, when the two teams were nearly even leading up to the Finals) and 2006 (Miami over Dallas, again) the exceptions.

The Heat (plus-7.0) and Spurs (plus-8.0) had similar average margins en route to the Finals. However, San Antonio played a much more difficult schedule in the competitive West. So San Antonio's adjusted differential of plus-11.6 points per game is much better than Miami's plus-8.1 mark.

Doesn't Matter: Games Played

Because the Spurs went a full seven games in the first round, the Heat have played three fewer games in the postseason. Turns out that extra rest is not a factor in why playoff performance to date matters in the Finals. In fact, favorites who have played more games (like San Antonio) have actually tended to perform slightly better than expected, possibly because it means they've faced more challenging opposition.

Matters:
Defensive Rating

Yes, defense wins championships -- as long as it is paired with a good-enough offense to get to the Finals. The team with the better defensive rating during the regular season has won 19 out of the past 30 Finals, a figure that substantially understates its importance. See, offense-first teams are more likely to have home court in the Finals. When the better defensive team also has home-court advantage, it has won 86.7 percent of the time (13-2). And better defensive teams have frequently pulled upsets without home court, going 6-9 (40 percent) in those series.

Again, the importance of defense favors the Spurs. They were the better defense in the regular season, ranking fourth in points allowed per 100 possessions; Miami finished 11th. The Heat would be the first team to win the championship while finishing outside the league's top 10 defenses since the 2001 Lakers (21st).

Unlike those Lakers, Miami hasn't yet shown the ability to turn on its defense for extended stretches during the playoffs. The Heat reached the Finals largely on the strength of their offense, which dominated the league's No. 1 (Indiana) and No. 6 (Charlotte) defenses. Miami scored 12.9 more points per 100 possessions during the East playoffs than its opponents allowed during the regular season (weighted by games played), but allowed them to score 2.8 more points per 100 possessions than usual.

By contrast, San Antonio's playoff run has been incredibly balanced. In fact, the Spurs have been slightly better on defense (plus-7.4 points per 100 possessions better than opponent averages) than offense (plus-6.9). That kind of balance is rare in the postseason. Just five teams since the ABA-NBA merger have been at least six points better than average per 100 possessions at both ends of the court.

Putting it Together

A regression that combines regular-season win differential and playoff performance leading up to the Finals -- but not defensive rating, which isn't statistically significant as part of a regression -- correctly retrodicts 27 of the past 30 Finals outcomes. Based on that, San Antonio has an 88 percent chance of winning the Finals.

The good news for Miami? As you might guess from going through the indicators, the biggest upset in modern Finals history was pulled off by another Heat team with Dwyane Wade.

Still, nine of the 10 teams most heavily favored entering the Finals won the series, and none of the underdogs even forced a Game 7. The 2006 Finals are also the exception to the rule when it comes to favorites who had a better point differential in both the regular season and the conference playoffs. Those teams are 11-1 in the past three decades.

Despite this overwhelming evidence, the Heat are only slight underdogs to win the series in Las Vegas. The most common line suggests the Spurs have a 57 percent chance to win. In part, the discrepancy can be traced to the popularity of Miami, as two-time defending champion. But it also surely reflects a belief we still haven't seen the best of the Heat, given Miami's tendency to play better when behind in series and in fourth quarters.

That might prove the case, because the Heat haven't yet been seriously challenged in the playoffs. But they'll have to raise their level considerably to match the way San Antonio is playing. Six times this postseason, the Spurs have beaten opponents by 20 points more than an average team in the same situation. Miami has done that only once -- the closeout Game 6 against Indiana.

If the Heat are to win their third consecutive championship, it will mean defying three decades' worth of Finals trends.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #681
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

But if you ask me I think the Heat will probably win. Tony Parker on a bum ankle = no chance. Plus, Wade is healthy this year. I see the Heat winning in 5.

That's the thing about advanced metrics - they usually do a poor job of taking injuries into account.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #682
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I love how you post a well put together argument for the spurs...and a long one at that...then say right afterwards that you personally think the heat will win lol.
Appreciate 0