XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
How do you cook your meats?! Sous-Vide

Did a search and didn't see a thread dedicated to sous-vide so figured what the hell! Just picked up an Anova BT sous vide cooker that is currently on sale! Been looking at a ton of youtube videos and it looks amazing how well and juicy everything comes out!

Share your experiences and recipes!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

I like sous-vide, but in small doses. I remember when it was so hot a few years back...like every restaurant in NJ was doing it, especially Elements in Princeton. They sous-vide everything! Short ribs, eggs, pork chops. I was like come on!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Did a search and didn't see a thread dedicated to sous-vide so figured what the hell! Just picked up an Anova BT sous vide cooker that is currently on sale! Been looking at a ton of youtube videos and it looks amazing how well and juicy everything comes out!

Share your experiences and recipes!
Congratulations! I hope it works out well for you and you get lots of use out of it.
      05-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

I use my sous vide a lot. Here's some steaks I've done with it.
Attached Images

05-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
That looks insanely good, and most definitely a worthy investment; never had anything sous-vide before... But until I get some funds set aside, I have to stick to pan searing or the cheap stovetop grill
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I love to Sous Vide! My constant challenge with grilling steaks was to obtain a consistent "medium rare" cooked steak. When I say consistent I am talking about the post by AW335TT on this thread where he shows photographs of his steaks. My family all prefer a medium rare steak, and since I now Sous Vide the steaks I am able to accomplish the perfect medium rare steak. The family loves the results. I use the following product to Sous Vide: SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches, SVV-00304 available on Amazon in small and large sizes. The reason I use these bags is that they are free of BPA, lead and phthalates, and thus do not leach any of these items into the food. Ziploc bags will do the latter (I established this fact in my research to find the perfect Sous Vide bag). These bags are pretty robust, they can be washed and re-used if you want to save a little coin.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Never heard of it until this forum. I use a grill to cook my meat.
Appreciate 6
      05-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
I use my sous vide a lot. Here's some steaks I've done with it.
Oh man! My mouth is watering just looking at some of these. what I am most excited about is being able to make perfect poached eggs

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I love to Sous Vide! My constant challenge with grilling steaks was to obtain a consistent "medium rare" cooked steak. When I say consistent I am talking about the post by AW335TT on this thread where he shows photographs of his steaks. My family all prefer a medium rare steak, and since I now Sous Vide the steaks I am able to accomplish the perfect medium rare steak. The family loves the results. I use the following product to Sous Vide: SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches, SVV-00304 available on Amazon in small and large sizes. The reason I use these bags is that they are free of BPA, lead and phthalates, and thus do not leach any of these items into the food. Ziploc bags will do the latter (I established this fact in my research to find the perfect Sous Vide bag). These bags are pretty robust, they can be washed and re-used if you want to save a little coin.
Excellent post! I was going to use ziplock bags but I will check out the Supreme bags now. Thank you!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Nothing like having the boys over, cracking open a few lagers, sitting outside in the beautiful weather around the... meat boiler.

Sigh...
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Nothing like having the boys over, cracking open a few lagers, sitting outside in the beautiful weather around the... meat boiler.

Sigh...
You should be banned from Texas!

Shiner Bock and...sous vide Nolan Ryan ribeyes? No thanks.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sous Vide, low and slow and reverse searing
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post

Sous vide Nolan Ryan ribeye go better with a Cosmopolitan. heh...
      05-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

I'm a big advocate of sous vide. Been doing it for about 3 years now. The "sous vide haters" probably enjoyed a delicious steak at a fancy restaurant that was cooked via sous vide and didn't even realize it.

Ribeye

Beef Cheeks

Prime Rib (notice the nonexistent gray band)

Works great on slow braises like Short Ribs and Pork Belly too and comes out super tender. Give it a try before you knock it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
I'm a big advocate of sous vide. Been doing it for about 3 years now. The "sous vide haters" probably enjoyed a delicious steak at a fancy restaurant that was cooked via sous vide and didn't even realize it.

Ribeye

Beef Cheeks

Works great on slow braises like Short Ribs and Pork Belly too and comes out super tender. Give it a try before you knock it.
Sous vide short ribs are great. You really get to introduce the flavors and break down the tough tissue.

I've had sous vide steak - wagyu ribeye at Elements in Princeton. Honestly just not used to the taste. Almost too fleshy, had a bunk to it. I prefer the traditional methods that steakhouses use. And no, the bunk wasn't the aged meat bunk.

In the end, it just a matter of "taste". For me, steak isn't for sous vide.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et

Sigh...
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #17
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post

Ribeye

Beef Cheeks

Sous vide short ribs are great. You really get to introduce the flavors and break down the tough tissue.

I've had sous vide steak - wagyu ribeye at Elements in Princeton. Honestly just not used to the taste. Almost too fleshy, had a bunk to it. I prefer the traditional methods that steakhouses use. And no, the bunk wasn't the aged meat bunk.

Sous vide doesn't add a "taste" to the steaks.
      05-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #18
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:

For highly marbleized steak like Wagyu, you may be better off with a traditional grilling method because the fat needs a higher heat to render than you would typically get from sous vide and you want that fat to render to unlock the flavor and tenderness. For everything else, you can't beat the consistency and evenness of sous vide.

I usually sous vide my Short Ribs for 72 hours and they come out with the texture of a good Prime Rib, I kid you not. I also sous vide Pork Belly for 72 hours and it comes out gelatinous.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Hands down, the best cooking tool I've ever purchased. One of the best things I've made other than steak (which is what I primarily use it for) is short ribs. The 72-hr version is the best but I've done as little as 24 hrs.
      05-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

Banned from Texas? We use grilles and smokers here. Not meat boilers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Born in Argentina, parents are Italian.. We only use grills and stoves..cooking anything well specially a steak requires lots of practice, that's how you learn to grill and cook, plus I hate boiled steaks..this method might work for some just not my style or preference
      05-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #22
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Excellent post! I was going to use ziplock bags but I will check out the Supreme bags now. Thank you!!!
Yes, the makers of Ziploc bags published a statement that their bags are NOT safe for Sous Vide - I established this when I was researching for bags to use as I don't have a vacuum sealer.
Appreciate 0