XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #67
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
At least 20%. I rarely ever have bad service so I've been fortunate. Now in the rare circumstances I have food delivered, I always take care of the delivery driver. They remember, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #68
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I think he was responding to you incorrectly spelling college as collage, not challenging the pecking order of education in the UK.

Also, it is you're, not your.
Oops, I'm actually a bit embarrassed for him.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #69
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Oops, I'm actually a bit embarrassed for him.
It happen's two teh beast of us. Know big deal.

Seriously, I do find it interesting how posters who correct other peoples' posts for grammar, spelling, punctuation, incorrect word choice, etc, have a tendency to make errors in the very post where they are educating the offender.

Personally, I try to get it right as much as I can, but I am sure I screw up from time to time. If the reader can figure out what I meant to say, that's the most important thing. Conversely, I'm not too judgemental when other people screw up.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #70
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I've basically stopped eating at "casual dining" type places where I can make better food at home. These include garbage places like Outback, Chili's, Saltgrass, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Friday's, Cheesecake Factory, Tona Roma's, Macaroni Grill, etc.

If I go out, it's a higher end restaurant where servers are actually professionals and the food requires some technique to cook. I tip 30%.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #71
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1 View Post
Here in the midwest, 20% is the standard, unless you are a cheap prick, or the service is noticeably bad. Pay cash and it's all the server's money. Tip on your credit card, she has to share. Not too hard to figure that out when the food's late or not up to the pre-billing.

Married to an ex-waitress, now a psychiatrist. Doesn't matter if it's a diner or a Michelin 4 star... less than 20% (unless something was seriously wrong with the wait staff) and you are a piece of shit. Welcome to the Midwest, we take take of our own...

And definitely deduct the tax before the tip. They all get that....
First, you may tip 20% but I doubt it is the standard. How can you possibly know what all other people in your region tip?

Second, tipping tends to go up with the consumption of alcohol. So if the standard in the midwest is really 20% as you say, then could it be that you guys and gals drink a wee bit more than regions with a 15% tipping standard?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #72
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1 View Post
Here in the midwest, 20% is the standard, unless you are a cheap prick, or the service is noticeably bad. Pay cash and it's all the server's money. Tip on your credit card, she has to share. Not too hard to figure that out when the food's late or not up to the pre-billing.

Married to an ex-waitress, now a psychiatrist. Doesn't matter if it's a diner or a Michelin 4 star... less than 20% (unless something was seriously wrong with the wait staff) and you are a piece of shit. Welcome to the Midwest, we take take of our own...

And definitely deduct the tax before the tip. They all get that....
Michelin stars only go up to 3, FYI.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #73
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

It depends on the country.

There are some local places here that have done away with tipping.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #74
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
It depends on the country.

There are some local places here that have done away with tipping.
And I'm sure the service blows.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #75
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

If you can't afford to tip properly then you can't afford to eat out, and if you don't tip or look for reasons not to tip, you are an asshole. I worked as a server for half of high school and all of college and I can tell you that the waitstaff absolutely bust their asses just like the rest of us. Trouble is, they aren't paid for it. Servers make far less than minimum wage in the US. In Mississippi for example the minimum wage is 7.25; if you are a server you will start at 2.13 and probably stay there. They rely almost entirely on tips because it is assumed that they will get them.

Additionally you will work for longer than you are paid to. Restaurant closes at 9:30, you MIGHT get out of there by 11 if you are quick to reset your tables, roll silverware, clean the bathrooms, wipe up that unidentifiable shit underneath table 46 and the people who came in at 9:25 eat relatively quickly. You will cut lemons for the bar and nick your fingers while you are at it. You will panic when the kitchen goes to hell and your orders are coming out 10 minutes apart. You will get double or triple sat when the restaurant is short staffed and have to coordinate it at the drop of a hat. But worst of all, you will ALWAYS have some dick who tips you $3 on a $120 ticket and makes you worry about paying your bills on time. It's an incredibly stressful job and it's hard to do it right. It drives me up the wall when people talk about how they don't tip like it's some point of pride that they're a cheap-ass, because they're not just ordering food but also a service.

A proper tip is 20%. If your server is outstanding then 25-30% is in order. If your bill is less than 10 bucks, tip at least 30%.

Another thing, don't take pens from the table because servers often have to buy them from the restaurant (40 cents apiece was what I had to pay and at least 5 a night would get taken).

Last edited by PINeely; 04-11-2016 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #76
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Plenty of people talk about the reasons that you should tip your servers appropriately for their benefit, but I want to talk about how you should tip appropriately for your own benefit. You want over the moon service? Don't just expect it, pay for it. I usually go to the same few restaurants and everyone who works at them knows me because I tip well. At one of them the bartenders know all three of my cars and my drink is usually sitting on the bar at my usual seat when I walk through the door. They'll give me free food and drinks sometimes (It's often cheaper tipping 30% than not tipping at all when this happens) and the waitstaff will come chat with me when the place isn't busy. I've been invited to movies, to go drinking, to shoot pool, fishing and so on. And I always get outstanding service, not just from the bartender or my server, from everyone. Let them know that you appreciate the time and effort they are giving and they will let you know how much they appreciate you, guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #77
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
If you can't afford to tip properly then you can't afford to eat out, and if you don't tip or look for reasons not to tip, you are an asshole. I worked as a server for half of high school and all of college and I can tell you that the waitstaff absolutely bust their asses just like the rest of us. Trouble is, they aren't paid for it. Servers make far less than minimum wage in the US. In Mississippi for example the minimum wage is 7.25; if you are a server you will start at 2.13 and probably stay there. They rely almost entirely on tips because it is assumed that they will get them.

Additionally you will work for longer than you are paid to. Restaurant closes at 9:30, you MIGHT get out of there by 11 if you are quick to reset your tables, roll silverware, clean the bathrooms, wipe up that unidentifiable shit underneath table 46 and the people who came in at 9:25 eat relatively quickly. You will cut lemons for the bar and nick your fingers while you are at it. You will panic when the kitchen goes to hell and your orders are coming out 10 minutes apart. You will get double or triple sat when the restaurant is short staffed and have to coordinate it at the drop of a hat. But worst of all, you will ALWAYS have some dick who tips you $3 on a $120 ticket and makes you worry about paying your bills on time. It's an incredibly stressful job and it's hard to do it right. It drives me up the wall when people talk about how they don't tip like it's some point of pride that they're a cheap-ass, because they're not just ordering food but also a service.

A proper tip is 20%. If your server is outstanding then 25-30% is in order. If your bill is less than 10 bucks, tip at least 30%.

Another thing, don't take pens from the table because servers often have to buy them from the restaurant (40 cents apiece was what I had to pay and at least 5 a night would get taken).

http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-restaurant.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #78
MarkM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: B7 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
The hardest job you had was serving??? Seriously

I did it thru uni and it was the easiest job I've ever had in my life, what on earth is hard about taking people food, chatting and managing the kitchen staff to ensure your tables are fed in time ??? Long hours .... But hey so are a lot of jobs when your a kid

It was my 'look back and laugh so much how easy life was' job.....

I literally can't think of an easier job i ever had, but then again it was just a kids job, for youngsters, if your still doing it you need to question your life choices and not the actual job, your an adult, you shouldn't still be serving people dinner after collage. Perhaps that's why it's tough ??? But let's be honest servers are not hard done by at all

Also higher people ???? Seriously ????

Hire is the word your looking for.... I'm actually embarrassed for you
Actually scored 30 on my act and am a straight A student. Speak 3 languages. Just didn't proof read and was very hung over.

Yes it's challenging. We have over 200 hundred bottles of wine that we serve that I have to be fluent in (mind you we replace half throughout the year), the vast knowledge I have of produce alone would rival most farmers and the amount patients necessary to please people is a beauty of its own.

2 years ago I was sitting in a meeting with the head of CBS Dallas radio trying to work out a deal for a company I was helping out for fun. No degree in marketing or anything similar. Not only was the head of CBS radio pleased with me, he was impressed with my knowledge of the field. We had a good laugh together after I informed him I read up on marketing over the Internet in a few nights.

Honestly I could go on and on as far as my accomplishments but it's sounds like you are bitter for some odd reason. I wish you the best and hope that one day you will get that we are here to learn from each other broaden our horizons.

Last edited by MarkM5; 04-11-2016 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #79
logicc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

I hate the idea of tipping altogether unless it's being treated as an actual tip as in, "wow you did more than just your job and I truly had an above average experience here." I have numerous friends who are in the service industry and different restaurants who complain about people who don't tip and that hurts their bottom line. Mind you from some of these same people I've heard how if they screwed up an order they'll blame it on the kitchen when talking to the customer in order to avoid hurting their chance at a good tip.

To many people have complained at me when I've had, in my eyes, bad service and refused to tip. Some of these people being ex-employee's in the service industry and trying to get my to sympathize. While I'm sure it makes me sound heartless, and I swear I'm not, from what I can gather some of these people are just ignorant/stupid and in my eyes deserve the salary they get.

From what I've read from multiple sites nicely summed up here (actually follow the references before calling bs, references are there for a reason people):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped..._United_States
these people should be making minimum wage regardless. Something I've tried to explain to my friends who have these types of jobs. I'm quite willing to have an educated conversation with these people about the matter. But too often these same people respond with, "idk why I get paid the way I do/I don't understand how it works attitudes." So to me at the end of the day if you salary doesn't mean s*** to you then it certainly doesn't me s*** to me either.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #80
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Interesting thread. When growing up, my Mother owned a small restaurant where I worked from the age of 12, until I could get a "real" job. I probably tip too much. Here are a couple things to remember.
- Tipped professions have a lower (much lower) minimum wage, at least here in the US
- Tipped professions do not pay tax on declared tips, they pay tax on a percentage of their receipts (it was 15% at some point) - this is dated information, but I doubt it has changed.
- As bimmette said, many issues are not the fault of the server

I usually tip 20%. I'll go under if it was something bad specifically on the part of the server - usually this is an attitude-related thing. If they are pleasant and trying, they get my tip. I will go higher if above expectations. I skew higher when it is my money and maybe a little lower when it is a business expense. I may go a little lower if it is a monster bill, like a multiple thousand bill for a group, unless there are multiple servers. Outside of the US, all bets are off.
      04-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #81
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

I do 15% for normal service, 20% for good, 25% for exceptional.

Delivery / take out I do 10%.

I often go to breakfast places where the bill is 20$. It can go as high as 50%. I'm not tipping someone 3$...
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 06:10 AM   #82
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_
I do 15% for normal service, 20% for good, 25% for exceptional.

Delivery / take out I do 10%.

I often go to breakfast places where the bill is 20$. It can go as high as 50%. I'm not tipping someone 3$...
This. Also, if I am meeting someone and sit for two hours with a $10 bill, I'll tip much higher. It's like rent for lost revenue for the server.
      04-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #83
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

20% usually. I've watched with interest as "the usual tip" went from 10%, to 15%, and then to 20% or more, over the course of my life.

I am not above sending a message with a tip. Last week I left 5% because of how much time we wasted just sitting there with no food or drinks at the front end, then waiting for the bill and again for the slip at the end of the meal. No way it was the kitchen, and the tables weren't all occupied so it wasn't overload either.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #84
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
20% all the time unless the service is complete shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #85
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Egregious Service: 5% - 10%
Average Service: 15%
Good Service: 18%
Great Service: 20%
Exceptional Service: 25%+
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #86
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Egregious Service: 5% - 10%
Why would you pay extra for that?

I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #87
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post
Why would you pay extra for that?

I don't get it.
A couple reasons. It's not always the server's fault, so I don't want to completely shaft them. Other times I want to "send a message", and I personally think a $1 tip sends more of a message than $0.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #88
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
A couple reasons. It's not always the server's fault, so I don't want to completely shaft them. Other times I want to "send a message", and I personally think a $1 tip sends more of a message than $0.
Yep... $1 says, "Nope, I didn't forget, you just sucked."

They may choose to think you are an asshole, but they cannot choose to think you forgot.