XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
rockriver15
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

2011 50i intercooler reservoir

Hey guys,

I had a quick question, new to me 2011 X5 50i. I was wiping the engine compartment down and familiarizing myself with as much as I could under the hood. One thing I checked was the intercooler reservoir located under the engine cover between the two intercoolers. The fluid was not filled up to the MIN line in the reservoir. It looked like there may have been fluid below that but it was difficult to see because of the size.

I guess the question I have is that the sign of a potential problem anyone has any experience with? Or just simply used some fluid over it's 33,000 mile lifespan? The frustrating part is that it was at bmw for an oil change service and brake fluid flush, one would think this would be checked. Also anyone know if a sensor would come on if it was too low?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
rockriver15
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Update: I just checked the reservoir again after only about 100-150 miles of driving and it's EMPTY! I checked under the car and does not appear to be any leaks. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I filled it up again, my thought is maybe the reservoir emptied because it needed the fluid in the intercoolers because it was low.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver15 View Post
Update: I just checked the reservoir again after only about 100-150 miles of driving and it's EMPTY! I checked under the car and does not appear to be any leaks. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I filled it up again, my thought is maybe the reservoir emptied because it needed the fluid in the intercoolers because it was low.
Did you ever find out the cause of this?
Appreciate 0